Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

a) There's no room for one because it is a much smaller site than Market Wharf.

b) There's no room for one because it is a much smaller site than Market Wharf.

Well, they could have always demolished the building next to the Mozo site to accommodate a tower like the developers are planning to do to Rackhouse M at the Distillery. They could have even recycled its bricks into the design of the point tower podium!

Also, small sites are hardly obstacles for towers:

1.jpg

I've said this before and I'm saying it again -- I think that podiums (podia?) are a fad. I fully expect that in 50 years, people will look at a building and be able to say that it was probably built between 1990 and 2015 (or whenever) based on it having a podium, just as people now can date a building to be probably from the 1960s or 1970s if it is a concrete Brutalist building (which were about as popular in their day as podiums are now).

Good point, Mongo - why build like we're living in the timid "fear of heights" Toronto of the June Rowlands era when we can build to reflect the present?

Dipster Huck: Perhaps the owners of the MoZo site didn't own the building next to it? Perhaps they didn't see Scotia Plaza as a model for their condo development? Perhaps - as you have already pointed out - they "built to suit the context of their neighbourhood" instead.

Perhaps - as you have already pointed out - they "built to suit the context of their neighbourhood" instead.

And what is the difference in context, then, of King and Sherbourne versus the St. Lawrence market neighbourhood? In both cases, the developers are trying to build within an existing area of red brick, midrise blocks.

Do all large sites demand point towers?

PS: the tower shown is 1 King West.

Larger sites like Market Wharf offer a wider range of possibilities, including point towers. Pier 27 is another good example of how this larger site principle works, though Clewes's design solution includes no point towers even though it is in the vicinity of several tall buildings.

There is no reason why the owners of the MoZo site should have seen a 1 King West style development as appropriate for their site, especially since it didn't incorporate a historic bank building. Again, you're grasping for interchangeability that doesn't exist.

Good point, Mongo - why build like we're living in the timid "fear of heights" Toronto of the June Rowlands era when we can build to reflect the present?

What if we're making mistakes in the present? What's wrong taking a second look at what we're doing?

I'm sure this was considered a "reflection of the present" in the 1980s.

C816986HarbourSquare.jpg

A fine way to treat the waterfront... but at least an 'honest reflection' of the 1980s.

I'm sure this was considered a "reflection of the present" in the 1980s.

C816986HarbourSquare.jpg

A fine way to treat the waterfront... but at least an 'honest reflection' of the 1980s.

Actually, we're talking about an 'honest reflection' of the 1970s. By the 1980s, this was already deemed urbanistically horrendous--more so, maybe, than even today, since that was before Brutalism came back into architectural-appreciation fashion.

Although the stuff at the left *was* put up at the end of the 80s; but it was still more or less tying up the loose threads of the 70s, this time with a Miami Vice stylistic makeover...

There is no reason why the owners of the MoZo site should have seen a 1 King West style development as appropriate for their site, especially since it didn't incorporate a historic bank building. Again, you're grasping for interchangeability that doesn't exist.

Shocker, you're being a pedant. The lack of an existing historic bank building doesn't mean that the builders of Mozo precluded themselves from building a skinny condo tower. My rationale is certainly not that tall buildings must be built adjacent to bank towers. That is asinine. Incidentally, the condo across the street - King's Court - did, in fact, incorporate a historic bank building into its design and, yet, the builders of that condo didn't feel the need to build an anorexic tower on the site. Rather, that building was appropriately scaled, in deference to the older, more venerable warehouse neighbourhood around it.

Back at the Market Wharf site, the Clewes buidling establishes no links and no ties (beside a very perfunctory podium) to the established St. Lawrence neighbourhood. While the St. Lawrence neighbourhood was more a product of Crombie-era height restriction, it had the benefit of paying respect to the century-old church spires and domes in the area, such as St. James cathedral and St. Lawrence hall. Despite lifting these restrictions, all subsequent development in the area respected this modest, yet dignified scale.

Larger sites like Market Wharf offer a wider range of possibilities, including point towers. Pier 27 is another good example of how this larger site principle works, though Clewes's design solution includes no point towers even though it is in the vicinity of several tall buildings.

Similarly large sites in the vicinity of Market Wharf have been built out in the last two decades, such as the large parcel on the southeast corner of Jarvis and Front, and the developers there didn't feel compelled to build a point tower. As I mentioned, up until now, most developers deferred building taller towers in this neighbourhood.

Well, now we have some lovely new spires in the neighbourhood - Clewes is remaking the skyline with them, and the residents of the St. Lawrence are the fortunate beneficiaries. And St. James' Cathedral will be getting their very own little Clewes glass box too, so perhaps it is God's will.

Soon the residents of the St. Lawrence neighbourhoood will be embraced by a wonderful architectural garland - Pure Spirit and its prow as a view terminus at the east end of the Esplanade, with Clear Spirit and the Gooderham towers beyond it; Spire to the north; and Market Wharf - with its strong podium establishing a link to the existing red brick buildings on either side and a tower that joins the existing context of towers that form the delightfully ever-expanding garland.

I think it's pretty clear for some Clewes can do no wrong. It seems some developers have figured this out too.

It's a common sense revolution...

If one boxy architect is willing to bend the balconies a bit here and there... I see no reason he should not have license to rebuild the entire city.

There's a ray of hope around every corner.

Prices were released last night. $550 per sq. ft. is the cheapest unit in the tower on the 9th floor ($243.000 for 441 sq. ft.). $450 sq. ft. the cheapest in the podium with no balconies and no views. just crazy!

Back