574     0 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Jul. 23, 2006. 01:00 AM
CHRISTOPHER MAUGHAN

You need a toaster oven, a new dress shirt and some aspirin. What do you do?
In any other city, you make three trips, but in Toronto, you go to Honest Ed's.
On the occasion of Ed Mirvish's 92nd birthday, the store with the garish, 23,000-bulb sign at the corner of Bloor and Bathurst is still evolving as the emporium of all things. As of May, it added an immigration centre to its list of goods and services, which also includes a dental office and a beauty salon.
Of course, it's still necessary to negotiate the maze of counters, half-floors, little nooks and mirrors that give the place its charm but also frustrate first-timers to no end.
In theory, there's no reason ever to shop at another store. So the Star decided to put that theory to the test. The mission: furnish a bachelor apartment using only items found at Honest Ed's, and do it for less than $500.
Rats. Guess that $6,500 antique Buddhist shrine by the Pepsi and paper towels will have to wait.
First things first: the big-ticket items. At just over the $350 mark, most of those are taken care of, including desk ($99), DVD player ($49), coffee table ($89) and TV ($149). The DVD player even has a built-in karaoke machine — that staple of any decent bachelor pad.
As for a futon sofa-bed, the store was out of stock, so our bachelor will be sleeping on the floor, albeit with some extra cash in hand.
Should be a cinch coming in under $500.
But as most locals know, it's easy to get distracted at Honest Ed's. There's something about that store that makes the desire for kitsch overpowering.
Maybe it's the black and white movie stars of decades past staring at you from behind the '50s-era cash registers. Liberace and Tony Bennett are Ed's favourites, says store manager Russell Lazar, who's tagging along on the first leg of the mission, pausing at points of interest along the way.
Whatever the reason, it's hard not to find yourself wanting that statue of a cartoon pig in a police uniform, or those fun little birds that keep bobbing for water.
Then there are the antiques, which are out of everyone's price range but add to the distraction anyway. Every so often, though, some eccentric buyer will surprise the staff with a big purchase.
"We sold a couple of these stoves recently," says Lazar, pointing to a group of black cast-iron relics. "A guy from Thunder Bay who actually collects these came down and bought them."
Lazar explains that a lot of the antiques come from former Mirvish theatre productions. "We have people from all over buy our antiques; we even used to sell some on eBay. People as far as Las Vegas would buy them."
The iron stoves seem out of place among all the gilded wood of oriental statues, rickshaws and miniature dragon boats. Honest Ed's is all about weird juxtapositions— a few years back they even had a snack bar in the middle of the ladies' wear section.
Consider the objet on view outside the linens department. It's hard to believe anyone not on a serious drug trip would be in the market for this giant cuckoo clock adorned with a deranged-looking moose head. He stares down at passersby with bug eyes and a maniacal grin, and if you've got 20-foot-high ceilings and $15,000, you can take him home with you.
If you're a rich eccentric, but a little more conservative, you can get a $500 machine that turns a penny into a flat pendant with an inscription of the Lord's Prayer. Sounds pretty steep, especially for a machine that no longer works, but Lazar insists it's a true Honest Ed's bargain.
But back to the task at hand: furnishing that apartment. In the linens department, the pillows were printed with bunny ears or wacky-looking animals, and the sheets felt chintzy, but at $5 and $8 respectively, who cares. And at just $12, you can get a lovely set of brown, floral printed drapes that would go great with a puke-green carpet.
It's still necessary to negotiate the maze of counters, half-floors, little nooks and mirrors that give Honest Ed's its wacky charm
So, the mission continues to be a success. Perhaps it wasn't that much of a challenge in the first place. Honest Ed's customers certainly didn't seem to think so.
"Oh, yeah, I think it's doable," long-time shopper James Gow says the of $500 limit. For him, the real challenge of Honest Ed's is making it out of there without getting lost. "But people like it. I think a lot of the people who come here from other countries are used to the hodgepodge."
"When I get here, I'm laughing because the prices are so cheap," says Osinowo Kunle, who's been coming to the store for the past 18 years. "But I also really like this place because it's different. It's not so impersonal. It's like the markets back home in Nigeria."
Moving through the store, Lazar pauses on one landing, pointing to a picture of a greasy-haired, stubbly, toothless old man. Underneath his photo, a caption reads, "Honest Ed welcomes you."
"Back in the '50s, before he became a public figure, people used to think this guy was Honest Ed," says Lazar, grinning. "But his name was Dick. He was a homeless man who helped Ed clean up around the store. He had a bit of a drinking problem, but he was proud to work here and Ed always kept him on."
One night, when Dick had been picked up after a bender, police actually mistook him for Mirvish. They even called Ed's mother in the middle of the night to say he'd been arrested.
Spend any time in Honest Ed's and you realize that, besides the kitsch and the bargains, a lot of the charm comes from the people who shop and work there — many of whom have relationships with the place going back decades.
Take Lazar, for example. He's been working there for 40 years. "I started when I was 5," he likes to tell people (but he does not like to divulge his age). Even though he's a manager who spends a lot of his time in an office, the customers know him well.
"Aren't you Russell Lazar?" a smiling woman asks as she passes us.
"Well, hi, how are you?" he answers warmly.
"You know, I've been coming here 30 years, but I didn't recognize you," she says. "You were a lot skinnier."
Stella Cordoso has been at Ed's for 24 years, and says she'd never dream of working for anybody but Mirvish as she shows off the gold watch he gave her for her 20th anniversary at the store.
"I learned all my English working here," she says with a slight Eastern European accent. "Now, when there's a customer who doesn't speak English well, they always ask, `Where's Stella?'
Given that newcomers to Canada have long been a big part of Mirvish's clientele, Cordoso gets to practise her Polish, Russian, Czech and Ukrainian pretty regularly. She says hearing a familiar language makes the store especially homey for a lot of newcomers.
So much so that Leslie Lakos, the full-time immigration consultant, says he doesn't feel the least bit out of place at his little desk in the middle of the department store.
This store was built on the concept of immigrants," he says with a smile, leaning in for emphasis. "Think about it. Why wouldn't you sell meat in a kitchen?"
Newcomers are a part of the clientele that Lazar says is close to Mirvish's heart. In his office, among the awards, letters from prime ministers and world leaders, antique swords and photos of celebrities, you'll find two seashells sitting on a postcard from a former customer. "Dear Mister Ed," it says. "These two shells are from my home village. I wanted you to have them."
On the way down from Mirvish's office, the remaining items for the apartment get taken care of and, lo and behold, there's $30 left on the tab.
Just enough for a bust of Elvis. The only question is whether to get the shiny bronze model, or the rosy-cheeked, blue-suede-lapelled version of the King.
"It's strange, but they're one of our biggest-selling items," says Lazar, who clearly has an anecdote for just about every item in every department of the store. "Once, a couple came in here to get their wedding pictures taken.
"They wanted a souvenir and asked for our kitschiest item. So we gave them one of these, and Ed even signed it."

