Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

307F25C3-0F1F-441C-8EB7-E29141409215.jpeg

Attachments

• 307F25C3-0F1F-441C-8EB7-E29141409215.jpeg
    307F25C3-0F1F-441C-8EB7-E29141409215.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 846
Every time I see the North face I am extremely disappointed.

One of the few times I'd prefer a dynamically designed window wall over a boring curtain wall with little thought to the impact from the North. I understand it will most likely be blocked in time, but I don't see why they couldn't have integrated some white to build cues with the other 3 sides of the tower (aka, RCMI condo on University).

Street level and the historical integration should be great, the balconies look awesome, but I feel like the North face is a missed opportunity and takes this building down a notch for me (how I felt about X and the mechanical).

I agree, the north side looks no different from Pantages next door and blends together with boring office tower across the street.
The building also seems shorter than supposed to be.

Yeb, have been saying this a while. I don't believe the height, probably over stated it.
What are you basing this on? Things are measured and inspected carefully.
People should trust professional diagrams and measurements over baseless gut feelings

One of the few times I'd prefer a dynamically designed window wall over a boring curtain wall with little thought to the impact from the North. I understand it will most likely be blocked in time, but I don't see why they couldn't have integrated some white to build cues with the other 3 sides of the tower (aka, RCMI condo on University).

Street level and the historical integration should be great, the balconies look awesome, but I feel like the North face is a missed opportunity and takes this building down a notch for me (how I felt about X and the mechanical).

Can't disagree with you there. From that angle I feel like I'm looking at a completely different building.

Do we actually know why the north face is like that?

Did they think they can save on materials by not extending the design to the north face?

I believe it is due to the close proximity with the historic building next door, there isn't enough setback space.

I believe it is due to the close proximity with the historic building next door, there isn't enough setback space.
I'm confused, are the air rights somehow considered heritage? How does the minimum setback to the heritage building apply to the balcony treatment on the tower above the heritage building?

If this is the case, I believe this is a legitimate example of our planning framework getting in the way of good design.

Back