Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/yonge-tax-meeting-1.4252524

Renewed hope of avoiding 'death by property taxes' for Yonge Street businesses hit by 100% hike

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation will be re-assessing the value of dozens of Yonge Street commercial properties, which could potentially bring business owners some relief after a 100 per cent tax hike, the neighbourhood's councillor announced on Friday.

About 80 small commercial retail properties in the area's heritage conservation district will be re-assessed by MPAC, the not-for-profit corporation that assesses and classifies all properties in Ontario, Coun. Kristyn Wong-Tam said.

samsonyuen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ikea’s opening up in London, ON

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...ondon-ont-store-in-fall-2019/article36559977/

This will be the 15th store in Canada (after new stores open in Halifax and Quebec). With their state goal of up to 24 stores in Canada, it seems like their pick-up points could point to potential sites. In Ontario, they have pick-up points in Whitby and K/W (and London) among others. Makes sense to me to expand in these locations soon, too...

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
I know they have a storied relationship with Mississauga, but a return to Peel Region would make sense too. Perhaps in Brampton along the 407 somewhere.
Somewhere along Highway 401 between Heartland and Milton probably makes the most sense. But I would love a downtown pick-up location that could mean a short taxi ride or a quick ZipCar trip, rather than going to the suburbs and needing a car or van rental for the better part of a day or having to book a delivery.

PinkLucy

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
They did a pop-up in downtown at least once, and they run a shuttle from CityPlace. I think that's about as urban as they get.

Skeezix

Member Bio
Reaction score
Somewhere along Highway 401 between Heartland and Milton probably makes the most sense. But I would love a downtown pick-up location that could mean a short taxi ride or a quick ZipCar trip, rather than going to the suburbs and needing a car or van rental for the better part of a day or having to book a delivery.
The west GTA is well served by the triangle of IKEAs in Vaughan, Etobicoke and Burlington, but if they added any more to that end of town, then I agree with @ShonTron, as that location would kind of fill in the "gap", to the extent one exists. If, as a lot of people are suggesting online, that IKEA is using these small order and pick-up outlets to test markets (London, Quebec City), it’s possibly the east end of the GTA that will see a full store.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Yea I think the next spot for one is in Durham. A Pickering location could work well.

The Vaughan Store is their largest store in the GTA I believe and serves North GTA fairly well.

Skeezix

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think we'll see a store in Barrie - it would be by far the smallest city/CMA population-wise to get a full-size store. Cottage traffic can already easily stop at Vaughan. Newmarket would likely just draw existing customers from the Vaughan and Leslie stores. But who knows. All just guesses.

IKEA has already announced full-line stores in London and Quebec City. Based on CMA size, not to mention where IKEA has chosen to put Order and Pick-up Outlets, I think the next stores (IMHO) will likely be (in no particular order) Durham Region, Kitchener-Waterloo and Victoria, possibly Niagara and Windsor, maybe Saskatoon. I also suspect some cities with existing stores (Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, etc.) may find themselves with new locations.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

samsonyuen

Member Bio
Reaction score

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
the bayview village one is because they are opening a store at Fairview mall, which is too close to Bayview Village. It makes a lot of sense why they closed, it's really more of a move.

soundmuseum

Member Bio
Reaction score
MUJI's new temporary store opens tomorrow morning at 10am (January 19, 2018) at the opposite end of the Atrium (595 Bay Street at Dundas), in the former Public Guardian and Trustee office.
The original MUJI store at 20 Dundas West will be renovated to expand into the former Long Tall Sally shop next door, effectively almost doubling their space to 8000+ square feet.