Toronto MEC Queen Street (Mountain Equipment Coop) | 21.03m | 3s | Parallax | Sweeny &Co

MEC remains a very useful store (things like inexpensive bike accessories, outdoor footwear, as well as packs, camping gear), but it has lost a lot of its focus and what made MEC, MEC. The architecture, along with switch to the generic logo are indicators, as well as branching out into things that it shouldn't be doing. (Running shoes and "lifestyle" clothing for example.) New stores in very suburban locations (Barrie, London, Burlington) rather than downtown locations like Hamilton (in which it'd fit well). I'll still go (the new location is slightly more convenient), but not with the same enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Doesn't this show that you shouldn't partner with your architect -- or, if you do, ensure the deal is structured to motivate delivery of a high quality building? I bet there was something in the structure of this deal that motivated Sweeny to build this building as cheaply as possible. Maybe even unintentional on the part of MEC but Sweeny is a business person first and architect second (obviously, lol) and he would have seen an opportunity to keep some money in his pocket by building a cheaper building. And the rent for the store was probably set in advance. That's my guess.

Charlie-Conspiracy.jpg

Ok, funny image, but think about it. The terms of MEC's lease at the new property were probably set in advance. Meaning they agreed ahead of time what MEC would pay and for how long.

Even though MEC has an ownership stake in the site, there will still be a lease between the landholder group and the tenant.

In build-to-suit situations like this, the developer is obligated to deliver a certain building (size, specification, quality) etc. as detailed in the agreement, and in return the tenant will take occupancy and pay rent.

So if this was a typical build-to-suit structure, the developer now is incentivized to spend as little as possible to satisfy the building requirement as minimally as possible. Sometimes the architect is a kind of soft check against bad build quality and design, but in this case the architect was the same entity motivated to build as cheaply as possible -- if this job is structured as it typically would be. And on top of that MEC, the tenant, is the same entity that has a piece of the land ownership (and possibly a contributor to the capital costs of the building) and is also likewise motivated to spend as little as possible.

So there is an alignment of interests created by duplication of project roles, all pointing towards the job being done as cheaply as possible. Which is exactly what happened. I don't think this is a conspiratorial hypothesis although I welcome anyone to point out gaps in my theory or alternate possibilities.

What we know for sure is that this is a shit building. We also know the architect is one of the development equity partners, as is the tenant. Occam's razor, unless I am missing something, suggests that the deal was set up (inadvertently or not) to motivate the developer to build as cheaply as possible.

Back