Toronto Natasha Residences | 156.9m | 47s | Lanterra | BDP Quadrangle

^ Agreed, and it was very evident in that thread coversation about how Chicago is a better city in which to live based on its group of supertalls.

Just found a new render, anyone seen this one yet?

263adelaidestwteeplenei.jpg

Yeah not much known on this one, except they are preparing plans for early 2012.
According to DCN......http://dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?...66df4611a1b2&projectid=9147146&region=ontario

CONDOMINIUM APARTMENT BUILDING, OFFICES, RETAIL
Proj: 9147146-1
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
PREPARING PLANS
Adelaide Street Lofts, 263 Adelaide St, M5H 1Y2
$60,000,000 est
Note:
Project is very preliminary. Owner has not yet submitted applications for approval. Scope of work is subject to change. Further update spring 2012.
Architect WILL NOT accept unsolicited phone calls.
Project:
proposed construction of a 45-storey mixed use building which will contain 60,000 sq ft of office and commercial space as well as 340 residential units.
Scope:
45 storeys; 340 units
Development:..New
Category:...Apartment bldgs; Commercial offices; Retail, wholesale services

Wow, Just what the area needs! Another 45s building. I wish the city would change the Official Plan for the area, allowing for some taller buildings at key intersections and restricts heights to 10s elsewhere in area. Mix it up. As it is now, most developers are building to the maximum allowed height, which seems to be between 36s - 45s.

I also wish they would designated a few more of the older warehouses, historical. They're not all beautiful, but they do provide a street level break from all of that newness and glass.

Wow, Just what the area needs! Another 45s building. I wish the city would change the Official Plan for the area, allowing for some taller buildings at key intersections and restricts heights to 10s elsewhere in area. Mix it up. As it is now, most developers are building to the maximum allowed height, which seems to be between 36s - 45s.

I also wish they would designated a few more of the older warehouses, historical. They're not all beautiful, but they do provide a street level break from all of that newness and glass.

+1

Yes, I had posted on another thread some time ago that the result of the City policy in this area will be a sea of towers, most of which are almost the same height (just below the Festival Tower's height). So we will end up with an almost flat skyline, rather like that of Vancouver, only taller. It would have been much more visually interesting if the taller buildings would have been of a variety of heights instead.

It's not necessarily a bad thing at all when you think of these towers as really tall infill. What matters is the ground level / street presence of each. A number of projects look promising: Festival turned out great with Canteen, Pinnacle on John's interesting public spaces by HP, Tableau's public space, Picasso looks promising, this project preserves the warehouse building, Studio on Richmond looks decent as well. Oh and don't forget Theatre Park's public space. In fact I cant think of one project that looks horribly offensive in terms of its street presence in this area (though I'm sure there is at least one).

My point is: height doesn't matter if the streetscape is handled delicately and to a human scale.

Thought I realise we all want a more dynamic skyline so I'll pitch this idea: These towers will feel like infill because the height standard for new buildings is continuously rising, and land value for the neighbourhood will skyrocket. Sooner or later we will see a much taller proposal here, and that dynamic skyline will eventually come to be seen :)

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/searchDevelopmentProjectsSetup.do?action=init

263 ADELAIDE ST W

Ward 20 - Tor & E.York OPA / Rezoning 12 152660 STE 20 OZ Apr 12, 2012 ---
Standard rezoning application to permit the rezoinig for 42 storey building complete with 5 storey podium - 326 residential units - podium used for commercial / office / non residential units - 116 parking spaces in 5 levels below grade parking.

Whats this about:confused:

263 ADELAIDE ST W
Rental Housing Demolition & Conversion 12 152672 STE 20 RH Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Apr 12, 2012 --- --- --- ---
RENTAL HOUSING DEMOLITION APPLICATION

263 Adelaide is now listed in Neilas' project portfolio. This must be getting closer.

aren't they the same people who are taking years and years to construct a mid-rise (< 8s) on college St?

how in the hell are they going to build something 40+s?

Back