Toronto New Park at 229 Richmond West | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Gow Hastings

Top choice for the New Park at 229 Richmond Street West

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ever the optimist '42'!
Optimism that's sorely tested this time. That evening rendering of this proposal looks like it's just been valdalized, while this one of the washroom structure, looks like even the city's graffiti artists have opted not to be associated with it:

54832-166377.jpg

What was it that appealed to the jury so much about this proposal that was apparently sold on its darkness?

I do like the alleyways running east and south. And the curator’s position. Has this been done at other Toronto parks/spaces?

Optimism that's sorely tested this time. That evening rendering of this proposal looks like it's just been valdalized, while this one of the washroom structure, looks like even the city's graffiti artists have opted not to be associated with it:

54832-166377.jpg

What was it that appealed to the jury so much about this proposal that was apparently sold on its darkness?

Damn fine question!

I, for one, am glad that the City took my advice and chose Wawatesi. A victory for sensibility.

Just kidding, I feel nothing. Let's just move on to the next new park and hope for something that doesn't try to be something it's not....

Remember renderings are just merely a pitch or promise...the actual park being built may be cutting corners!

With another look, West 8 design is fine. It’s nice. It has its charm. But, I’d like to know from the city, what was wrong with oneSKY (PMA & SLA) design? It was obviously the popular standout design. Cost?

With another look, West 8 design is fine. It’s nice. It has its charm. But, I’d like to know from the city, what was wrong with oneSKY (PMA & SLA) design? It was obviously the popular standout design. Cost?
I reckon you answered your own question. I would add ease of maintenance to that. To me the West 8 design is kind of a dumbed down iteration of the proposal that everyone liked. At least there's not a whole lot to VE out when it's actually being built. They can even keep some of the picnic tables from the current patio to save a few bucks.

I, for one, am glad that the City took my advice and chose Wawatesi. A victory for sensibility.

Just kidding, I feel nothing. Let's just move on to the next new park and hope for something that doesn't try to be something it's not....
Exactly!! It’s fine. Aesthetically pleasing. Just move on to the next one. Keep finding new spaces & lots for more … Parks. Pedestrian streets. Public spaces. Promenades. Patios.

The cost delta better have been significant because OneSky was orders of magnitude better than Wawatesi... Bit of a shame really

The cost delta better have been significant because OneSky was orders of magnitude better than Wawatesi... Bit of a shame really
If this was a bigger downtown city park, I’d be more p*ssed about this choice. But isn’t this what they’re doing? Locating & finding parking lots & dead spaces and turning them into parks & greener public spaces. That city staff plan/idea (under Tory) should continue & hopefully thrive under Mayor Chow & new downtown councillors.

It's interesting as opensky with more greenery even looks like it would have been a cheaper option.

It's strange and disappointing that the existing space shows how successful large off-street patios can be as public spaces, yet the project destroys one without any replacement patio or restaurant space. I get that patio space would be a private use in a public space, but it's normal to have such uses in public spaces around the world.

It's quite enjoyable to have a beer in a square when travelling around Europe. Here, we barely have any such public spaces with restaurants within the spaces themselves. And a lot of the restaurants that get the contracts to operate in parks here often have a combination of mediocre or bad food, dated decor, and bad prices.

Last edited:

Back