Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

Amazing update :) I love this progression of the typical aA design. The curves are restrained yet effective and interesting :)

Indeed - aA doesn't just resort to "cheap trick" easy-sell curves like some common-or-garden architects we might name, but to a better class of curve all round, more thoughtful and engaging - like Gehry does with his AGO Dundas frontage, and like Yansong Ma does with his "Marilyn" tower.

Indeed - aA doesn't just resort to "cheap trick" easy-sell curves like some common-or-garden architects we might name, but to a better class of curve all round, more thoughtful and engaging - like Gehry does with his AGO Dundas frontage, and like Yansong Ma does with his "Marilyn" tower.

There is absolutely no way you can compare these aA curves to Gehry and Ma.. Yes they are refined and good but we're talking about 2 of the top 10 projects in the GTA here. That would be like comparing John Mayer to B.B. King because they both use the blues scale. One is good, but doesn't compare to the best.

I dunno.. am I the only one who really doesn't like Gehry's AGO Dundas St/front entrance reno? It bores me!

You're not the only one. I don't " dislike " the entrance as much as I feel something is missing in it, a sense of occasion maybe. I think a lot of people want the AGO to succeed in counterpoint to the percieved sterility of the ROM. The entrances to both cultural palaces remind me of secondary openings of malls.

mwn6.jpg

I think androiduk's fine picture shows the collective effect that a brick podium with irregularly-spaced windows, with a couple of floors above it in various tones of glass that's set at a jaunty angle, all topped by a tower with curvy balconies can have, when done well, rather nicely. It is a lively but not cluttered show, with each element adding something to the total effect. As a statement of ensemble design, I'd put this alongside the various elements ( blue titanium box, spiral staircases that emerge from it, curved Dundas facade ... ) at Gehry's AGO any day.

In Market Wharf we see a building with panache that also fits in nicely with its surroundings. The angle of the glass hat and the wavy balconies are pure spectacle, to be sure, and nothing wrong with that! A++

As far as I'm concerned this is Clewes' best work to date. In my view, it also meets the street better than aA's previous projects.

Here's hoping it makes Wallman, Teeple, and KPMB all raise their games.....

The balcony curves are much more fluid than the renders led me to believe, and look absolutely fantastic. I'll second (third, fourth) the sentiment that this is one of aA's finest buildings to date.

Back