Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

Yes, it also minimizes the higgeldy-piggeldy windowshade thing - it maintains the recently-constructed look of the building longer than clear glass balconies.

I guess the advantage of opaque glass if you can't see the junk on everyone's balcony.

I hear you, but I should hope that people aren't allowed to store any junk on their condo balconies. As an exclusive-use common element, residents don't own their balconies. The Board has rules and regulations about what can and cannot be stored. At River City, we have to have specific colour outdoor furniture to compliment the exterior.

Market Wharf is an awesome project; but while opaque glass looks nice for pedestrians, they are awful for residents (unless you have a truly horrendous view that needs to be blocked!). I'd only buy into a project with tinted glass. Clear glass is just too open and exposed. The best ones really are like sunglasses: they reflect a lot of light from the outside, but you can see right through them while inside your unit. These types still offer lots of privacy.

In my rental building in High Park, a lot of the 1960's apts have been renovated recently with black balcony glass. Looks amazing from the outside (you can't see anything on the balconies) and looks amazing from inside. I wish more new condo projects used the black (and highly reflective) balcony glass. It really looks top notch!

(p.s. I kinda wish the glass used at River City was darker and went full black lol :p)

The balcony glass are not actually opaque. They are clear glass with narrow white stripes interleaving, so you can still see through them.

The frit is easy to see through in fact when you're up close to it, while it masks most everything when you're a distance from it. It's a great option.

I think this is far nicer than the L Tower.

L Tower is decent but I've never really seen what all the fuss is about.

I wonder why they haven't completed the rear side facing the GO/CN tracks with brick yet? It has been sitting like this since January. Meanwhile the building is nearly complete.

p5

I think this is far nicer than the L Tower.

L Tower is decent but I've never really seen what all the fuss is about.

L Tower has a striking profile and bold details like the white lines on its facade. Market Wharf is also well detailed, but it has the profile of a slab tower (being really wide for its height). Its details like the balconies and the excellent podium make it a positive addition to the city, though it's not on the iconic end of the spectrum like L Tower with that tower's unique and eye-catching profile.

May 25
9020878439_ba3d1866a5_b.jpg

9022686004_ba86c7dd87_b.jpg

9020473703_1fe3e5cc85_b.jpg

9020476723_d55538af69_b.jpg

I wonder why they haven't completed the rear side facing the GO/CN tracks with brick yet? It has been sitting like this since January. Meanwhile the building is nearly complete.

p5

Do they need to close down a stretch of tracks? Maybe they're running into issues in that regard. Perhaps waiting till the northerly most tracks are temporarily closed anyway from the shed construction? Just speculating.

Very elegant composition overall. The podium provides a perfect contextual form to blend into the market district, while the balcony arrangements flow in such rhythmic fashion.

any word on when they are going to clad the portion of the base facing the tracks? it has been sitting there for months and months. are they running into problems with construction staging or something?

Back