Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

Dec 26
Lot More up on site. Had my first look at the Winston Churchill GO Station and it will not see service until Sept 2016 for GO.

They are working on Winston Churchill centre lanes for building the new underpass. The southbound lanes have the underpass as well a new westbound on ramp over the Transitway Road.

They will be a steep incline from the east side of Winston Churchill to the top of the on/off ramp underpass.
23369733634_1a86dc58a7_b.jpg

23889711852_6702e36f9d_b.jpg

23371150253_b9d9f1d76f_b.jpg

23630105939_b300a0c4c6_b.jpg

23371158443_f765f17d14_b.jpg

23889724142_97691791e1_b.jpg

23971897456_d24c2f5fd8_b.jpg

23702283860_5f04ab345a_b.jpg

Dec 29
The reason Etobicoke Creek Station will not see service on Jan 4th, is the interior finish, let alone the exterior.

Most the flashing is missing on the upper entrace and there is no handrail on the stairs. Crews were working on the inside today and it was small.

Traffic lights in place where the buses will enter/exit onto Eglinton Ave.
24055145745_e3ea392e7b_b.jpg

24055149375_ec19e531e8_b.jpg

24029046076_9c61df19b4_b.jpg

23972540261_b84eddc8b6_b.jpg

23426918154_9d0fda671b_b.jpg

No two ways around it............this is a great system and the best transit expansion any city in the GTA has built in the last 30 years.

^It's hard to argue with him. I actually cant think of another GTA transit project in the past 30 years (outside of GO expansion) that was at least partially worth the investment.

I also agree, however for it to reach its maximum potential it needs to be linked to the airport and eglington crosstown. Does anyone know we're it stands on linking it to the airport and crosstown?

I also agree, however for it to reach its maximum potential it needs to be linked to the airport and eglington crosstown. Does anyone know we're it stands on linking it to the airport and crosstown?

Well the Crosstown depends on what Toronto decides to do. Eglinton West is a bit of a hot button issue lately, but the debate is centred around SmartTrack vs LRT. The airport connection doesn't really need dedicated lanes, since it would largely be running express from Renforth Gateway to Pearson anyway, and that corridor isn't very congested. Personally, I think a revamp of the People Mover (possibly rebuilt as Mark III ICTS) from Renforth Gateway to Malton GO would be the best option, rather than trying to route a plethora of transit spurs into Pearson.

^It's hard to argue with him. I actually cant think of another GTA transit project in the past 30 years (outside of GO expansion) that was at least partially worth the investment.

I think the most significant project was Spadina ROW. Then there's Sheppard Subway.

Spadina streetcar and Sheppard subway are 6.2km and 5.5km lines with 44k and 50k boardings per weekday respectively. Mississauga Transitway won't come close. I doubt that, despite their much longer lengths, the future MiExpress 100, 107, 109 together will reach 44k or 50k (the 107 and 109 had close to 3k boardings combined in 2012).

No, I think the full potential of this transitway lies in 407 Transitway. Imagine a crosstown GO BRT spine for, between Mississauga and Markham and beyond, to complement the GO Trains to downtown (GO buses on the transitway will stop at 5 stations: Winston Churchill, Erin Mills, CCTT/Square One, Dixie, and Renforth).

But it is too bad the above-ground Eglinton Crosstown won't be full grade-separated like the Mississauga Transitway. No use of the Richview Corridor. With TTC, everything has to be on-street now.

But I think the transitway already is useful enough to connect to the airport. Also helps to connect Malton to the rest of Mississauga. Malton is not connected well to Mississauga, but at the same time the TTC doesn't serve Malton. So Malton is isolated from Mississauga, from Toronto, from Brampton, and that has resulted in many social and economic problems as you may know. Maybe this transitway will help fix this. It is a very important problem to fix.

The airport connection doesn't really need dedicated lanes, since it would largely be running express from Renforth Gateway to Pearson anyway, and that corridor isn't very congested.
Anyone who has taken Renforth from the 401 to Carlingview would have to disagree with this, because of the intersection at Carlingview this route is quite congested and for such a short distance could take about 10 min. Now if Toronto would realign the intersection so that Carlingview runs straight into Renforth then the traffic in this area would flow smoothly enough.

Also helps to connect Malton to the rest of Mississauga. Malton is not connected well to Mississauga, but at the same time the TTC doesn't serve Malton. So Malton is isolated from Mississauga, from Toronto, from Brampton, and that has resulted in many social and economic problems as you may know. Maybe this transitway will help fix this. It is a very important problem to fix.
Malton is connected to Brampton , Toronto and Mississauga by transit but like all bus transit the time it takes to use is much longer than just driving. Malton's first bus was the TTC's route 58 which had been in service from the mid-50's to recently, replaced by the 52. Transit Toronto has a page describing this route. As part of Mississauga, Malton has routes 7, 42, and 107 connecting to the rest of Mississauga. Brampton Transit's 5,14 and 30 provides connection to that city. As well, since Malton is on GO's Kitchener line we no have two way much of the day service. While everyone thinks of going to Union I could also take the train to Brampton. Malton is also connected to the Humber River bike path for those who prefer to cycle. (different thread, I know). So it's just a poor connection to Mississauga then.
Will the transitway "connect" Malton to Mississauga? I don't think it will change much only save some time for those on the 107. The disconnect that we feel in Mississauga is more than just a bus route. The distance between Malton and Mississauga has a lot to do with geography but also governance and until us Maltonians see a difference in that we'll still be from Malton and they will be from Mississauga. (different thread, I know)

Anyone who has taken Renforth from the 401 to Carlingview would have to disagree with this, because of the intersection at Carlingview this route is quite congested and for such a short distance could take about 10 min. Now if Toronto would realign the intersection so that Carlingview runs straight into Renforth then the traffic in this area would flow smoothly enough.

A short set of dedicated transit lanes or queue jump lanes would do the trick then. The point I'm trying to make is that a full Transitway build-out to Pearson would be a waste of money, and would provide more capacity than is actually needed.

A short set of dedicated transit lanes or queue jump lanes would do the trick then. The point I'm trying to make is that a full Transitway build-out to Pearson would be a waste of money, and would provide more capacity than is actually needed.

If you realign to the route to serve the airport directly via Silver Dart and Jetliner you don't need anything new at all and avoid Carlingview completely.

I think the most significant project was Spadina ROW. Then there's Sheppard Subway.
The Sheppard subway is the most significant by far, but not worth the investment which is why I didnt mention it. It sucks money out of the TTC's budget by operating at a loss. Not to say that the Transitway doesn't but in it's defense, it hasnt been fully optimized yet.

Based on the 2004 EA, Ridership was to be 25,000 from Renforth going west at peak time and 11,000 west of Sq One by 2031.

It was found out later that these numbers were system wide for this ROW.

If the number of 25,000 was correct, you would have double deck buses coming every 30-45 seconds apart. Bulk of the ridership will be GO Transit with MT seeing about 3-5,000 from Renforth and about 1,500-2,000 going west of Sq one at best.

Until the extension is built for Halton as well extending the line from Renforth to 407, this will be a stub line. Then you need to build the missing section from Mavis Rd to Erin Mills.

I don't expect to see the extension of the Eglinton Crosstown from Jane St to Renforth and then to Pearson until late 2020's or early 2030's compare to it should be underway now. It got push back 10 years due to lack of fund years ago and on the back burners these days.

Even when Renforth opens in 2017, not going to help MT that much and will have an impact on MT riders until 2020 when Kipling Terminal opens.

This Transitway will benefit GO the most, but not as much as plan.

Unless I am going to the airport, no use to me at all.

Back