Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

The incredible shrinking bedroom

I just looked at those floorplans and my goodness they are ..ah..cute.
Does anybody remember when a 9'9" x 9' room was not a bedroom, it was a walk-in closet, and then as time went on it was called a den.

Has anyone here ever seen what a Queen size bed looks like in a room this size?? Forget furniture for starters.

My friend's cottage guest room is a little bigger than this with a Queen bed.
Basically you leap head first from the doorway (door was taken off) onto the bed. I'm exagerating, but only a little.Lotsa fun. Took out whats left of my poor old kneecaps against the wall on the weekend. Had to get up in the middle of the night to use the privy.

As Henny Youngman said " You have to go outside the room just to change your mind."

The way room sizes are going, ten years from now, we are going to have to learn how to sleep standing up.:p

I just looked at those floorplans and my goodness they are ..ah..cute.
Does anybody remember when a 9'9" x 9' room was not a bedroom, it was a walk-in closet, and then as time went on it was called a den.

The way room sizes are going, ten years from now, we are going to have to learn how to sleep standing up.:p

I think anything less than 100 sqft (not including closet) should not be considered a bedroom.

Considering that TO still has vast amount of land for development and re-development, 1 bedroom units should NOT be less than 600 sqft; nor should we be paying ~$500+/sqft.

My current favourite example of this trend are the "dens" shown on the Emerald Park Condos floorplans. 5 feet by 6 feet is barely enough room for a TV and a couple of chairs (if you don't mind sitting RIGHT in front of it).

Ok, so much for the goofy bedrooms in this place. Whats up with the 4' x 25' balconies. Are there enough bowling, shuffleboarding, target shooting buyers to fill this building?:D
I have not seen balconies remotely approaching these absurd proportions since the 1960's.

What do you do with this kind of space?? ..other than (god help us) storage.

My current favourite example of this trend are the "dens" shown on the Emerald Park Condos floorplans. 5 feet by 6 feet is barely enough room for a TV and a couple of chairs (if you don't mind sitting RIGHT in front of it).

Den's are meant as a little library or a computer area (desk and a chair). Living rooms are for the TV and a couple of chairs.... although that is becoming hard too now with these sizes

^I thought dens were for the dogs? My pet labradoodle has a 100 sq ft condo!

My Sheltie as a similar arrangement, along with her own Queen size bed which she lets me sleep in every night as long as I don't disturb her too much.

All kidding aside.

I have no idea what the prices are like for these units, but I'm guessing people are going to be in for some real price sticker shocks.

At the risk of making an assumption that this building aint gonna be cheap, the question has to be asked.

Is there a true genuine value attached to purchasing here?

A. A good location, though I don't think a lower floor would hold much appeal, especially on the railway side. I strongly suspect the builder knows this and will put extra fat premiums on the higher floors to offset lower than average pricing on the lower floors. The exception will be the really smartly designed 'towns'. They will go fast and as expensive as the market will bear.

B. Some interesting unit designs but COMPACT! Looking at these layouts remind me of being at the RV trailer show where designs carefully utilize every square millimetre of space..because they have to.

C. Overall building design? Those weird longggg balconies.. Subject to personal taste I guess. Will the simple folk decide this is nice because Mr. Clewes designed it and a critic wrote a (very suspect) article in a local newspaper, gushing over how it was so nice, or will there be genuine excitement over it.

its an ok investment in terms of new condos being built in that area, compared to the L tower its a great value. but compared to existing condos in the area such as 25 esplanade, you can get better value there. its all if u want new. on a lighter note, i went to the vip preview the spring rolls they were serving was great!

A little update:

As of this evening, this building is around 50% sold (intend to buy)

Price list:

Studio 390 sq ft = $189k
Towns from 819 sq ft @ $458k to 1181 sq ft @ $659k
Market facing from 485 sq ft @ $222k to 890 sq ft @ $500k
Harbour facing from 441 sq ft @ $249k to 1046 sq ft @ $618k
Penthouses of 1254 sq ft @ $873k to 2005 sq ft @ $1,438k

Parking is $29.5k while locker is $3.5k

Maintenance fees are $0.47 per sq ft plus $45.16/month for parking and $10.84/month for locker.

Occupancy is scheduled from between June 2011 and November 2011 depending on the location of the unit within the tower.

I will post a few pictures of the model soon.

A little update:

As of this evening, this building is around 50% sold (intend to buy)

Price list:

Studio 390 sq ft = $189k
Townhomes from 819 sq ft @ $458k to 1181 sq ft @ $659k
Market facing from 485 sq ft @ $222k to 890 sq ft @ $500k
Harbour facing from 441 sq ft @ $249k to 1046 sq ft @ $618k
Penthouses of 1254 sq ft @ $873k to 2005 sq ft @ $1,438k

Parking is $29.5k while locker is $3.5k

Maintenance fees are $0.47 per sq ft plus $45.16/month for parking and $10.84/month for locker.

Occupancy is scheduled from between June 2011 and November 2011 depending on the location of the unit within the tower.

I will post a few pictures of the model soon.

I've always liked Context, but these price are rediculous. 560ish/sq ft east of Yonge? There are much more affordable and dare I say more attractive options in the st lawrence market area. Liberty and Imperial lofts for example.

And their prices for the penthouses are even crazier. Yorkville prices in the market. Pass. But hey, I guess if they're already 50% sold they must be extra nice. Either that or people are wildly attracted to wavy balconies.

Back