Toronto Minto Westside | 68.88m | 20s | Minto Group | Wallman Architects

Just walked by. Lots of hydro work going on, a lane closure, and dust flying everywhere.

Pic taken May 6, 2016

2MgbJxI.jpg

Hi, I'd be grateful for anyone's help with this...

I've been working on some genealogy and found out that some folks had a hotel at the North-East corner of Bathurst & Front in the 1860s-1880s, where the Westside is going. It was demolished at the end of the 19th Century and that area became a factory. Considering the excavations for the Forward/Netown condos at Bathurst & Fort York yielded a trove of finds, I'm hoping for something similar at the Westside site. I've tried reaching out to Minto but so far I've only gotten a standard reply back last fall from a rep saying they were planning on digging Fall 2016 and would tell me if they found anything (yeah...right).

I know some of you are engineers, brokers, etc... and I would be grateful for any help reaching out to the excavation crew or Minto. The particular tree I'm working on is a gift for someone and the ancestor that owned and operated the hotel at that corner ALSO worked for the Ontario, Simcoe & Huron Railway. The Forward/Newton excavations unearthed the remnants of the OSH Railway buildings. Being able to find a piece of the original hotel (probably just some old wood or bricks) would be an incredible gift to attach to this tree.

I'm neither of the above and I don't know what help this would be. The excavator is marked Anpro Excavating.

try seeing if you can find out who the planner was for the file and email them asking if an archaeological report was prepared with the application, and if so, ask them if they could send you a copy of it. That may shed some more light on the history of the property for you.

An archeological report doesn't appear in the supporting documentation for the project, but that doesn't mean one wasn't necessarily prepared.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...ion=init&folderRsn=2939248&isCofASearch=false

try seeing if you can find out who the planner was for the file and email them asking if an archaeological report was prepared with the application, and if so, ask them if they could send you a copy of it. That may shed some more light on the history of the property for you.

An archeological report doesn't appear in the supporting documentation for the project, but that doesn't mean one wasn't necessarily prepared.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...ion=init&folderRsn=2939248&isCofASearch=false
Thank you SO much!!! And thank you 'maestro' for the tip-off on the excavator!

Today:

wIMG_3961.JPG
wIMG_3962.JPG
wIMG_3963.JPG
wIMG_3964.JPG
wIMG_3979.JPG

Attachments

• wIMG_3961.JPG
    wIMG_3961.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 1,135
  • wIMG_3962.JPG
    wIMG_3962.JPG
    389.8 KB · Views: 1,122
  • wIMG_3963.JPG
    wIMG_3963.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 1,648
  • wIMG_3964.JPG
    wIMG_3964.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 1,542
  • wIMG_3979.JPG
    wIMG_3979.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 1,153
Excavation has proceeded quite quickly on the Minto Westside site, with the south portion of the site being fully excavated, and the north portion rapidly nearing completion.

The first crane base, at the south-east corner, is now in place - has been for several days, and the first crane should be installed any day now.

this has been one of the largest excavations I can remember in a while. Its a tight run machine too, probably averaging a load of dirt every minute or so when I've walked by. It seemed to operate as more of a gravel pit than a condo excavation.

Back