Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Judging from the photos and some of the 3D modelling shots of Ice Condos, I'm still not sure how the Ice project will block the western views of the two towers.
For the North Tower, I'd think that the height of the future office tower at Ice might block the west view at least until the 40th floor. For the South Tower, will Ice's Phase 1 and 2 both block the west view?

The main problem with this area is it's boring! No where exciting within a 30 minute walk other than the SLM area, which is rather restrictive. Contrast that to my area, and I have the Junction, Bloor West Village, Roncevalles, Bloor and Lansdowne, Perth/Wallace, St Clair, or Parkdale to chose from.

You have major league venues which also become music venues, the convention centre, southern Spadina, Yonge, SLM, and the ferry docks a short walk away. The eastern downtown waterfront has potential too. The Raptors and Leafs will make the playoffs eventually, and you'll be able to experience the rush right outside your door.

Agreed, this area is very sterile but it is also a construction site. Also, it has been built all at once, unlike Bloor West or the other nodes mentioned. It is like comparing the resume of a 2 year old to that of a 60 year old. There just is no comparison.

This area has the most potential to develop into a solid extension of the CBD as it seems to have been treated with the most respect by the developers compared to, say, other instant neighbourhoods like City Place or Lakeshore/Bathurst.

The entire area is still under construction and Telus is the only building that is actually occupied. The area is guaranteed to liven up once it's fully built up and flooded with business people and residents.

Get serious guys....

I agree with urbandreamer. All those event nights and concerts are a once in a while thing. No one who lives in this area is going to do everything you mentioned on a daily basis. That would be ridiculous. Those are "Events" for a reason. On a day to day basis, just living and shopping and meeting friends is what we all NORMALLY do and for those things, this area is lacking.

How many concerts, hockey games, auto shows and the like can you really take in a week, let alone for the next ten years?

:confused:

Your point is taken Traynor, but comparing York/Bremner to well established, dynamic neighbourhoods is simply not possible. This area offers proximity to work and a highway. It offers proximity to events but that's the draw.

My point is that it is way too early to write off the area and it will never be the right time to compare it to Bloor West. It should be compared to something more appropriate - another instant, one-development cycle instant-neighbourhood. There's a cliche about comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Likening MLS to some place like Roncevalles or Bloor/Lansdowne is like comparing apples to car batteries.

^ Sorry, I meant to say it was that way right now and perhaps for the next few years. I didn't mean to sound like I was writing the area off.

Caltrane: the honies on Roncevalles are much better looking than the shallow tattooed freaks one finds at importfests.... Although sure, it's probably a nice place to check out cuties in little mini skirts.:D I like to walk everywhere, so I find this MLS area rather dull. I like to window shop rather than spend my money at generic sports bars. I am not a huge sports fan--I'll watch the last period of the Stanley Cup game on tv, but that's about it. Conventions--also boring.

Where I live--I have all my local attractions plus a mere 30 minute subway ride to Union Stn. Living at MLS, many are probably working on Bay St and too lazy to explore the areas I love on foot.

Of course we're comparing Apples to Macs here. I'd rather eat an Apple than live in shiny new box in PC land. :p

Once the area is all built out, there will be enough development to create a self-sustain space for residents of Ice, MLS, Grand Trunk and the future Fairmont development to hang out (like Liberty Village). There wouldn't be a need to go 30 minutes away from the area to live / go to work / have fun.
Non-residents can already enjoy the area via concerts / sports games / shopping at Leons / convention centre. There are plans to create a better experience at the Queen's Quay terminal area and CN tower via an aquarium. For residents, I wouldn't think they would want the area to be happening 24/7. This is not the entertainment district.

If success of the area is only determined by pedestrian traffic flow outside of events and sports games, perhaps other projects should be considered (TTC / CN/CP Rail museum at the Roundhouse site, bowling alley, night time flea market (in the Queen's Quay area), etc..

... I find this MLS area rather dull. I like to window shop rather than spend my money at generic sports bars. I am not a huge sports fan--I'll watch the last period of the Stanley Cup game on tv, but that's about it. Conventions--also boring.

Where I live--I have all my local attractions plus a mere 30 minute subway ride to Union Stn.

Why even bother taking the subway and going downtown, stay in the Bloor village... you can have more fun there.

Lots of very urban, established areas exist near expressways, and are very often somewhat cut off by them.

The problem with this area will be its modernist design-- hopefully not every development is treated as a megablock-- I feel that can become quite problematic. On the other hand, so far they've done a nice job-- let's wait and see-- the area could go many different ways. So far I think most people are happy with the urban design here, though a proper "neighbourhood" feel could be better encouraged by having large planters and trees.

I'd like to see more brown and orange brick on the podiums of this area, and more street level retail spaces seeking unique and diverse restos and businesses (that is, not just the typical brand name stuff found on many new new condo podiums).

I think we're holding the neighbourhood to a higher standard than it deserves. Let's not forget that this area is intended to be an expansion of the business district, and the amount of office space going up there reflects that. Outside of working hours King & Bay isn't an especially lively area and I wouldn't expect too much difference here, aside from the periodic flood of pedestrians from sporting events and concerts.

I think we're holding the neighbourhood to a higher standard than it deserves. Let's not forget that this area is intended to be an expansion of the business district, and the amount of office space going up there reflects that. Outside of working hours King & Bay isn't an especially lively area and I wouldn't expect too much difference here, aside from the periodic flood of pedestrians from sporting events and concerts.

I would agree with the exception of the word "periodic".....the ACC is one of the most heavily booked arenas in North America.....it is not very "periodic"...particualry in the fall/winter/spring....the combination of the Leafs, Raptors, Rock and Concerts keeps this arena and the area buzzing.

March 2010, as an example, had 21 dates booked and 10 empty. Probably the quietest months will be April and May....those are months where they have to leave a lot of dates open for the playoffs (NBA and NHL) so they can't book gigs.....but if the teams don't make the playoffs then the building stays quiet.

Last edited:

Back