Erin Mills is getting a Springs Rolls Go. I'm not familiar with the concept though, is it take-out only or does it have a dine-in area?

Should have a dine-in. I think their take-out only locations are called "GO". They need to update their website.

I think the one that's two doors down from the Yonge and Charles location is a Go as well, which was originally just a Spring Rolls. I believe the menu selection is more limited, but it's cheaper?

I've passed by it, but didn't know it was so cool!

Peter Kuitenbrouwer
National Post

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Fish is prepared at Taro's Fish in Markham's J-Town, a shopping mall of all things Japanese, from pickled dikon radish to comic books.
MARKHAM - If you are ready to move beyond sushi, it may be time to head to J-Town.

J-Town, tucked out of the way along a commercial strip at 3160 Steeles Ave. E. in Markham, is a shopping mall of all things Japanese, from pickled dikon radish to comic books.

Yes, there is a takeout sushi place here, too. There is nothing wrong with sushi, but it is nice to sample the rest of the vast pantheon of Japanese culture and cuisine.

Historically, Toronto's Japanese have not congregated in one neighbourhood, and similarly their stores have sprung up all across the region. Takeshi Hibino, who hails from Nagoya, Japan, came to Canada as a Toyota mechanic. Seventeen years ago, his family opened Heisei Mart, a Japanese grocery store, at Victoria Park Avenue and Finch Avenue. When his lease ended in 1998, Mr. Hibino called his friends at Kobo Jewelery and Taro's Fish, two Japanese shops in Mississauga. He suggested they join forces, and J-Town came to life.

