Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

If this continues to occur, Lanterra should be blackballed by the city for future developments. They clearly have issues with the quality of their workmanship.

If this continues to occur, Lanterra should be blackballed by the city for future developments. They clearly have issues with the quality of their workmanship.

I dont know about blackballed by the city
How about getting rid of the contract they have with the glass mfg./glass installers...there developments dont seem that bad.

I dont know about blackballed by the city
How about getting rid of the contract they have with the glass mfg./glass installers...there developments dont seem that bad.
It is not the glass - it is the design of the railing assembly, and the overlap at the bottom of the slab.
I will bet that it is wind deflection of the bottom unprotected glass edge causing contact with the vertical railing support fasteners. The entire assembly should be wind tested in a wind tunnel just as the window wall is - a code requirement. Wonder what Tarion has to say on this. If there is any sort of sanction imposed upon the developer it will come from Tarion. These balcony assemblies go from an architectural drawing to a shop drawing with no testing - it is wind effect - 100% -
Willing to wager !

The woman was treated at the scene by paramedics for a cut to the hand, EMS officials said.

Her injuries aren't believed to be life-threatening

They say she received a cut to the hand and was treated at the scene and then say that her injuries aren't believed to be life-threatening.

Duugh...the news can sure make some silly statements sometimes...

Last edited:
I wish condos just didn't have balconies! They look terrible anyways and then we wouldn't have this falling glass problem!

I wish condos just didn't have balconies! They look terrible anyways and then we wouldn't have this falling glass problem!

Many people who don't live in a house really like a bit of outdoor space, I practically live on my 20' X 6' slab from April 'til October.
I lived in the Plaza II apartments in the 80's & 90's, great building with dynamite two bedroom apartments but they have no balconies. When I bought my first place I felt like I'd won the lottery having a balcony after so many years of not having one.

i agree with you somewhat. What kills me is box buildings with wrap around balconies that go all the way up the building (like Casa, except Casa is an exception because it looks really really good), to me, it just looks cheap/too rental apartment-esque. Not to mention, balconies tend not to look as "slick" as a flat, sharp glass facade.
HOWEVER, When balconies are used as part of the design (aka, minimal strips, curves like absolute, or wavy patterns like One Bloor), then i'm all for it.

I feel really badly for the residents. I'd feel sick if this were happening to my building. Hope the figure it out quickly and hope no one gets hurt.

:DI hope these recent events will shift the way developer’s construct condos in Toronto. No more ocean coloured glass boxes, with tacky balconies.

:DI hope these recent events will shift the way developer’s construct condos in Toronto. No more ocean coloured glass boxes, with tacky balconies.

Balconies are a huge selling feature, especially the ones with views.

Back