Toronto Manulife Centre Podium and Streetscape Renewal | 9.75m | 2s | Manulife Real Estate | MdeAS Architects

Eataly & McEwan are the end of Pusateris at Yorkville & Bay. The area will continue to need a basic grocer however, and I thnk there's enough density to support them all.

Possibly, though I believe BSM is just a specially-branded Valu-Mart, which are franchised and not Loblaws proper.
It is. Pro tip...even though BSM doesn't have a flyer, their specials are always identical to the specials in the Valu-Mart flyer.

It is. Pro tip...even though BSM doesn't have a flyer, their specials are always identical to the specials in the Valu-Mart flyer.
In my experience, it's not always true. I've found BSM charging full price for stuff listed on sale in the Valu-Mart flyer. But for the most part, it does follow suit.

I think the rent will be what will do BSM in eventually, not competition with Eataly or McEwan.

AoD
It's entirely possible. It would be a major problem for many elderly people who live in the building, and who are barely mobile - but enough to be able to shop for groceries by themselves or with an assistant. Some of them might not be computer-proficient enough to use Grocery Gateway.

Today.
IMG_5563.JPG
IMG_5564.JPG
IMG_5565.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5563.JPG
    IMG_5563.JPG
    981.6 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_5564.JPG
    IMG_5564.JPG
    978 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_5565.JPG
    IMG_5565.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 251
That side of the mall definitely needs a change. Whether this one is better is debatable, but what currently exists on the Balmuto side is terrible. One has to travel halfway down a block of dark concrete to find either of the two entrances (neither of which is on street level), but not before passing a pseudo-entrance, ventilation grates and a line of smokers standing in front of cineplex posters too far away from the street to truly be readable.

Balmuto Street had potential until the two bland condos came along on the east side. There were some little restos and stores along that stretch but now blah. I hope this renewal of the west side will enhance the streetscape rather than further debase it.

Not wasting any time on the demo.
Comments above perfectly captures the current problems with both sides of Balmuto. Any change can only be an improvement. Maybe that apartment on the South/East will remove its permanent dumpster?

Today.
IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5761.JPG
IMG_5762.JPG
IMG_5763.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5760.JPG
    IMG_5760.JPG
    919.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_5761.JPG
    IMG_5761.JPG
    783.3 KB · Views: 240