Toronto Michael Garron Hospital, Toronto East Health Network | ?m | 8s | Infrastructure Ontar | Diamond Schmitt

It's not clear to me from the recent reporting that the original wing is still being demolished - that's not being made clear the same way it was in the news reports from last year. Maybe it's just TEG underplaying the controversial aspect of the redevelopment.

It's not clear to me from the recent reporting that the original wing is still being demolished - that's not being made clear the same way it was in the news reports from last year. Maybe it's just TEG underplaying the controversial aspect of the redevelopment.

You're right, it certainly isn't clear just yet- I might be getting ahead of myself. Unfortunately the language of the report along with the vague renderings don't offer much promise though.

A shame that the new reno keeps that ugly Mortimer "peach pastel" wing on Mortimer they built in the 90s.

Also, I heard a rumour as a kid that the old East York Board of Education HQ at the SW corner of Coxwell/Mortimer that is now an East Gen admin building has an underground tunnel to the hospital.

Last edited:
I rather agree with Automation Gallery. The donor's child died in 1975 I believe was born at this location. I think this is an amazing and heartfelt gesture.
It is important to the family, but I am not about to break into applause. The TEGH, again, is publicly financed and I resent having it named after a private citizen for a fraction of its annual budget.

I can't get over the fact that they will demolish this facade on Coxwell (if I'm not mistaken). The new addition looks utterly bland.

3574051329_fd6f070267_b.jpg

Odd to rename an entire hospital but, $50 million is a ridiculous sum.

Yes, Toronto is no place for large-scale philanthropy. If you want to feel good about leaving your money to an important cause, please find the humility to do it somewhere else. :confused:

It's also a well known fact that Princess Margaret, St. Michael and St. Joseph spent their formative years in this city...

A building or wing, yes - but an entire hospital? I think it sets a bad precedent - and naming for donation is never about humility (that's what anonymous donors are).

AoD

It is important to the family, but I am not about to break into applause. The TEGH, again, is publicly financed and I resent having it named after a private citizen for a fraction of its annual budget.

Because 'Toronto East General Hospital' was an irreplaceable name? Would you have preferred if they'd named it after the last mayor of East York, or the doctor/writer who worked there (IIRC) or me? (I used to live on Holborne!)

Your resentment is noted. Thanks.

Back