News   Sep 19, 2024
 664     0 
News   Sep 19, 2024
 525     0 
News   Sep 19, 2024
 846     0 

Toronto Media Landscape and Personalities

I love how they included The Beaverton. And that there are people that actually trust a satirical news outlet as a reliable source.
To be fair to the Beaverton, it is more reliable than a certain vulpine “news” network or even the ultra-GOP “news” networks that make the aforementioned vulpine “news” network comparatively “wole.”

I spotted someone yesterday who's likely to become the next colourful local personality - some guy riding around downtown begging on a motorized wheelchair wearing just shorts so that you can clearly see all the disturbing burn scars covering his whole body. The sign on the back of his chair had a link to a Go Fund Me page named "BBQ'd Jack"...

Not good news.... in G&M

Corus Entertainment Inc.
CJR-B-T -25.00%decrease

says it expects to have slashed 25 per cent of its full-time work force by the end of next month compared with the beginning of its 2023 fiscal year, as the company continues to “aggressively cut costs.”

Corus has shut down Hamilton's 900 CHML talk radio station and laid off some Global radio staff in London.

The stories from the last couple of months said Corus was a billion dollars in debt had a deadline of Sept. 1 to work out a deal with creditors.
We could see more of these stations have their format changed to "silent". (Edit: For a short time today, that is what the wikipedia page had there for CHML. It was then moved to the "Former assets" list.)

Last edited:
Speaking of Corus Entertainment, they even rebranded Teletoon into Cartoon Network Canada, leaving the Teletoon name for its French-language service. Adult Swim Canada is a completely separate 24-hour television channel.

Oh, and YTV nowadays is mostly reruns of popular Nickelodeon cartoons, especially SpongeBob and Avatar.

It doesn’t help that Corus has very much a monopoly on 24-hour children’s for-profit television programming in Canada.

• Sad
Reactions: PL1
I think this is best fit for this forum....

I sometimes see some decent in-depth articles in the Star... But on occasion I come across something like this that is riddled with falsehoods...

Here are a few points:
  1. The distances to the mall, downtown both by car and GO train are completely off (15-20 min walk to mall, 50-60 min car/GO to union)
  2. Why is this in the automotive section?
  3. $720/sqft at an average 500sqft is 360k....condos are selling for nearly double that...
Is this just an ad for Chestnut hill properties disguised as an article and I missed the point of it being an ad?

Not sure where to put this, but huge news this morning: Rogers has bought out Bell's position in MLSE for USD $3.5 billion. Rogers now owns 75% of MLSE.

What a bizarre vanity play for Rogers, which carries a lot of debt as it is..........

I get Bell wanting to exit and curtail its debt............

Rogers should be thinking along the same lines.

Telcos should not own sports teams, or media properties. They should be utilities, damn near debt-free, and with a regulated rate of return on anything where they have a monopoly or there is an oligopoly.

Last edited:
I wonder if they will try to have a Leafs game at the baseball stadium?
Also, strange situation now with Bell paying for broadcast rights of teams owned by Rogers.
If the Dome were to host Leafs games during the regular season, then it would hold the distinction of being the only sports venue to host regular season games of all six major professional men’s sports leagues in North America:

It currently hosts Blue Jays games (MLB) and formerly hosted the Argos (CFL), Toronto FC for a few select games (MLS), the Buffalo Bills during the Bills Toronto Series from 2008 to 2013 (NFL), and the Raptors (NBA) before the construction of the Scotiabank Arena.

I think this is best fit for this forum....

I sometimes see some decent in-depth articles in the Star... But on occasion I come across something like this that is riddled with falsehoods...

Here are a few points:
  1. The distances to the mall, downtown both by car and GO train are completely off (15-20 min walk to mall, 50-60 min car/GO to union)
  2. Why is this in the automotive section?
  3. $720/sqft at an average 500sqft is 360k....condos are selling for nearly double that...
Is this just an ad for Chestnut hill properties disguised as an article and I missed the point of it being an ad?
The Star doesn't have an 'automotive section" anymore than it has a "real estate section"; it has a couple of pages for each. Much of these lifestyle stories is written by freelancers and shouldn't be consider news. I don't think articles from contributing writers get much editorial review.

What's this then?
Screenshot_20240919_073611.jpg

So anyone can just post an article without review? Seems to go against their policies no?

I understand some papers (I think the star had this too) where the article is just an ad, but seems to me there wasn't indication of such...

Last edited:
What's this then?View attachment 597271

So anyone can just post an article without review? Seems to go against their policies no?

I understand some papers (I think the star had this too) where the article is just an ad, but seems to me there wasn't indication of such...
Ah, missed that - I was thinking of of the physical newspaper (I'm that old).

I don't know Star's formal policy but would suspect that, as a contributor, if you are a regular known, credible quantity, you might get a cursory review. I find that there are a lot of 'lifestyle-type' articles (real estate, travel, autos, food, etc.) that are little more than promotional pieces. Sometimes they will include a disclaimer at the end.

I wonder if they will try to have a Leafs game at the baseball stadium?
It's possible, though there's an interesting twist on how those work. My understanding is the NHL as an independent business "buys" these games from the home team, and they earn all the revenue for themselves, including on advertising (non-TV).
So they would have to pay MLSE for a sell-out crowd lost at the arena and that's quite high.
This is why when the Leafs were playing in Sweden last year the Leafs were tagged as the away team in both games, so they wouldn't lose a home game as the league didn't want to pay so much and it was cheaper to buyout Detroit and Minnesota.
So in any case, even if Rogers wants that, it's not necessarily up to them whether it happens, and they also wouldn't make much extra money from it other than the short-term lease of the Rogers Centre.

Last edited:

Back