Toronto Malibu Harbourfront Condo | ?m | 32s | Malibu Investments | P + S / IBI

Nice. And thanks for the photo (about 1000 times better than the empty lot that exists now).

Malibu Progress Jan 18, 2008

I didn't realize the glass was going to look exactly like the two finished condos next to the CNE... (Splash?) I hope we start seeing some new colour tints along this stretch.

DSCN1869.jpg

DSCN1871.jpg

Are the doors to the balcony going to stay white? It looks like a cheap mistake...

DSCN1873.jpg

I didn't realize the glass was going to look exactly like the two finished condos next to the CNE... (Splash?) I hope we start seeing some new colour tints along this stretch.

ACME GlassCo. must have had yet another fire-sale clearance on green condo glass "perfectly suited for the Toronto market" haha. I think they might be branching out into grey glass now for Cityplace/Murano/Distillery - just to spice things up a bit.

I remember when I moved here and saw the Matrix buildings at Cityplace. I thought, "Why can't we have more curved, green-glass condos like they have in Vancouver?" I no longer feel this way. We if keep going, we will have fully out-Vancouvered Vancouver. The gradual switch to boxy "Toronto-style" buildings has been refreshing for me.

Whoever has the white balcony door concession in this city must be very rich.

Malibu Progress Feb 21, 2008

I really, really love how the base works with the tower. Although there's something so suburban and generic about this one, I still love it anyways. It almost feels like it should be going up next to Sherway Gardens.

And those white balcony doors are, in fact, being painted to match the building.

(It seems strange that they would do that after they were installed, no?)

Sorry if all of these pics slow down your computer, but I just couldn't edit any more out (and I prefer the larger size pics).

DSCN2154.jpg

DSCN2156.jpg

DSCN2157.jpg

DSCN2158.jpg

DSCN2159.jpg

DSCN2160.jpg

DSCN2162.jpg

I really, really love how the base works with the tower. Although there's something so suburban and generic about this one, I still love it anyways. It almost feels like it should be going up next to Sherway Gardens.

Nice photos, thanks!

Although I think that Toronto must be the only city in North America where a building of this type could possibly be considered "suburban". The suburbs in most cities consist for the most part of endless expanses of single-family tract housing, with the occasional mid-rise. Toronto is (as far as I know) unique in having thousands of 15 to 35 storey residential buildings scattered over the entire city.

Bill

Wow

I think this building has turned out very nice and a lot better than I expected from seeing the renderings. It may not be totally unique but it really commands that corner and looks very impressive when approaching that corner of bathurst. If only it had lights or something to that effect on top of it. :D

Nice photos, thanks!

Although I think that Toronto must be the only city in North America where a building of this type could possibly be considered "suburban". The suburbs in most cities consist for the most part of endless expanses of single-family tract housing, with the occasional mid-rise. Toronto is (as far as I know) unique in having thousands of 15 to 35 storey residential buildings scattered over the entire city.

Bill

indeed - thats one thing that I often try to describe when pointing out the differences between our city and American ones... Canadian cities in general are much more homogenously mixed as opposed to segregated along socio-economic lines, a big plus in my opinion. And the intensified use of the land is smart development, though we can still do much better... blows away places like Houston that have 3-4 times Toronto's footprint.

I agree with a lot of the already stated comments. A MET blue would have been ideal here. I hope the next phase of infill in this area supports greater diversity in colours and materials.

The base is suprisingly strong, too. It is massive and looks like a new take on the 30's style warehouses that used to dominate this part of the city. The concrete/stone mixes well with the other materials and doesn't look exceedingly cheap (unlike, lets say, ROCP). That said, more attention to detail and the addition of some frills to this base could have gone a long way to knocking it out of the park. For example, the base could incorporated some of the elements from the N/E corner of Bathurst/Lakeshore (seen in the photo).

Thanks for the photos.

Back