Toronto MaRS Centre Phase 2 | 112.77m | 20s | Alexandria | B+H

This will soon be the best corner in all of Toronto.

I add my voice to the chorus of folks who can't wait to see this completed.

I like the building, too. And I like what Mars represents to the city.

Not a fan of this design but it could be worse. I've just seen too many of these types of buildings elsewhere to think it will be any more special in Toronto, simply because of its location.

If this building will contribute to perhaps "... the best corner in all Toronto" we are indeed in serious trouble.

College & University is currently a legitimate contender for the outright worst corner downtown, saved only by the views to the north and south. Even if MaRS turns out merely OK, the best that may happen is that the corner will just be the most disappointing in the entire city...best intentions gone awry on all four corners.

so....what is the best corner in the downtown area? King & Bay? Yonge & Dundas? Bloor & Avenue Rd.?.....hmm.....

College & University is currently a legitimate contender for the outright worst corner downtown

Why? Because the street isn't met with donut shops and drycleaners?

king and bay is pretty cool but mostly symbolically.

Yonge and Bloor really refers to Yorkville.

Bloor and Avenue Road is quite nice.

College & University is currently a legitimate contender for the outright worst corner downtown, saved only by the views to the north and south. Even if MaRS turns out merely OK, the best that may happen is that the corner will just be the most disappointing in the entire city...best intentions gone awry on all four corners.

funny, I love College & University - and I think the MARs building will only make it that much better.

Foster's Pharmacy building is a great building. Walking by it the other day cemented my love for it - exposed concrete pillars or not.

The concrete pillars are my only complaint. Otherwise, I like the building as well. When the globes inside are lit up at night, it looks quite cool.

I don't find the MaRS building hideous by any stretch. The rendering suggests a building that looks better than what was originally supposed to go there, so for me, it is a big improvement.

The subway entrances could be improved.

This new MaRS phase seems sillier every time I look at the rendering. It's one of the most prominent sites in the entire city - if they're not going give the site what it deserves, why not at least keep the aesthetics of the eastern tower?

"Foster"'s Pharmacy building is atrocious during daylight hours. It's a crude, hulking polka-dot mess with a large garage door fronting College. It's an ugly affront to the delightful CCBR next door. Yes, the pods are kinda cool at night, but I'm already over the novelty and the other parts of the building that I've used are rather worthless. I'm so very pleased with the cheapness of the B1 lecture hall (it already needs to be repainted).

The firefighters' memorial is terrible. The subway entrance barn is terrible. The cracked dual sidewalks are terrible. And this is all tied together by plain grass and three mingy shrubs.

The Hydro Building, I actually sort of like - the building, though, not the courtyard, which is revolting.

Why? Because the street isn't met with donut shops and drycleaners?

Your response is random enough that I can't tell if it's sincere or bitchy or ironic or...

Calling this an intersection of streets is being way too generous...what should be our most important and most attractive intersection is nothing more than two roads that just happen to cross. It really is a sorry sight to step out of the Legislature and see blah on three corners. Only time will tell if it'll go 4 for 4...

True, College & University is a total rat hole compared to the beauty and wonder of Bay & Dundas, or Bay & Gerrard, or Church & Dundas, or Front & Spadina, or Queen & Sherbourne

Of course this is a beautiful intersection. Why? Because it works on so many levels - interesting use of buildings, combination of modern and older architecture, blend of many types of transportation (subway, streetcar, car and bike lanes), large, beautiful well-aged trees, massive sidewalks to accommodate pedestrians, and Queen's Park. It can be better but it offers a lot more diversity then most other intersections. Edit to note: agreed, the subway barns are hideous.

What I like most is how the two streets offer completely different views regardless of what direction you look. Looking North on Queen's Park you get to see a nice, well aged structure surrounded by old, large trees. Few places in the core offer you this. West on College you get a great view of the street-car tracks, bikes lanes and combo of old and new buildings the meet the street, are well maintained and invite a lot of foot traffic (even if they are students). South on University is a grand avenue unlike anything else in the country. East on College gives you view of huge sidewalks, streetcar tracks and the intensified 'urban' mix of super talls and heritage buildings. In sum, this is a really inviting intersection with a lot of diversity and sights to see.

All intersections have different things going for them and it would insane of us to try and agree on a concensus best intersection. But to say that Toronto is in a lot of trouble if U/C is our best or that it is the worst is probably overstating your dislike for the area. Surely, the corner of Lakeshore and Lower Simcoe must rank below University and College. C'mon.

True, College & University is a total rat hole compared to the beauty and wonder of Bay & Dundas, or Bay & Gerrard, or Church & Dundas, or Front & Spadina, or Queen & Sherbourne
i think my sarcasm meter just broke while reading that post.

Back