Toronto Michael Garron Hospital, Toronto East Health Network | ?m | 8s | Infrastructure Ontar | Diamond Schmitt

Because 'Toronto East General Hospital' was an irreplaceable name? Would you have preferred if they'd named it after the last mayor of East York, or the doctor/writer who worked there (IIRC) or me? (I used to live on Holborne!)

Your resentment is noted. Thanks.

Bayer's concern had nothing to do with the current name being irreplaceable, or there being more worthy people after whom it could be named.

Bayer's concern had nothing to do with the current name being irreplaceable, or there being more worthy people after whom it could be named.

I disagree. Bayer did not specify what he/she would prefer, so I (rhetorically, at least in part, sure) asked what they would prefer. If you don't like a change, you need to either (a) specify why TEGH should stay (in your opinion) or (b) suggest a better option. Now, that's my opinion -- you can say that Bayer doesn't need to say why he/she is cranky other than his/her thinking the new name is unseemly. But I think it's worth asking the question about what Bayer thinks would be better than naming the building after a kid that was born there and died young.

This is the real issue.
Yeah, i assumed it was a heritage bldg., but i guess not?

Article from Feb/2011....................http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/rob_granatstein/2011/02/25/17412061.html
Why Toronto East General Hospital must be put on the fast track to redevelopment

Saving the old structure and retrofitting it is a non-starter, despite intense work done to find a way to rework it.

Rob Devitt, TEGH's president, said the province won't pay the premium to refit something that, after a huge investment, still won't be up to modern health care standards or the needs of the community. Why would the province throw good money into dark holes on purpose?

And good health care has to trump heritage.

I disagree. Bayer did not specify what he/she would prefer, so I (rhetorically, at least in part, sure) asked what they would prefer. If you don't like a change, you need to either (a) specify why TEGH should stay (in your opinion) or (b) suggest a better option. Now, that's my opinion -- you can say that Bayer doesn't need to say why he/she is cranky other than his/her thinking the new name is unseemly. But I think it's worth asking the question about what Bayer thinks would be better than naming the building after a kid that was born there and died young.

Bayer's concern was clear on its face (I don't understand what's so complicated about his view that the naming rights for public institutions should not be up for grabs to large donors, regardless of the backstory). And he doesn't "need" to do any of the things you seem to think (s)he does, nor do any of us need to agree with your attempt to reframe the issue as one of what's better than the name of a dead kid. Nobody has raised that as an issue.

This is the real issue.
While there's not a lot of detail regarding the shape of the redevelopment plans available to the public yet, it appears from the one small rendering available that they intend to save the north Streamline Moderne wing which fronts Coxwell Avenue, but not the south one. It may have to do with the ability and/or cost to reuse that space once patient rooms have been moved to the new wing. We have seen time and time again in hospitals that owing to the march of technology, the older buildings simply cannot be effectively renovated to deliver modern patient care. Women's College came down, Riverside Hospital came down, parts of St. Mike's will be coming down, etc.

EDIT: and now I've seen AG's repost of 2011 article which essentially says that.

Notwithstanding my comments, I had surgery at TEGH a few weeks ago, and frankly this redevelopment (which is about to begin, independently of this large donation) is absolutely urgent. Old patient rooms used as offices, old washrooms used as storage - the place is decrepit.

Notwithstanding my comments, I had surgery at TEGH a few weeks ago, and frankly this redevelopment (which is about to begin, independently of this large donation) is absolutely urgent. Old patient rooms used as offices, old washrooms used as storage - the place is decrepit.

I think we can all agree on that.

While there's not a lot of detail regarding the shape of the redevelopment plans available to the public yet, it appears from the one small rendering available that they intend to save the north Streamline Moderne wing which fronts Coxwell Avenue, but not the south one. It may have to do with the ability and/or cost to reuse that space once patient rooms have been moved to the new wing. We have seen time and time again in hospitals that owing to the march of technology, the older buildings simply cannot be effectively renovated to deliver modern patient care. Women's College came down, Riverside Hospital came down, parts of St. Mike's will be coming down, etc.

EDIT: and now I've seen AG's repost of 2011 article which essentially says that.

