News   Apr 23, 2024
 227     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 978     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 300     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Doug appears to be out of the race now, as he is seeking the nomination for Etobicoke North. That makes things very interesting.
If he loses the leadership race he will probably ditch on the commitment. Wynne won't drop the writ until after new leader is chosen so there will be time to replace him in E-N.

1) He won't work for whoever wins 2) they won't want him around 3) he'll still think he can win the mayoral race

Doug appears to be out of the race now, as he is seeking the nomination for Etobicoke North. That makes things very interesting.

If he loses the leadership race he will probably ditch on the commitment. Wynne won't drop the writ until after new leader is chosen so there will be time to replace him in E-N.

1) He won't work for whoever wins 2) they won't want him around 3) he'll still think he can win the mayoral race

We're not ever going to get rid of Doug Ford, are we? He's gonna keep running in races until he wins something.

"Winning" isn't the point with Dofo. He just wants to keep his hideous mug in the spotlight as much as humanly possible. Losing any or all of these races actually feeds into his self-pitying fantasy narrative of the eve-ull elites keeping him down. By 'losing' a position that he probably doesn't even want to begin with, he still gets all of the accompanying attention and ego-gratification for a few media cycles, keep his fanbase nicely frothing over being denied what is rightfully his/"theirs,'" and avoids any of that pesky work involved with actual governing. Quite an accomplishment, when you think about it.

He didn't like being councillor, he wouldn't like being an MPP. He just likes to bitch.

I know that, but I am thinking of what will happen if he loses the leadership and is "stuck" being an MPP. And even if, heavens forbid, he wins he still will have to be an MPP.

I know that, but I am thinking of what will happen if he loses the leadership and is "stuck" being an MPP. And even if, heavens forbid, he wins he still will have to be an MPP.

If it actually comes to that, would Ford have the sheer nerve to just drop the MPP position in favor of running for Mayor? I think he would. Wasting everyone's time (to say nothing of the cost involved) in further gratification of his already dangerously out-of-control ego? I have every confidence he's up for it!

If it actually comes to that, would Ford have the sheer nerve to just drop the MPP position in favor of running for Mayor? I think he would. Wasting everyone's time (to say nothing of the cost involved) in further gratification of his already dangerously out-of-control ego? I have every confidence he's up for it!

Is there anything that could stop him from being a sitting MPP and running for mayor?

Is there anything that could stop him from being a sitting MPP and running for mayor?
Yes. City of Toronto act says MPPs have to resign by the municipal withdrawal deadline.

If he loses the leadership race he will almost certainly weasel out of the commitment:

"I ran to fight the elites, but they played dirty and won anyways. I can't in good conscience work for an elite I don't support, so as a courtesy I hereby withdraw my nomination for Etobicoke North to allow for a candidate who does. Also, I hereby re-activate my campaign for mayor, which is what I really wanted all along. Subways. Folks. No questions."

Last edited:
We're not ever going to get rid of Doug Ford, are we?

As one of my best friends likes to remind people: We're all dying.

I know this may take too long for comfort, but take solace in the fact that nobody is around forever.

He may disappear from public view once all the elites are gone which is not possible as long as he's around anyway, being an elite himself.
Maybe he'll give up if he gets humiliated through defeat on a few fronts. A great start would be the nomination for Etobicoke North. (Wow, that's optimistic...unrealistic? Am I high? No, just dreaming).

Siobhan Morris @siomo
now

It didn’t sound to me like an EMPHATIC
1f4af.1a97fa3ef4.png
NO, but @JustineLewkowic talked to Doug Ford and his jockeying for mayor of Toronto is over

NEWSTALK1010 @NEWSTALK1010
3m
Replying to @NEWSTALK1010

Ford also tells NEWSTALK 1010 that even if he is not successful in his provincial bid, he no longer plans to run for mayor of Toronto: "I've made my decision. I can't hop back and forth."

Thoughts?

Last edited:
"Can't hop back and forth," eh? Well, talk is cheap. I'll believe it when I actually see it. And I don't care what the official laws say. Rules have never constrained him before.

Back