26     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 314     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 204     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Why is "Center" spelled wrong? This isn't America.

Center is primarily used for the middle of something physical while Centre is used primarily as a name and in names. Irregardless, in Canada they can be interchangeable.

I am surprised so many ask questions like this when the answer is available with a simple Google query.

Center is primarily used for the middle of something physical while Centre is used primarily as a name and in names. Irregardless, in Canada they can be interchangeable.

I am surprised so many ask questions like this when the answer is available with a simple Google query.

In official Canadian English, the only correct spelling is "centre".

Back in retail meltdown land, I see that Stagioni on Toronto Street is having a liquidation sale. When I dropped by there last summer, the salesman practically begged me to make an offer on anything I wanted.

Cluck Grunt &Lame is history...the Donut Shoppe curse lives on.

dsc00040d.jpg

The owner should get the hint and knock this building down (nail salon above is gross, and H&R is boring); perfect site for a 7 story condo like Ideal Lofts at College and Bathurst.

Last edited:
Cluck Grunt &Lame is history...the Donut Shoppe curse lives on.

dsc00040d.jpg

The owner should get the hint and knock this building down (nail salon above is gross, and H&R is boring); perfect site for a 7 story condo like Ideal Lofts at College and Bathurst.

I wanted to be taken here for my birthday. Oh well.

Funny that nothing seems to last there, in theory it's a good space in a good area. I used to go in there all the time when it was still Shakespeare's Cafe

In official Canadian English, the only correct spelling is "centre".

"official" Canadian English? "correct" spelling of centre? Canada is not France, and English is not French. No matter where you live, both centre and center are correct, as long as you're consistent in which you choose.

In Canada, "centre" is PREFERRED. There is no such thing as "correct" in this case.

Still, the preference is pretty emphatic. But you're right, in that we're not anally insisting upon only the correct spelling; otherwise, in a "Stop Arret" way, we'd be habitually referring to the "World Trade Centre" in NYC, etc...

In Canadian English, center is incorrect usage. Simple as that. Pick up a Canadian English Dictionary if you don't believe me.
Center is not incorrect, it is a word, just not a Canadian English word.

Cole-Haan is now open again. Attractive looking store but the building is a mess, not sure what they're trying to accomplish here. To be honest, this corner is perfect for a cafe with a large patio. It used to be that way, I believe there was a Swiss restaurant here and that along with the cafes in the Windsor Arms made this a rockin' street. Now, it's pretty quiet.

cole1.jpg

Back