Toronto Neptune + Neptune 2 Condominiums | 120.09m | 38s | Lanterra | P + S / IBI

Waterparkcity is a 15 minute walking distance to Queen St W and 10 minute walking to Liberty Village and King West shops. Its not as isolated as you think.

Yeah, walk that stretch in the winter.

It's not just these new developments, the entire vicinity has an absence of retail and services. One large supermarket won't make much of a difference, either (if it ever comes).

I agree with Gristle and so do many of the residents who have lived south of Lake Shore for years. Residents who live in the buildings around Little Norway Park have been advocating for years for a grocery store and some other services (like a library) to be located closer to them.

I agree with Gristle and so do many of the residents who have lived south of Lake Shore for years. Residents who live in the buildings around Little Norway Park have been advocating for years for a grocery store and some other services (like a library) to be located closer to them.

Well they're getting a library no? The one in cityplace at Bathurst is close?
I agree in general though - the area never developed this way, I do think it could support more retail though. Unfortunetly not I'm just not sure where it would go.

Yes, a library is (finally) going to be built close by. It only took 20 + years. Retail has always been nearby, unfortunately the spots at the base of the condos along Queen's Quay never manage to stay in business for long. That brings into question the quality of the retail environment, a topic that has been discussed through and through on UT as it applies to mixed use buildings with dinky little retail units on the ground floor.

Waterparkcity is a 15 minute walking distance to Queen St W and 10 minute walking to Liberty Village and King West shops. Its not as isolated as you think.

I walk by there all the time, it feels pretty isolated. I just figured with the huge increase in population, would come a retail street but I was wrong. It would have been so much nicer if just one street had been reserved for retail on the street level. The city should have required it. Now it's just become another bedroom community, though with higher density. All downtown communities should be mixed zoning, not just residential.

Last edited:
Agreed. 10 or 15 mins is not huge at all....and you get some exercise out of it :)

The appeal of these buildings is being close to the water, Ontario Place, Molson Amphitheater and CNE (all within 2-5 mins walking distance).

I disagree 100%. Ontario Place, the Amphitheatre and the CNE do nothing to add to the liveability of this neighbourhood – in fact they act as barriers that mark the boundaries of the neighbourhood. They are venues that you might attend a few times a year, and draw attendance from all over the city, but are of little use to the people who live nearby on an everyday basis.

As well, 15 minutes (30 both ways) is a long time to walk for basic shopping or to go grab a coffee or beer after work. After all, people who live in the suburbs are often only a 15 minute walk from the nearest drugstore or supermarket.

Finally, this neighbourhood has no centre. There’s no place for people to simply go, mingle, and be a community. Typically downtown Toronto neighbourhoods are based around long, linear streets (often running east-west) that serve as commercial centres with residential spaces to the north and south (e.g. QSW, Little Italy, Annex, etc). Given the awkward setup of this neighbourhood (CNE cutting it off to the west, the Gardner to the north and east, and the airport to the south), I don't think the typical "main street" central district is workable. Lakeshore and Queens Quay are too short, and Lakeshore is way too wide.

I think a reasonable alternative would be to concentrate retail/commercial activity right at the geographical centre of the neighbourhood and at a density commensurate to that of the surrounding condominiums. That’s why a multi-floor, urban shopping centre would be ideal. Of course, how often does the ideal actually play out in urban development? The corner of Queens Quay and Bathurst will probably just get another condo, and the entire neighbourhood will have to be satisfied with the retail equivalent of those spindly trees that struggle to grow on Toronto’s sidewalks.

I threw this image together. Blue is the major residential zones in the area, and the red represents the best place for a commercial centre.
4822321998_9c9dd7aa7d_b.jpg

by me

sany2158.jpg

Liberty Village, King West all there. This place will be ok. Don't worry about the shops and cafes.. they have the life here.

Liberty Village is less than 5 mins away.. walking from here.

Last edited:
Phase 1 occupancy starts mid Sept

Phase 2 occupancy starts Feb 2011 tentatively, no one has had colour selection for phase 2 fyi

Liberty Village, King West all there. This place will be ok. Don't worry about the shops and cafes.. they have the life here.

Liberty Village is less than 5 mins away.. walking from here.

So they're close to someone else's neighbourhood (just under the Gardiner and over the railway tracks). They still lack THEIR OWN neighbourhood.

That's true. I mean, the Junction is a short 12 minute walk from Bloor West Village, yet I get the feeling they are totally different 'hoods with different folks. Same goes for Roncevalles, or Bloor by the Park. Surely LS could at least become as vibrant as Bloor by the Park if cafe etc uses were allowed at ground level?

I was here today with clients, they are very happy, cant wait til the park is in, nice added touch, I must say the surrounding area streetscape looks nice with walking paths, trees etc full of greenery.

Back