Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

Urban canyon on a gorgeous summer day..

MTO use the bath tub design for a lot of their steel bridges using cortan steel. The new bridges being built over the 400 at this time are precast as well over the 401. They are using steel beams for the new off ramp eastbound for Weston Rd.

When you drive toward Pearson T1 you can see all the recent type of supports in 30 seconds. Bathtub and I-beam corten steel (with it painted near the joints) as well as concrete. They give you a good understanding of what the ramp will look like.

After a lot of concerns that they were not working 24-7 on the demo phase of this project it seems they have slowed to a snails pace. A really wet June probably didn't help, but not much has really changed in about a month now (except for our lovely steel). Still a lot of work to do, and not a lot of it is really "noisy" - they should be progressing better than this.

It's the roadwork on Harbour that needs to be done first. There's no point in them worrying about a ramp that has nothing to connect to

Reactions: DSC
It's the roadwork on Harbour that needs to be done first. There's no point in them worrying about a ramp that has nothing to connect to
My point is that the entire project has slowed not just the ramp. I pass this area daily and have not been impressed of late

My point is that the entire project has slowed not just the ramp. I pass this area daily and have not been impressed of late
I have to agree somewhat related to Harbour St.

Crews for Harbour Residences where working on the sidewalk and road last week that has an impact on what can take place for this project work in this area somewhat. There is nothing stopping work to be done for the road between York and Simcoe.

About 40% of the form work is in place on the new ramp to pour the new road slab on it and will not happen until all of it is done. Should be Aug to see concrete pour.

I am a little lost as what is to take place from the last bents to the retailing wall for the ramp since there is no retaining walls or bents to support the ramp since nothing is there now. Other than backfilling the area not sure what is plan, considering there is a concrete base between the last bent and small retaining wall. Other than special support system like Bath Tub or girders sitting on a square box on the east side of the last bent being ready for concrete to be pour this week no idea what is plan for that missing area.

Could be waiting for the final designs drawings which is a little late at this point of time.

I pass by the project daily. With the exception of the ramp, hardly anything got done since the demo finished a month ago. Nothing stopping them on starting the work on widening Harbour St now. In fact, entire street could've been widened in a couple of months. It could've been opened ahead of the ramp opening. But nothing gets done in this city efficiently. All we hear are just excuses. This city is being held hostage by the construction companies.

I pass by the project daily. With the exception of the ramp, hardly anything got done since the demo finished a month ago. Nothing stopping them on starting the work on widening Harbour St now. In fact, entire street could've been widened in a couple of months. It could've been opened ahead of the ramp opening. But nothing gets done in this city efficiently. All we hear are just excuses. This city is being held hostage by the construction companies.

The contract has late penalties attached.

AoD

Wow that ramp looks steep, I wonder what the speed limit on it will be.

Hope trucks have some good brakes, especially when it gets wet / icy!

The ramp will have a built-in system to prevent ice buildup.

If there isn't activity, it's because the next task is not ready to start. Maybe they are waiting for material or they are following the designed schedule. I know the demo finished early, so the next stage was probably not ready to go. It could be another contractor or simply other commitments or it is a planned schedule. It is not supposed to be finished before next year. Finishing a stage early doesn't mean the next stage can start sooner. It's not some sort of conspiracy.

If there isn't activity, it's because the next task is not ready to start. Maybe they are waiting for material or they are following the designed schedule. I know the demo finished early, so the next stage was probably not ready to go. It could be another contractor or simply other commitments or it is a planned schedule. It is not supposed to be finished before next year. Finishing a stage early doesn't mean the next stage can start sooner. It's not some sort of conspiracy.
They had several months to make arrangements. If they are not ready to start because they are waiting for materials or trades , they are poor planners. You just provided me with a laundry list of excuses commonly used in Toronto. I never said anything about conspiracy. As I said in my original post: "All we hear are just excuses". You just provided me with them... Excuses, and lack of action.

Back