For want of a Japanese neighbourhood, they chose a spot next to Don Valley North Lexus Toyota; these days, the Japanese mechanics at Toyota come here for lunch.

My first stop was Cafe Green Tea. The cafe, which opened three years ago, is the innovation of Keiko Hibino, Mr. Hibino's wife. No sushi here; the specialties are noodle dishes and curry dishes. Prices are very reasonable.

I tried the tempura udon (fat noodles in soup with two pieces of deep fried shrimp). At $6.98, it was delicious. To wash it down, the place offers complimentary cold roasted barley tea. The first sip tastes like the bottom of a cup of coffee you left on your desk for a few hours, and then you realize it is unique and refreshing.

"Most people think Japanese food equals sushi or teriyaki," said Anne Hibino, the middle of the Hibinos' three daughters, who was born in Canada. "My mom said she wanted something homestyle. It's really simple food."

So instead of gaudy kimonos you get Keiko Hibino in an apron, her hair held back in a sensible green kerchief. She whips up Mother's Meal: four pieces of breaded shrimp, salad, potato salad, oranges, rice and miso soup, $7.

Father's Meal, another specialty, features a hamburger patty, choice of breaded shrimp or chicken, cabbage, potato salad, oranges, rice and miso soup, $8.

(Japanese hamburger is quite different from the one we know. Ms. Hibino first cooks onions for two hours. Then she mixes in ground pork and ground beef, salt, pepper, milk, panko bread crumbs and tomato sauce to make her flavourful patties.)

And try the iced coffee, $2.50.

The grocery store is fun to browse, chock full of shrimp-flavoured chips, pickled radish, red and white miso (soybean paste), along with organic Japanese cucumber, eggplant and other vegetables.

The bakery offers big square loaves of white, whole wheat and even "French" bread (which looks nothing like what we call French bread). I asked Anne the difference between Japanese white bread and Wonder Bread.

"If you have food and it doesn't get bad after three days, you start to question it," she replied.

Taro's Fish specializes in fish that's good to eat raw, i.e. sashimi style. Wild bass, from Boston, is $6.95 per 100 g; octopus, from off Morocco, costs $6.50 per 100 g. You can also buy a prepackaged array of nine kinds of sashimi fish, enough for two people, $25.

Taro Akiyama, the owner, knows his fish.

"I grew up with the ocean in Shikoku," he explained.

These days, business is booming here, and half the customers at Taro's Fish are non-Japanese. He has only one complaint.

"Can you please tell the landlord to put a better sign?" Mr. Akiyama asked. "We're always complaining, but he doesn't listen."

J-Town, on Steeles just east of Warden Avenue, is open Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m.-7 p.m., Sunday 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Taro's Fish is closed Monday and Tuesday.

"J-Town, on Steeles just east of Warden Avenue"

They mean Woodbine...it's next to Buffet City, which replaced Town & Country, which used to be our favourite buffet. We stopped going there when Frankie Tomatto's opened a few blocks away, with its exotic Italian food.

Yum, that Town & Country was good until the renovation. And then it was Ho Shim, and now Buffet City. That's right, I don't know why I didn't see their mistake. East of Warden is a residential subdivision!

Honest Ed's is the best store in Toronto. I've found some incredible stuff there for insane prices. You never know what interesting stuff he's gonna have. I go about once a week and I was born in Toronto, so it ain't just for immigrants.

As a matter of fact, I think I've seen Babel there on a few occasions but it's also a good place to cruise men, so that's not surprising. Gay men love Honest Ed's!:lol

Nice try, dear. I haven't been inside that place since I lived in a highrise apartment in 1990, and shopped there to stock up on Roach Motels.

I wonder if this would be a good idea in Ontario?

By DUNCAN MANSFIELD, The Associated Press
Jul 29, 2006 7:55 AM (23 hrs ago)
Current rank: # 92 of 4,089 articles

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - With toddler Maggie on her hip and young Elijah at her hand, Sherry Stephenson looked through the aisles of colorful notebooks and binders at P&S School Office & Art Supply. They were picking up a few things for 7-year-old Elijah's first day of school, still a few weeks away. But they were going to wait to buy the big-ticket item, his school uniforms, on Aug. 4-6 - Tennessee's first sales tax holiday.

"I think it sounds swell," Stephenson said, "because we usually end up spending quite a lot of money on school supplies. Every little bit helps."

