Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

Will they spray those I-Beams green? Or leave like that? What's the steepest you can make a road? I'm trying to think what the steepest road in the city is.

Will they spray those I-Beams green? Or leave like that? What's the steepest you can make a road? I'm trying to think what the steepest road in the city is.

Hopefully green, or red, or something funky. That area is drab as all hell, and the City seems content on keeping it that way. As for the steepest road in the city, I put my vote on Redway behind the Loblaws. It's no joke.

Pardon me if I misunderstood you, but you are suggesting the effectiveness of an off-ramp is entirely dependant on the amount of storage capacity it has?
Here I was thinking that we should be focused on the amount of vehicles that can actually get off of the ramp in a given traffic cycle, oy vey.

It depends on the capacity and delay at the intersection downstream, but the resulting queues and impacts to through traffic will depend on a mixture of the Level of Service at the intersection downstream and the storage capacity of the off-ramp.

This change will have a permanent effect on the eastbound traffic as it backs up to the top of the ramp for this very reason.

I'm not arguing that, sometimes no matter how long you build an off-ramp it will always be operating over capacity. What I was arguing was that just because something is longer than 300-400m doesn't mean it's being overbuilt.

Hopefully green, or red, or something funky. That area is drab as all hell, and the City seems content on keeping it that way. As for the steepest road in the city, I put my vote on Redway behind the Loblaws. It's no joke.

To be fair, that is a "use at own risk" road that hardly anyone has a valid reason to use.

York Mills is probably one of the steepest. Between York Ridge and Old Yonge it's a >10% grade.

June 26
I could be wrong, but the beams are corten

For the person who only works a few blocks away from the site. Wooden form work being place between the beams to support the new concrete deck road.

35523136596_12069202a4_k.jpg

35394054002_e801e086c3_k.jpg

35175275480_62f3f5f14f_k.jpg

35523131836_b53be975d2_k.jpg

June 26
I could be wrong, but the beams are corten
Yes Corten (or generically Atmospheric Corrosion Resistant, ACR, Steel).

They paint the ends at expansion joints because that is a higher moisture area that would otherwise still rust.

Wait, so it'll just stay rusty like that? I think that works well as a design or architecture feature on buildings or sculptures. But underneath a highway wouldn't it give the appearance of poor maintenance? Why not simply paint it orangey-red?

Wait, so it'll just stay rusty like that? I think that works well as a design or architecture feature on buildings or sculptures. But underneath a highway wouldn't it give the appearance of poor maintenance? Why not simply paint it orangey-red?
It is also a cost saving and not having to close traffic lanes to paint the beams over time. From an environment point of view, having corten on bridges going over water is the best option as it stops having paint flaking off and falling into the water way.

Only a few people will notice the none painted structure and think anything of it since most are looking at the road ahead of them in the first place and trying to get where they want to go in the first place.

MTO has done their bridges that way for years now, at least when they use steel and not tensioned concrete. I prefer it.

MTO has done their bridges that way for years now, at least when they use steel and not tensioned concrete. I prefer it.
MTO use the bath tub design for a lot of their steel bridges using cortan steel. The new bridges being built over the 400 at this time are precast as well over the 401. They are using steel beams for the new off ramp eastbound for Weston Rd.

Back