News   Jul 22, 2024
 574     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 627     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

There are now 21 people running for mayor. Tory has no major challengers and the deadline is in five days.

This will be fun. I'm actually looking forward to seeing who the media pick as "the most legit" this time around without any entrenched power in the running (other than Tory, obviously).

By "looking forward to" I actually mean it's going to be a joke. Obviously.

I’ve received confirmation that Keesmaat will absolutely not run for Mayor in this election. Unless any other high profile candidate is waiting until the last possible moment to run, Tory is going to be running virtually unopposed. As much as I like Sarah Clemanhaga, she doesn’t have the campaign team, organization and funding needed to mount a serious campaign.

I’d be surprised if the media pay any attention to the mayoral race. They’re going to focus heavily on city council races like Vuong vs Dong vs Malik, Bailao vs Palacio, Mammo vs Tiffany Ford and Jaye Robinson vs Kyle Ashley. Maybe that’ll give incumbents less of their usual staying power with the media featuring their challengers far more prominently in this election.

Last edited:
It may be a big issue but not a big factor in my opinion. Issues of crime, public safety and uncertainty favour the incumbent don’t they? Progressive opposition have little leverage on Tory on this issue as he has been a strong advocate for gun control, marginalized communities etc. He may not be positioned progressive enough for some on these issues but he is left of Conservative and probably slightly left of the average Torontonian.

That’s the general trouble I think for most Progressive challengers who are considering going against Tory. They could pick a position on say poverty and housing but Tory is already positioned in word and deed slightly left of average. Without a three-way race with someone bleeding Tory on the Right it’s tough.

Last edited:
This so-called reprise of the "Summer of the Gun" makes it much harder for a potential progressive challenger, even if their policies may actually help the situation more long-term. The left has never been able to compellingly tell that story.

Jonathan Kay‏Verified account@jonkay
not a lot of ppl on the Danforth tonight. but the ones that were there appreciated seeing @JohnTory walking around freely and shaking hands. he took pictures with my kids and made them feel that things were safe. an important symbol that yesterday was yesterday and today is today

Do people think that Tory is handling this well?

Do people think that Tory is handling this well?

In a word, "Yes",

He has blended the need to reassure folks, yet seem upset, and motivated to action.

He has clearly sided w/Toronto writ-large on handguns and the need to reduce their numbers on Toronto streets.

He met w/other levels of government.

There is a finite amount any Mayor can actually do, beyond rhetoric. But he has handled the rhetoric well, and balanced that w/what direct action he can take, and being seen to lobby for more from those who can.

There are issues I will take w/our Mayor from time to time, but his handling of this issue is not one of them.

He seems like he'd be loud, dumb, and shady. Surprised he's not running somewhere in York Region or something.

Back