Toronto Monde | 149.95m | 44s | Great Gulf | Moshe Safdie

That's not because of WT - it's because of the developer launching a premium product that's not selling as quickly as they had anticipated.

I was at the sales site last summer and I believe they didn't indicate occupancy until 2017 or 2018.
I would say that a bigger problem for Monde is that Bayside is going ahead on south side of Queen's Quay. If I wanted to move to that area I would much prefer to actually see the Lake and not be right beside the Gardiner. I also think that both projects will do better (certainly the offices at Bayside will) when the Queens Quay East LRT line finally gets the go-ahead. Location, location, location and all that.

That's not because of WT...

It kind of is because of WT though. While they don't determine the exact marketing and sales prices for condo units, they had total control over what area was launched first. Most people seem to share the opinion that Bayside should have been launched prior to Parkside!

Tridel had zero problem with sales and they are launching phase 2 this year. As DSC says, it's location not because Monde is a premium product. Put Monde on the lake (shorter building of course) and it would have been under construction and almost completed by now.

The point is that WT does have to take responsibility here. To dismiss this is just plain silly.

Tridel has cache based simply on its name though, look at those 6 towers they managed to sell in Scarborough that are on what would normally be considered an undevelopable site.. They sell pretty much anything anywhere.

5 years this whole area will look different.
m-CIMG7947.jpg

m-CIMG7955.jpg

m-CIMG7958.jpg

m-CIMG7960.jpg

Attachments

• m-CIMG7947.jpg
    m-CIMG7947.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 2,374
  • m-CIMG7955.jpg
    m-CIMG7955.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 2,338
  • m-CIMG7958.jpg
    m-CIMG7958.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 2,323
  • m-CIMG7960.jpg
    m-CIMG7960.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 2,338
Let's hope within 5 years, this project starts construction. I much prefer Monde over Aqualina, so I would hate to see this project cancelled. I'll be relieved when construction finally starts.

Check out the renderings, this project is fantastic, with NO grey spandrel anywhere! I just hope the renderings are accurate.

Last edited:
Let's hope within 5 years, this project starts construction. I much prefer Monde over Aqualina, so I would hate to see this project cancelled. I'll be relieved when construction finally starts.

Check out the renderings, this project is fantastic, with NO grey spandrel anywhere! I just hope the renderings are accurate.

on the project page, it says this will be completed in 2016...

on the project page, it says this will be completed in 2016...

Doubt it, looks like construction is to start next spring...completion more like 2018.

Moshe Safdie sets the tone with Monde
The mixed-use project, which Safdie designed in collaboration with Toronto-based Quadrangle Architects, is located on a one-acre site between Lake Shore Blvd. E. and Queens Quay E., bordered by Lower Sherbourne and Bonnycastle Sts. The development will include more than 500 condos, ground-level retail and offices, and a mid-block connection to the adjacent new
Sherbourne Common park. Construction is slated to begin in early 2015.
More....http://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2014/05/29/moshe_safdie_sets_the_tone_with_monde.html

Why were sales slow? Waterfront condos tend to appreciate quite well. Most people are drawn to the unique location, and there's only a limited number of properties available on a waterfront.

What's being built on the right side of the third pic? The aforementioned Aqualina?

Will keep my fingers crossed but with M+G basically approved, if it proceeds, our CBD is secure in the sense its anchored by a very fine complex. Also, if Monde proceeds the rest of East Bayfront will be a success I feel. So two neighbourhoods receive good news.

What's being built on the right side of the third pic? The aforementioned Aqualina?

Yes.

I have no idea why buildup quoted your post. He certainly didn't respond to your question.

funny reading the accident logs:

On April 3, 2014 a worker was bitten by a dog while on the public sidewalk. The employee is fine
and it was confirmed that the dog was up to date with its vaccinations. The incident resulted in no
lost time.

On March 19, 2014 there was a workplace violence incident between two workers. The worker that
initiated the fight was removed from the site. The incident resulted in no lost time.

On April 2, 2014 a dump truck rolled over when unloading. There was no personal injury, loss of time or
damage to the construction site.

Back