Toronto MaRS Centre Phase 2 | 112.77m | 20s | Alexandria | B+H

That landscaping is uninspiring, but it matches the base components of the landscaping along the sidewalks of University Avenue: a cheap mass of poured concrete paving and planters and stick trees that don't seem to grow well.

Yes, those very basic planters and what they did at street level, is not very impressive. They did nothing to animate of beautify the street. Those planters are like a street curb. (much too low to the ground)

One of the most, if not the most favorite new addition to the city in the latest construction cycle, in my opinion.
Fascinating geometrical shapes and color shades of the façade, as well as a well though-after indoor extension of the central space towards the University entrance.

Last edited:
Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5G 1L7

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 131992 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Mar 21, 2014

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to existing unit on the ground floor for new cafe/restaurant less than 30 seats, "Aroma Cafe" - Mars Discovery Centre

I was in this building recently and was surprised to see a food court in the basement, along with an underground tunnel to Toronto General Hospital. It's a nice place to hang out if you arrive early for a doctor's appointment.

Hasn't the tunnel *always* been there--or do they have something more "general public friendly" now?

Looks like the Queens Park Station link's just about to open...

I think you're right, the complex of original buildings, including Sick Kids, were all connected by tunnels when first built.

I think you're right, the complex of original buildings, including Sick Kids, were all connected by tunnels when first built.

I did some work at Sick Kids ages ago, and I could swear there's a tunnel connecting west over to Mt. Sinai or Princess Margaret as well, but it's at a weird level (B3?) and clearly not intended for public use although also not restricted access. I've never been able to find the tunnel again, but I'm almost positive I used it to bring material from one hospital to the other.

I did some work at Sick Kids ages ago, and I could swear there's a tunnel connecting west over to Mt. Sinai or Princess Margaret as well, but it's at a weird level (B3?) and clearly not intended for public use although also not restricted access. I've never been able to find the tunnel again, but I'm almost positive I used it to bring material from one hospital to the other.

There is certainly a tunnel from TGH to Mt Sinai/Princess Margaret - it is used to move patients from one to the other, my neighbour was taken through it a few months ago. It is NOT public.

There is, and I have went through it. It is not that wide (probably just enough for two hospital to pass with a little room to spare), very utilitarian with painted concrete everywhere. It's definitely not meant to be used by the public.

AoD

Last edited:
4 May 2014
ClRN0yu.jpg

nvNC7w8.jpg

Back