Hamilton McMaster University: McLean Centre For Collaborative Discovery | ?m | 10s | McMaster University | Sweeny &Co

Less about the lack of interior columns (you might actually need more as your distance from the core is longer, but they are using steel here so you can probably get away with longer spans that concrete) and more than the concrete core itself isn't in the middle of your floorplan. Don't see a lot of steel construction in Hamilton so this is neat. The recent innovation park addition is the last one I can remember but that was also only 3 storeys.
I meant the core in addition to thick columns, apologies.

Ones in recent memory are the 106 Bay Building at Bay and Cannon, and the half built building on Cannon at James N. I wonder why there would be a decision to use metal frame construction over concrete in these cases. They always seem to be mid-rise, boxy buildings.

I forgot about James and Cannon as the hollowcore flooring makes me think concrete. Just where the sweet spot is for price, tteel will give you better floorplates as you'll have less column space but I don't think the costs vs concrete work the higher you go. I'd love to see some more mass timber in hamilton, glulam or CLT. Would be great if the CMHC approved design catalogue features some CLT tri/quadplexes, as you could basically mass produce the pieces at a factory and drive costs down.

Now im getting off topic.

Going up fast!

PXL_20240312_121912840.jpg

This building is looking quite a bit taller than the average 10 floor building (it's clearly visible across Cootes Paradise when driving on the 403). Does anyone have an idea of the final height?

Back