Same reason too why Toronto General sold the College Wing. You've hit the nail on the head. Doesn't mean that we can't advocate/yearn/hope for better solutions that include heritage preservation, though (not that you're saying that we can't). East York as a whole doesn't have a strong heritage fabric, and in particular almost all of the historic buildings on these old "Billy McKay" lands having been bulldozed. The Coxwell Ave building isn't the original TEGH building, but it's the closest we have (there's not much left of the original building, buried as it under multiple additions).

I'm dubious as to the value in preserving only one wing of the building, or what that would look like.

Press release:

Companies shortlisted for Michael Garron Hospital - A division of Toronto East Health Network - Phase 1 New Patient Care Tower Project
TORONTO, Nov. 4, 2016 /CNW/ - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Michael Garron Hospital (formerly Toronto East General Hospital), a division of Toronto East Health Network, shortlisted three companies to design, build and finance the new patient care tower project at the hospital.

Based on a request for qualifications process that began in June 2016, the following companies were shortlisted:

EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare (EDIH)

• Design Build: EllisDon Design Build Inc.
  • Design Team: B+H Architects and Diamond Schmitt Architects
  • Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital

PCL Partnership

• Design Build: PCL Constructor Canada Inc.
  • Design Team: Parkin Architects Limited and WZMH Architects
  • Financial Advisor: TD Securities

Walsh Toronto East Health Partners

• Design Build: Walsh Canada (Walsh)
  • Design Team: Perkins + Will and Cumulus Architects
  • Financial Advisor: Walsh Infrastructure Canada Ltd. (WIC)

The project involves the construction of a new eight-story patient care tower and separate three-story connection, as well as demolition of some existing space and renovations to the existing hospital. Approximately 550,000 square feet of the hospital will be redeveloped, including:

• Replacement of the oldest beds in the medical/surgical and rehabilitation units
  • Replacement of the mental health inpatient units for adult and child/youth care
  • Consolidation of ambulatory care and ambulatory procedures
  • Creation of two levels of underground parking and a new main entrance
  • Accommodation of other administrative and support services needed to support the clinical services

The project also involves renovation of approximately 100,000 square feet of select areas within the existing hospital.

The redevelopment project will enable the delivery of efficient, accessible, high-quality patient care, while replacing some of the oldest spaces in the hospital.

As part of an ongoing fair, open and transparent procurement process, the shortlisted companies will be invited to respond to a request for proposals, which is expected to be issued in early 2017.

Ontario is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in the province's history—about $160 billion over 12 years—which is supporting 110,000 jobs every year across the province, with projects such as hospitals, schools, roads, bridges and transit. Since 2015, the province has announced support for more than 475 projects that will keep people and goods moving, connect communities and improve quality of life. To learn more about infrastructure projects in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.

Quick Facts

• IO and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care are working closely with Michael Garron Hospital to redevelop the hospital, which will remain publicly owned, controlled and accountable.
  • The project is expected to achieve a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Silver certification for design excellence and sustainability.
  • The project is being delivered using IO's Alternative Financing and Procurement model, an innovative way of financing and procuring large, complex public infrastructure projects, with a track record of being 98 per cent on budget to date.

Quotes:

Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care"The milestone reached today is a tremendous leap forward in realizing the vision for an expanded state-of-the-art hospital that provides quality healthcare for patients of East Toronto for generations to come."

Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Infrastructure"Once completed, the Michael Garron Hospital will be able to provide improved service and care with a new patient care tower and renovations to the rest of the hospital. Better health care with smart investments is a priority for our government."

Sarah Downey, President and Chief Executive Officer, Michael Garron Hospital
"We're really looking forward to working with these exceptional teams on the next stage in our redevelopment journey. Our project, which includes the Ken and Marilyn Thomson Patient Care Centre as well as renovations to the existing facility, will help Michael Garron Hospital to continue providing exceptional care, treatment and support to residents of the east Toronto for generations to come."

Ehren Cory, Divisional President, Project Delivery, Infrastructure Ontario"Infrastructure Ontario is proud to work with Michael Garron Hospital on this redevelopment project. We have a very strong track record of delivering projects safely and effectively and we look forward to continuing that track record with the delivery of this project."

Seems pretty reasonable not to allow renaming an entire facility - only specific buildings.

AoD
Note that in the November press release above, Hoskins' is the only pre-prepared quote that doesn't refer to the hospital by its donor name

Back