Toronto MaRS Centre Phase 2 | 112.77m | 20s | Alexandria | B+H

This project is restarting in October so that is great news.

The BlogTO article noted by Khris says:

"I contacted MaRS to see what the status of Phase II was, but the communications officer, Linda Quattrin, was very...uncommunicative. MaRS, she said, was in "negotiations" to continue construction of the second phase. Whether this was negotiations with Alexandria, with prospective new tenants or new sources of funding, she would not say. MaRS, being a private charity, does not disclose much about its financial state.

In any case, this suggests that the project will remain in limbo until the recovery from the recession in both Canada and the United States is well underway. Get used to your new recession-era construction stump Toronto: we're likely going to be seeing it for awhile."

What makes you think "awhile" means October?

While they may be correct in their assertion of awhile, you should always take BlogTO's articles and journalistic specials with a grain of salt. It's an okay site overall, but is often riddled with erroneous information.

I can only confirm what was quoted to me by my customer. Lets hope his info is correct but don't take it as fact yet. October will tell.

Expectations are that cranes will be on site again this Fall: the MRI is in advanced discussions with stakeholders. The empty spaces in the building have filled up again, so I suppose the argument to expand is gaining strength.

I also have a contact at MARS who claims they are in discussion with stakeholders once again. Renderings have been circulating at MARS. Its going to be the exact same building that was planned. Apparently they are considering demolishing what was already built and starting from the hole again.

I also have a contact at MARS who claims they are in discussion with stakeholders once again. Renderings have been circulating at MARS. Its going to be the exact same building that was planned. Apparently they are considering demolishing what was already built and starting from the hole again.

why the heck would they do that? If it's the same building exactly?

Hes claiming there will be changes internally.

hmm interesting, but rather odd ... changes to the underground segment - seems a little more plausible if they were already above ground, particularly given this is a project that's struggled to find tenants so money would clearly be an issue for all players involved - given the delay ? :p

I'm not believing anything until I see a shovel in the ground - although the rumor (which turned out to be true) was started by relative newcomer to the forum so ... :)

So little has been built thus far, so why can't they incorporate proposed internal changes into what exists? Unless they're wanting some radical changes to the parking levels and elevator shafts, it all seems pretty silly.

Silly unless they have a new tenant whose lease is dependent on adding something to the building that was not envisioned last go 'round.

Back