Thirteen states and Washington, D.C., have sales tax holidays pegged to back-to-school shopping. Tennessee, Alabama and Virginia are new this year, and Maryland is offering a tax break again for the first time since 2001.

The other sales tax holiday states are Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina and Texas. New York, the first state to offer a sales tax holiday in 1997, ultimately made a sales tax exemption on clothing and shoes under $110 permanent in April.

Most holidays fall on the first weekend in August and apply to moderately priced clothing, school supplies and sometimes computers.

They are wildly popular - merchants say they boost sales, politicians say they give working families a tax break, and consumers say they can save hundreds of dollars. But the overall benefits are hard to quantify, and some critics consider the tax strategy little more than a gimmick.

Scott Krugman, spokesman for the National Retail Federation, said merchants are particularly eager for a sales tax holiday this year. "Since consumer spending has been slowing down, retailers are very anxious to give consumers a reason to come into the stores," he said.

"Sales tax holidays are tremendously successful," said Craig Shearman, another spokesman for the National Retail Federation. He has heard of sales gains of 10 percent to 100 percent during these holiday periods, but believes the actual number is somewhere in between.

For consumers, the holidays may have a significance greater than any actual savings.

It's the idea simply of "not paying sales tax," Shearman said. "Americans have hated paying taxes all the way back to the Boston Tea Party."

Laurie Peterson Aldrich, president of the Virginia Retail Merchants Association, expects her state's sales tax holiday, also Aug. 4-6, will be an instant hit despite the relatively modest savings.

"It is one of those things you always have to pay, and suddenly you're getting one over the government and you're not having to pay it," she said.

Verenda Smith, spokeswoman for the Federation of Tax Administrators, said a psychological element is at work. "People respond to a sale, and this is a government sale," she said.

Retailers in Tennessee hope so. Outlet malls in the Great Smoky Mountains and shopping malls in Knoxville and Nashville are planning extended hours and special promotions fortified by public relations campaigns by state revenue and tourism offices.

"We wanted to turn it into a big event," said Lynn Kittel, marketing director at the 200-store Opry Mills shopping center in Nashville. The mall is offering overnight shopping packages with nearby Gaylord Opryland Resort hotel.

"Obviously, there is going to be a huge amount of traffic through here," she said. "Our experience with other properties owned by our developer, the (Maryland-based) Mills Corp., is that it is huge in other states. Texas, huge. Florida, very big."

Texas, which has held a sales tax holiday since 1999, expects shoppers to save $49 million during its back-to-school weekend on Aug. 4-6. Florida, which has held a back-to-school sales tax moratorium since 1998, expects its nine-day July 22-30 event to save consumers $39 million.

Tennessee's holiday package was adopted in 2005, but delayed until state coffers could absorb a projected $10 million tax break to consumers. The package is typical: No state or local sales taxes on clothing items or individual school supplies under $100 or personal computers under $1,500.

By comparison, Virginia will exempt school supplies up to $20 per item and clothing and shoes up to $100 each from its 5 percent sales tax. The tax break is estimated at $3.6 million.

The impact is greater in Tennessee because the state relies so heavily on a sales tax in the absence of an income tax. The state sales tax is 7 percent and local governments are allowed up to 2.75 percent. The combined 9.75 percent represents nearly $1 on every $10 in purchases.

Under the Tennessee plan, the state will restore to local governments any sales tax revenue lost during the holiday - about $2 million of the $10 million total impact.

"Creating the sales tax holiday was one of my goals from the beginning of my administration," said Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen, who campaigned on the issue in 2002. "The sales tax holiday positively impacts education, our No. 1 priority, ... (and) will provide tax savings for Tennessee working families as they prepare for the school year."

State Senate Majority Leader Ron Ramsey, R-Blountville, suspects the Democratic governor stole the initiative from the Republicans, but he's pleased in any case.

"Any time we can give tax breaks to citizens that is good," said Ramsey.

The Republican leader said a sales tax holiday seemed the simplest way of achieving that end. Tennessee lawmakers already have adopted a second, one-time tax holiday for April.

"It is perfectly understandable why it would be politically popular," said Scott Pattison, executive director of the National Association of State Budget Officers. "But if you were just analyzing it from a straight policy side, you would probably say it is not great tax policy" because of the revenue loss.

