Toronto Minto Westside | 68.88m | 20s | Minto Group | Wallman Architects

I think a setback half-way up the building here would look great: (where they have already added indentations anyway, which is nice but not enough IMO):

6a014e5faedbb5970c01676.jpg

Not really visible in any of the renderings, but that design ought to play interestingly with the Block 32 building directly across the tracks, in light of both having types of geometric scrambling in white.

The retail in all these new condos is starting to all look alike. There is something else that can be done than just floor to ceiling glass. Developers need to get a bit more creative.

At least Rudy is ripping off good designs.

First image: Lundgaard & Tranberg, Copenhagen, ca. 2006

Second: Freed/Rudy Walman, ca. 2012

Attachments

• P741.jpg
    P741.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 354
  • Freed Walman (mirrored).jpg
    Freed Walman (mirrored).jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 322
Or maybe he's just going back to a version of his original proposal for the site, which was about 4 years ago with Context?

My point is, this design bears an uncanny resemblance to the pic I took above which was designed almost a decade earlier. Not that there is anything wrong with ripping off a good design, everybody does it.

Last edited:
Not that there is anything wrong with ripping off a good design, everybody does it.

That doesn't make it right. It shows a lack of originality, which is too common in all aspects of life these days; not just architecture in this city.

I'm calling this project Fort Freedville. There should be a sign on top of this building shouting it out--welcome to Freedville, sponsered by me? :D

Calm down UD. This project is being led creatively under the direction of Minto. Freed is a backseat passenger on this one.

Freed is busy pissing everybody off in the east end.

Yes I'm aware. That is why I was so impressed by this design--Minto is a very conservative developer. I do wonder though if they'll hold on to half of the units for their Minto rentals company? Esp with Tridel doing the same next door at Reve.

The area--named by me :)--is known as Freedville. The building is located near Fort York and rather looks like a fort. So it's so cheeky to be called Fort Freedville.

Back