Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

If building doesn't provide, will the tenants be allowed to bring some in?
I'm sure trees are allowed, but to get ones the size as shown in the rendering, you'd need a lot of space for it to take root, and probably lots of soil, and a good watering system. None of those requirements exist now.

There already are trees on some of the terraces there. Generally, the building wouldn't build a garden for a unit owner. You have to do that yourself.

The real question: do trees really belong on balconies? (There's a reason the higher up you go on a mountain the less trees you see.) Trees attract bugs, birds and generally above a certain height--10s?--don't make much sense.

Yes, there is a reason - but it has nothing to do with that.

Usually the higher up a mountain you go the stronger the wind and the rockier the soil. This is not a factor of altitude, but is related to the shape of the mountain.

If you provide enough soil stability you'll get your trees, your bugs, and your birds at 100 stories if you like.

832702.jpg

We're not building balconies at 20000ft yet, so I don't see the issue. I think we'll see more and more trees in buildings, and that's great.

YES! More trees and green in balconies and terraces, please. And what does this not "natural" argument mean exactly haha? That made me laugh. Most landscaping in people's front yards and backyards in ground-oriented housing was placed there at some point by a human being. Not very "natural" when you think about it. I fully support and promote above-ground gardening. Above 40 stories gets a bit trickier with wind but there are lots of plants that thrive.

And...great pics Zach. Love Market Wharf.

Thanks Zach.

Does anyone know if they're going to clad the portion of the podium facing the tracks in brick eventually? It looks terrible.
If you go and look at it the bricks on both east and west walls end at the south wall in a pattern to accept new bricks so, YES.
I bet they need to sort out timing with GO as you clearly can't have people able to walk onto the tracks and that when it warms up they will get to it and do it as fast as possible.

The greater issue with gardens on higher floors is the wind. It dries everything out. Even at the 10th floor, the climate is more like high desert. So you either go with plants that are very drought resistant, or make a serious commitment to watering.

I agree that wind can be a factor, like I mentioned above. I just don't want people to be discouraged from above-ground gardening because of wind or other apparent factors. As for over-watering, I wouldn't be buying any pre-planted containers as sold at grocery stores or nurseries. These are not designed for balconies and you will be at their beck-and-call for survival.

If you have an appropriate container, you certainly don't need to water all the time. Plants need to search for water and grow their root system for times of drought. Over-watering will create weak plants that basically live on the surface...you can tell this if you try to pull them out and they are still existing in their little rootballs. A good garden design will be easy to maintain. I really hope that more and more condo dwellers maximize their outdoor space :cool: And Market Wharf has some amazing balconies to green up!!

Those first two photos by ZachBalbino are just wonderful, with L Tower and Market Wharf in the same photo. With so much crap around (along with good buildings too) shots like this make me feel so much better.

Back