"I guess you have to ask what are your goals," he said.

Kaye O'Brien, a kindergarten teacher who is married to a teacher in rural Jamestown about a half hour from the Kentucky state line, said Tennessee's sales tax holiday fits nicely with her goals.

"We are doing our pay-as-you-go plan for our (two) children in college, and we watch the coupons and sales," she said. "Yeah, it is going to be great."

Hollie Shaw
Financial Post

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Carter's, the top-selling baby clothing brand in the U.S. and owner of the B'Gosh clothing line for kids, will begin opening retail outlet stores in Canada next year.

The Financial Post has learned that Mal Coven, founder of the defunct discount chain BiWay, has reached an agreement with Atlanta-based Carter's Inc. to open a children's clothing and accessory chain across Canada under the Carter's/OshKosh banner.

The first three OshKosh and Carter's co-branded outlets will open in August, 2007, a spokesperson for the Coven Group said.

As many as 29 of the big-box outlet stores could open over five years under both brands or the Carter's name alone, depending on how Canadians react to one of the fastest-growing childrens' brands in the United States.

The news comes three years after the successful Canadian entry of U.S. retailer The Children's Place. Industry sources say infant clothing and kidswear is a stable-growth category in Canada with ample room for consolidation.

"Carter's is a very big line and [Mr. Coven] is a serious operator," Fred Waks, chief operating officer of real estate developer RioCan REIT, said in an interview. RioCan is working with Mr. Coven to lease a number of big-box sites.

The Children's Place has more than tripled its market share to 2.4% of the Canadian juvenile market since the U.S. retailer opened boutiques across the country in 2003, according to market researcher Trendex North America. The retailer has 54 Canadian stores.

"Even though the [Canadian] birth rate isn't climbing, it is a good market because of immigration," said retail consultant David Howell, president of Associate Marketing International.

"Historically, a lot of the childrenswear in Canada was made in Canada. That has dried up and a lot of it has gone private label," where retailers commission their own exclusive clothing lines through mass apparel manufacturers, generally based in Asia.

"The onset of Children's Place almost pushed Please Mum [a Vancouver-based chain with 80 stores] back into the closet. Children's Place has significant penetration but they are still growing -- they are a company that is cautious by nature. A second player will be very good for the market overall."

Osh Kosh is currently sold at specialty chains in Canada and at department stores such as The Bay. There are 138 Osh Kosh outlet stores across the U.S.

Carter, the top baby apparel seller in the U.S. with a 30% market share, has 154 Carter outlet stores and 32 specialty stores in traditional shopping malls. It is not widely available in Canada.

Analysts say the brands complement each other: 60% of Carter's offerings, which include sleepwear, accessories and play clothes for children, are for ages two and under; 65% of OshKosh's sales come from apparel for children over 2, predominantly within the 4 to 7 age range.

"Carter's has found a way to make the traditionally challenging and competitive children's apparel industry highly profitable," said a February research report from Credit Suisse First Boston, which predicts the company will double its annual sales by 2010 to US$2.2-billion.

"Comparable Carter's product often sells at only a slight premium to private brands but there is a large difference in both product quality and consumer trust in the brand."

Carter's, which acquired rival OshKosh B'Gosh Inc. a year ago for US$312-million, reported last week that second-quarter profit rose 64% to US$9-million. Sales increased 44% to US$574-million. Excluding OshKosh sales, sales rose 8.3%.

Canadian apparel sales for kids 14 and under rose 4% to $1.38-billion in 2005, according to Trendex North America. The category has grown steadily for the last five years.

Looks like Canada's first Ron Jon Surf Shop will open at Square One later this year...not sure where in the mall it will be, but it's on their Website as 'coming soon'.

