Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

It's unreasonable to criticize recent comments as 'bumping' or 'doom-saying' in this situation. For many it's the most highly anticipated project in the last 20 years. There were 347 pages dedicated to it. For the promoters to not release one smidgeon of information in 6-12 months is beyond frustrating. For that reason this thread isnt going to sit idle for extended periods.

Mike in TO, can you expand on your comment in any way? Thanks.

It's unreasonable to criticize recent comments as 'bumping' or 'doom-saying' in this situation. For many it's the most highly anticipated project in the last 20 years. There were 347 pages dedicated to it. For the promoters to not release one smidgeon of information in 6-12 months is beyond frustrating. For that reason this thread isnt going to sit idle for extended periods.

From last week's frontpage story:

Robin Ramcharan, Project Manager at Projectcore, confirmed that the development is on track and moving along well. "We continue to explore programming, interior elements, and we are looking at interesting mixed-use components with built-in flexibility to allow for changes in the market," Ramcharan stated. "The process does take time but we remain on track and have made significant progress with major issues."

Projectcore is determined to maintain the original design intent of the distinctive towers, as allowing Frank Gehry to leave his mark on the Toronto skyline was a driving force behind the height and expression of the towers. "When we hired Frank Gehry, we didn't want to constrain one of the world’s best architects to standard restrictions," says Ramcharan. "We believe it was important to make a statement that good architecture should take the lead, and we worked to find a balance with planning metrics."

The first of the towers on this list to be proposed, Mirvish+Gehry has been slow-moving, but appears to be inching its way closer to reality.

The fact that it's so highly anticipated is also why it's such a damn tease anytime someone bumps this thread with no news. When you see the thread suddenly pop up to the top of the pages after not being seen for weeks, you expect so see some news, not someone complaining about the lack of news. That's what I call "beyond frustrating".

The fact that it's so highly anticipated is also why it's such a damn tease anytime someone bumps this thread with no news. When you see the thread suddenly pop up to the top of the pages after not being seen for weeks, you expect so see some news, not someone complaining about the lack of news. That's what I call "beyond frustrating".

You should have seen how angry I got when the Kraft thread was bumped the other day... it's like ugh. The next time I want to see these damn threads is when something is being done or announced. Too many times the big projects just fade away never to be seen again.

I wonder how much of the wait revolves around them trying to ensure Gehry's original design is carried out to its fullest extent while remaining within budget.

I am a bit confused.... thought this was already fully approved by the city?

I am a bit confused.... thought this was already fully approved by the city?

The rezoning had been appealed to the OMB, and then the City and the owners reached a settlement, which was approved by the Board in 2014. The Board withheld its order, which is not unusual, so as to allow the parties to finalize the site-specific by-law, the Section 37 agreement, and the heritage easement agreements. The documents either took awhile to finalize, or the parties agreed to delay pursuing the order while the details of the development were being finalized (so as to ensure that the site-specific zoning by-law is consistent with the plans).

Back