Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Uh yeah, like I said in the bit of mine you quoted...

The floor plans found inside the galleria also show 'Restaurant' for another smaller second floor space across the hall from Real Sports... so maybe that will be a walk-up fast food style counter.

Uh yeah, like I said in the bit of mine you quoted...

Your right, my mistake. Not sure why I chose your post to quote, however I just wanted to express that there are a handfull of units still unoccupied in the building that could be filled with any number of uses.

I'm not sure why everyone is expecting this to be a "mall" or have a vast number of retail spaces. I think what's there serves the development just fine. The office portion is probably to small to justify a full out food court especially given the amenities available in Telus, (future) ICE, 18 York and Union (with expanded retail area) all within in walking distance in the path network. The restaurants/Bar will serve the Hotel portion well. Longos will serve the residents and a good portion of the lunch hour needs of the office tower. So aside from a coffee shop and maybe a convenience store I don't know of any other retail use the building needs.

FWIW I wonder if the 2'nd floor restaurant space will be a Tim Hortons, I don't think there is one nearby other than the one at Front and York.

I don't think anyone has said this is a mall. If you noticed, I put the word in quotation marks in my post.

What makes this project, and its uses, particularly 'mall-like' is the fact that one has to enter this building for almost all its uses (the store, the supermarket, the restaurants, the hotel) and none of these uses, except for maybe the hotel, have an independant street entry. This building appears to be about internalizing its (few) attractions, and adding little to the street or area.

Some forumers have argued that the plaza outside MLS, the ACC and Telus is horrifically empty and sterile. In any other location I would agree. There should be more trees, benches, art, etc... However, let's remember when or if the Leafs and Raptors return to the playoffs, this empty plaza will be a prime location for hundreds of people to gather and go absolutely bonkers.

here is another picture of the nice new planters and trees that now reside on Bremner:

4643171852_873031ff7f_b.jpg

I don't think anyone has said this is a mall. If you noticed, I put the word in quotation marks in my post.

What makes this project, and its uses, particularly 'mall-like' is the fact that one has to enter this building for almost all its uses (the store, the supermarket, the restaurants, the hotel) and none of these uses, except for maybe the hotel, have an independant street entry. This building appears to be about internalizing its (few) attractions, and adding little to the street or area.

I fail to see how it's any different than the Yonge St side of 10 Dundas E/Toronto Life Square/Metropolis/Whatever. Which you might not agree but I think works well

Link to an old floorplan layout:
The apparal store is located in the North-East (top right) unit on the main floor and has direct street access.
The fine dining restaurant will be in the North-West (top left) unit on the main floor will/should have direct street access
TD will be in the South-West (lower left) unit on the main floor and will/should have direct street access
The sports bar will be in the South East (lower right) unit on the first two floors and looks like it will have direct street access
That leaves one small retail space on the main floor (newsstand?) that won't have street access, and two spaces on the second floor (if you count the triangular "restaurant" across from the Sports bar that has been previously discussed)
Longos will be in the lower level so it can't really have street access

add in two access points for the condos, one for the hotel, and two general entrances to the complex and you've got a lot of on street access. While I agree that the real "grand" entrances to each space are inside the complex it hardly has turned it's back on the street. Just give it time until the retail tenents have settled in.

May 25 2010 update

from the Gardiner ...

MLS Towers have great massing, with poorly executed facades IMO
Click to Enlarge

Maple Leaf Square as part of the new 'Lower York' cluster
IMG_5151.jpg

Last edited:
The street level seems to suffer from modern building syndrome - one flat glass facade with no articulation. Traditional retail strips tend to have their street levels broken up so that the scenery changes every few steps, even with large retail tenants in high rise buildings. A very common feature in older retail streetscapes is doors that are inset in an alcove. This maximizes window display space and works wonders to make buildings more interesting to walk by. You can find that kind of thing not only on Queen West but on streets like Yonge and Bay. Some vertical design features to break up the flat glass would also improve the streetscape - the Bay on Queen has the kind of thing I'm talking about, even though their window displays suck. That said, MLS can still have an engaging streetscape if the stores take full advantage of their window space. I like that all the units have doors to the street, and the street trees look great.

The street level seems to suffer from modern building syndrome - one flat glass facade with no articulation. Traditional retail strips tend to have their street levels broken up so that the scenery changes every few steps, even with large retail tenants in high rise buildings. A very common feature in older retail streetscapes is doors that are inset in an alcove. This maximizes window display space and works wonders to make buildings more interesting to walk by. You can find that kind of thing not only on Queen West but on streets like Yonge and Bay.

It's true! Interesting essay here:

http://www.opencityprojects.com/theblog/2010/05/01/torontos-twenty-foot-rhythm/

I love MLS's interiors! They're just so awesome!.. but they look very office like (in the sense that their open, and bare)... but cool nonetheless :D

great video...I actually don't mind the interiors. I don't really like the black paneling on the hotel...looks cheapish.

Back