From: [url=http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/...ageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Homewww.thestar.com/NASApp/cs..._Home[/url[/url]]
Aug. 19, 2006. 01:00 AM
DAPHNE GORDON

Queen East is the new Queen West.
The coolest new place to shop in Toronto these days is Leslieville, a neighbourhood that spans a stretch of Queen St. between Empire Ave. and Leslie St.
Perhaps responding to a new crop of condo developments and many young families buying houses in the area, a wave of new restaurants and shops have opened on Queen East in recent months. There's a real feeling of discovery for adventurous shoppers who like to explore new territory.
Aside from the anticipated opening of a new Starbucks at the corner of Queen and Logan Sts., most of the places in Leslieville are independently owned and operated. It's kind of an anti-mall shopping experience.
Leslieville dates to about 1850, when it was a working-class village named after businessman George Leslie. It's seen some hard economic times over the years, but now it's attracting creative shop owners who prefer not to pay the high rents of Queen St. W.
The vibe is decidedly indie and eco-conscious. Themes include vintage furniture, specifically mid-century modern, organic foods and retailers that offer do-it-yourself classes.
For example, the Leslieville Cheese Market has tasty night classes in cheese appreciation. At Sushi Marché, chef John Lee will teach you everything you ever wanted to know about Japanese food, then send you home with enough sushi to feed an army — or at least your hungry family. And at Nathalie-Roze & Co., you can learn how to make your own soaps, accessories, books and more.
But the area is definitely in transition. For every newly-renovated storefront, there's a neglected address that's seen better days.
And the neighbourhood is not without a criminal element, though shopkeepers and local residents are working together to create homegrown solutions that respect the community's history and variety.
To enjoy shopping in the neighbourhood, you really have to embrace the grit.

Best Buy sets sights on downtown consumers
Electronics giant to open first urban store at Dundas and Bay

Back to school sales exceed expectations for Canadian retailers
Sep. 6, 2006. 01:00 AM
DANA FLAVELLE
BUSINESS REPORTER

Canada's largest consumer electronics retailer will open its first "urban" store in downtown Toronto next week amid a strong back-to-school season for many Canadian retailers.

The Best Buy store at Dundas and Bay Streets, next to the Eaton Centre, will differ from its suburban counterparts as it attempts to appeal more to the downtown and commuter crowd, a senior executive said yesterday.

The store opening, Best Buy's 45th since coming to Canada four years ago, takes place amid growing fears of an economic slowdown south of the border. But the U.S.-owned retailer said it sees few signs of caution in Canada.

"We've seen double-digit (same-store sales) growth in every month but one so far this year, said Bryan DiPasquale, director of store operations for Best Buy Canada. "Clearly we're taking market share away from somebody."

Best Buy is not alone.

Other retailers are also reporting a buoyant back-to-school season, the year's second most important retail period and a strong indicator of future performance at Christmas, according to the Retail Council of Canada.

"I was just speaking with a few CEOs," said the retail council's chief executive Diane Brisebois. "They said the beginning of August was slow, the two middle weeks were slow, and then it just went gangbusters in the last week and continued through the (Labour Day) weekend. They couldn't believe it. All of those I spoke to said they'd met or exceeded their expectations.

"The Canadian economy appears to be more resilient than the American economy and Canadian consumers are definitely more optimistic than American consumers," Brisebois added in a telephone interview yesterday.

Heading into the back-to-school season, retail sales in Canada were already up a healthy 6 percentage points over last year, Brisebois noted.

And despite gloomy talk south of the border, sparked by a sharp 22 per cent decline in new home sales last month, Brisebois said, Canadian retailers see no reason to fear a slump heading into the holiday sales period.

While sales are strong, however, she cautioned profits remain under pressure.

"It's still extremely competitive so margins are under pressure," she said.

As well, sales in some categories are stronger than others, she said, with sporting goods, casual wear, outerwear and footwear all performing strongly.

The downtown Best Buy store doesn't open until Friday, Sept. 15, nearly half-way into the back-to-school season but just in time for the start of new home theatre sales, DiPasquale said.

To ensure the store opening gets lots of attention, Best Buy is bringing high-wattage celebrities Beyoncé and John Mayer to perform free mini-concerts in Dundas Square later next week.

This is the fourth time the multinational retailer has used its considerable marketing muscle to ensure a store opening gets star treatment in Canada.

"This is a huge store for us," Best Buy Canada spokeswoman Lori DeCou said. "This is our first urban store in Canada."

The retailer said it arranged for the star appearances through their record labels. "We absolutely leverage our relationship with the labels. Music and entertainment is a huge category for us. They've got an artist with a new CD out and we've got a new store."

Though the 36,000 square foot store will be similar to its counterparts in the suburbs, it will have more flat-panel TVs, more services for small business and more lunch-hour staff to accommodate the downtown and commuter crowd, the company said. It will not offer car-audio installation services.

Back