Toronto Mirvish Village (Honest Ed's Redevelopment) | 85.04m | 26s | Westbank | Henriquez Partners

Lit.

20230816_202546_HDR.jpg

20230816_202857_HDR.jpg

Aug 11
Just up loaded 125 shot that were in my backlog to my site for this project.
53157737355_4d133c85f4_b.jpg

53156729667_f58cfc1f62_b.jpg
53157515444_66c2e79b00_b.jpg
53157804398_3bb3e31f4a_b.jpg
53156730282_8da9981467_b.jpg

53157518254_7d564017c7_b.jpg

53157318186_07de3c21b7_b.jpg

53157740155_cdd5935d81_b.jpg

First off - I'm generally positive toward this development, and I'm looking forward to its completion.

But these Pomo Potemkin Villages/Disney Main Street Type Buildings - where it's all one big building but it's made to look like an organic outcropping of smaller buildings in different "styles" - are a little odd. Mainly because the individual building vernacular in the new parts is so different than what already exists in Toronto. For instance, the leftover red-brick Victorian storefronts on Bathurst next to the 50 Shades of Grey parts of the new development don't look very well integrated. I don't think they should have done some historical re-imagining with all of the Victorian whirligigs and such, but maybe if they took inspiration from Toronto's strong modernist buildings and kept some of the brick in the new buildings - it might look like more "real."

First off - I'm generally positive toward this development, and I'm looking forward to its completion.

But these Pomo Potemkin Villages/Disney Main Street Type Buildings - where it's all one big building but it's made to look like an organic outcropping of smaller buildings in different "styles" - are a little odd. Mainly because the individual building vernacular in the new parts is so different than what already exists in Toronto. For instance, the leftover red-brick Victorian storefronts on Bathurst next to the 50 Shades of Grey parts of the new development don't look very well integrated. I don't think they should have done some historical re-imagining with all of the Victorian whirligigs and such, but maybe if they took inspiration from Toronto's strong modernist buildings and kept some of the brick in the new buildings - it might look like more "real."
I think if they'd at least clad a couple of the volumes in contextual red brick or some natural tones it would've gone a long way, especially the ground level buildings. It is a jarring contrast, I'm inclined to agree. I don't mind the white portions as much but the shade of grey they chose is very dour, almost prison-like.

I'm told that the hope is to have Bestco (the supermarket) open by mid November.

Peering in the windows at the state of fit-out, I would call that ambitious, but do-able.

December is a huge month in grocery, so I would hope, for their sake, they're open and able to take advantage of that.

Permits are in hand.

Last edited:

Torontos love affair grey.

Back