Toronto M5V Condominiums | 118.87m | 35s | Lifetime | Core Architects

I like the King St face, and podium, but the rest of the building looks like a typical CityPlace spandrel disaster.

It's nice glass, too. Really too bad :(

The corregated red metal cladding finally makes its appearance today:
m5v_001.jpg

Just like my prediction, the red panels extends above the mechanical floor which forms the railings for the balcony above.

The taller of Forest hill Towers really would be more comparable / similar to CASA in terms of desgin & geometry if you ask me ~

in my mind ... the east and west faces of M5V is just a typical modern glass tower, while the north and south faces are quite interesting

Oh, for sure, it is quite reminiscent of CASA. The west face of M5V shares some very strong similarities with 135 Antibes (the taller one) however. On the contrary I find the south face to be the least interesting, though I like its north/south profile; reminds me of Boutique. The north facade is definitely the best, with the chunky podium, glass fin and coloured panels scattered throughout. Also, I'm excited to see the red finish! Sure it's not exactly as planned, but I already like how it'll extend upwards and become part of the balcony cover.

The Forest Hills are stunning buildings, just some of the unique architecture found in Toronto's suburbs. Though they're shorter, they look better than Casa, especially with the slight angle to the balconies. It's a subtle detail, but it makes the buildings look more polished. The new aA high-rise in the Distillery District is supposed to have similar balconies.

Yeah, I suppose I should correct myself and say that Casa is reminiscent of Forest Hills, seeing as they predate Casa by nearly 40 years.

I noticed the red panels too. They are not flat either; have ripple effect. Should be interesting how this one will turn out. And it appears that the red panels will be two-storeys high.

Oct 1 2010 update

glad to see the red (metal siding?) finally appear ...

photo that I never got around to posting previously ~

M5V's lonely by itself
IMG_5050.jpg

Here's a pic from today. How do you post the pics so they show up directly on the screen as opposed to attachments? This is taken from my office window, so I've had a front row seat watching it go up, and I'll have an even closer vantage point when Charlie goes up (and it will totally block my remaining view of the CN tower).

Attachments

• New Image-2.jpg
    New Image-2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 246
Upload the image to a hosting service, like imageshack.us or photobucket, then surround the link to the image using the IMG tags, like this:

[noparse]
[/noparse]

Last edited:
alternately, above the reply box there is an icon that looks like a picture of a tree - click on it to insert an image using the image's url.

Back