News   Apr 18, 2024
 282     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

I'm predicting Tory wins in a land-slide of 60-70% popular vote but with the lowest turn-out even for Toronto election - expect most of the 25 councillors as incumbents to come back with maybe 1 surprise (hoping Mammo gets turfed).

There's 11 guaranteed defeated incumbent councillors, because of them running against each other. And there's a pretty good chance that Carmichael Greb gets turfed, too, because she's against an incumbent *name*, so to speak (Mike "Not Josh" Colle)

I’ve decided to vote for Keesmaat. I agree with her views on the Gardiner and housing. I actually like John Tory but I refuse to vote for any PC candidate now that they’ve given us doofus Dord in Queens Park. Doofus should never have been given the nomination.

I’ve decided to vote for Keesmaat. I agree with her views on the Gardiner and housing. I actually like John Tory but I refuse to vote for any PC candidate now that they’ve given us doofus Dord in Queens Park. Doofus should never have been given the nomination.

I actually saw John John get accosted by a crazy person this morning at Starbucks. She went up to him, claimed he was her idol, claimed she knew where he lived and then waited for him to leave after running up to him asking for a selfie. The good people at Starbucks let him and his driver out the back door.

I'm all for them turning the golf course at the Vic Park subway into parkland. Crime happens everywhere, if there is a park with a lot of trees and low lighting, you're going to see it but it will be put to better use during the day. We have lost so many trees with all the storms over the past few years so adding more and making it a place for everyone will be a great use.

As far as Cataraqui goes, I grew up not far from there, maybe 1 km away, and while there was some crime, I also had a lot of good friends who lived there. The kids grew up to be terrific adults.

As far as Cataraqui goes, I grew up not far from there, maybe 1 km away, and while there was some crime, I also had a lot of good friends who lived there. The kids grew up to be terrific adults.

And frankly, by hyping up the stigmatizing Fort Apache no-go-zone depiction of Cataraqui, one is just compounding it.

My suggestion: hey, folks, Toronto is not Gary or East St Louis. Don't pathologize Cataraqui as a scary scary no-go zone. And if you feel fatally unsafe there, maybe the problem is your own. Dress accordingly; move accordingly; act accordingly--there, as anyplace else. If you feel uncomfortable there after dark, then...don't go there after dark. Watch how you engage with people; don't take unnecessary risks. But especially these days, that's a *universal* rule of thumb, and not exclusive to Cataraqui-type places.

Just like in our #MeToo era, it's clear that women have to take precautions in more than just "usual suspect" kinds of places, and have to act accordingly. But a universal "better safe than sorry" way of going about the city isn't necessarily a *bad* thing...

That's because robots are more likely to vote for her...

She gets a decent amount of retweets and views, but I am guessing that most of them aren't from Toronto voters, or even real accounts. Considering that Don Andrews managed to get 1% of the vote in 2014, her getting that much is possible.

She gets a decent amount of retweets and views, but I am guessing that most of them aren't from Toronto voters, or even real accounts. Considering that Don Andrews managed to get 1% of the vote in 2014, her getting that much is possible.
She's the hottest magnet for ferrous nut-bars, so the collection of whack-jobs is disproportionate to the general population. Being reactionaries 'with a cause' it's no surprise the toxicity is spread by tweets back to the nests for breeding.

Keesmaat's promise to redevelop golf courses irks Golf Canada CEO
https://www.cp24.com/news/keesmaat-...p-golf-courses-irks-golf-canada-ceo-1.4131673

A report to Toronto city council in January found that the five city-managed golf courses typically bring in $4.5 million to $5 million per year - not enough to recoup the costs of running them.

I always assumed they broke even. Dentonia Park is particularly annoying because it puts a barrier between the Massey Creek trail and Gus Harris trail.

So I guess I support a conversion of one of those courses.

So are all recreation programs going to get assessed on whether they make money? There was a big stink a few years back when the city was trying to raise money by increasing recreation user fees to cut costs. I don't play golf , but I know a lot of people that started out playing at municipal courses. If we get rid of them then Golf becomes more exclusive. And by the way. the parks department has been working on a 20 year facility master plan for the past year and has billions of dollars of unfunded projects in the pipeline. This new golf course conversion scheme will already add to a massive parks plan that has been trying to address access and deficiencies in the parks and recreation system. This is just a publicity stunt.

So are all recreation programs going to get assessed on whether they make money? There was a big stink a few years back when the city was trying to raise money by increasing recreation user fees to cut costs. I don't play golf , but I know a lot of people that started out playing at municipal courses. If we get rid of them then Golf becomes more exclusive. And by the way. the parks department has been working on a 20 year facility master plan for the past year and has billions of dollars of unfunded projects in the pipeline. This new golf course conversion scheme will already add to a massive parks plan that has been trying to address access and deficiencies in the parks and recreation system. This is just a publicity stunt.

Let's work backwards, shall we.

A) not merely a publicity stunt. The future of all public golf courses, not just 3 of them, is under review, as mandated by council with a report due back late next year. The sitting Mayor has acknowledged one more courses may be re-purposed, he simply isn't campaigning on it.

B) One of the reasons for said review is that the courses are due for significant financial investments, roughly 9.5M in the current 10-year capital plan. That number is more than sufficient to repurpose 3 courses as alternate
forms of greenspace.

C) All programs are vetted on a regular basis, including their net cost after any revenues, as well as total demand, wait lists, and comparisons of those metrics to alternatives. How many people are lined up to play golf as compared with the waiting list for soccer, cricket, summer camps, before and after school etc.

None of the above is a definitive argument against providing public courses. However, it is a land-intensive, high-cost per person recreation experience, serving a relatively small user pool as compared with many other activities.

I might be open to supporting the courses, if there land use was better shared with other users, for instance by building bike trail linkages at Dentonia and Don Valley; or by considering opening the courses as walking and picnic areas on Sundays.

I'd also like to see an honest discussion of the cost, which while very much cheaper than private courses remains out of reach for many in Toronto. At $29 per person, plus club rental, not too many folks of modest means are using this course. (That's Dentonia, other courses are more expensive)

Though if you were to set fees more in line w/say swimming, free for youth, $3 per round for adults, demand would likely surge well beyond capacity, and where would one add 5 or 6 more courses to meet demand?

You've also discounted the benefits of repurposing, including the ecological benefits and those of finding space for much needed soccer and cricket pitches without having to buy new land.

So if there is already a review going on then she is essentially promising something that is already on the books and being talked about.
Either way, I don't know all the financials and usage of courses. It could be that with a bit more support it could me more accessible and attract more users.
9.5 million over 10 years is really not that much when you consider how much the parks department is paying for capital projects.
I don't think this was really on the minds of potential voters and she may actually lose more votes from the individuals that actually use the courses.

Back