1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 953     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 360     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
That's good news I guess, but I always wished that somehow that parking lot would become some kind of public square.

Would be an amazing location for one I absoluetly agree ... actually, if you just think of random places in toronto that would benefit from a public square.
This would be #1 on my list ... maybe followed by Yonge and Bloor (the west side would be great too).

Couldn't agree more - I'm disappointed in this announcement. Would have been a great spot for a public market like Paddington in Sydney or Camden in London - give this part of Queen back some indie edge. We definitely need more public squares.

I think it's ultimately too close to Kensington Market and too "shopping mall'ish" in terms of retail on that part of Queen for a Camden-esque market. It was my hope at one time too, but I think that part of Queen has just changed too much. MEC will be fine I'm sure.

Looks like Loblaws has abandoned their Nutshell concept on King West. They posted on their Facebook page this message yesterday:

tese.jpg

Attachments

• tese.jpg
    tese.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 399
Looks like Loblaws has abandoned their Nutshell concept on King West. They posted on their Facebook page this message yesterday:

So the backround to that is that because Loblaws is currently going through competition bureau analysis re. the Shoppers Drug Mart deal and will have to divest of some stores - opening up an additional banner while convincing the competition bureau that they already don't have enough market share didn't make sense. Loblaws still likes the brand and the concept now is not the time...

Last edited:
So the backround to that is that because Loblaws is currently going through competition bureau analysis re. the Shoppers Drug Mart deal and will have to divest of some stores - opening up an additional banner while convincing the competition bureau that they already don't have enough market share didn't make sense. Loblaws still likes the brand and the concept now is not the time...
Do you know what will become of this space? Will it open as a Shoppers or a Loblaws? I work above this unit and as of last week there was still construction activity downstairs, so it seems like a lot of wasted effort if they gave up on opening up here.

Do you know what will become of this space? Will it open as a Shoppers or a Loblaws? I work above this unit and as of last week there was still construction activity downstairs, so it seems like a lot of wasted effort if they gave up on opening up here.

I don't know. They may be deconstructing what they built and giving the space back. Loblaws is under severe pressure by the competition bureau.

Lifetime's plans for 20 Edward (former World's Biggest Bookstore)...they paid $51.5M for the site.
They are planning a restaurant row to compete with Yonge + Dundas.
http://20edwardretail.com/

Lifetime's plans for 20 Edward (former World's Biggest Bookstore)...they paid $51.5M for the site.

Interesting....that's a lot of money to pay for a row of restaurants.....

also reported just now by RealEstateBisNow...

The World’s Biggest Bookstore on Edward St, a tourist attraction for many years, will soon be a thing of the past (from now on you can call it The World's Biggest Former Bookstore), with an industry source confirming to Bisnow the formal sale of the property for $51M. It had been reported previously in the media that the buyer is Lifetime Developments. There has been no confirmation as yet on what will be developed on the land—prime location just off of Yonge, north of Dundas, a short walk from the Eaton Centre. The bookstore will close to the public this month.

These better be some large over the top flagship restaurants who are willing to pay top dollar. Lifetime invested a lot of money just to host some restaurants.

At least we won't have to hear the nay-sayers complain about condominiums. I welcome this restaurant row, if any part of the city is going generic/commercial crazy, Yonge/Dundas area should be it.

I beleive there's a residential component as well......current zoning allows for it.

I beleive there's a residential component as well......current zoning allows for it.

May just be temporary (i.e. 5 years). South of Temperance, which opened across Arnell Square in the Bay Adelaide Centre was opened with a demo clause in their lease. They knew full well that they could be kicked out at any time; however, in the three years they were operational - they were one of the highest grossing resto's in Canada by square footage.

These better be some large over the top flagship restaurants who are willing to pay top dollar. Lifetime invested a lot of money just to host some restaurants.

At least we won't have to hear the nay-sayers complain about condominiums. I welcome this restaurant row, if any part of the city is going generic/commercial crazy, Yonge/Dundas area should be it.

How about the first Cheesecake Factory in Canada...any other suggestions?

Back