Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

The original city notice (when the y/b/y ramp was closed in Jan) said it would be done by Nov. 2017, but that date was scrubbed shortly after and no update was given
There have been MANY Construction Bulletins and all are still on City Website at https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...munities/ward-profiles/ward-profiles-ward-28/

In May 2016 (Notice #1) it said:

simc1.JPG

They have said this consistently as far as I can see.

Attachments

• simc1.JPG
    simc1.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 343
Ahh, that lot just west of Rees is finally up for development. Great news. It's a bit of a scourge on this area right now.

Redevelopment in the sense that it will be put to better use, yes, but it's going to be a park rather than a for-profit development site; thread here.

Redevelopment in the sense that it will be put to better use, yes, but it's going to be a park rather than a for-profit development site; thread here.
Hah, yep, I know. That's all I meant. I'm pretty sure there is a building restriction here so nothing can block the view of the SkyDome from the water.

Hah, yep, I know. That's all I meant. I'm pretty sure there is a building restriction here so nothing can block the view of the SkyDome from the water.
You said that before (August 2016) but I have never seen any evidence for it. However, it's not an issue as the land has been planned for a park for many years.

3af7c076-cf5f-40d5-82ce-83b6800d3581.jpg

We want to hear from you!

Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto are hosting a community consultation to share information and collect public feedback on two new waterfront parks to be designed at York Street and Rees Street on the north side of Queens Quay West.

Join local Councillors Joe Cressy (Ward 20) and Lucy Troisi (Ward 28) and the project team members from Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto for brief presentations at 7:00 p.m.

Public Meeting Details

Date: Monday, January 22, 2018
Time: Drop-in Hours - 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. / Presentations - 7:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.
Location: 235 Queens Quay West, Toronto, ON M5J 2G8 at Harbourfront Centre in the Brigantine Room/Marilyn Brewer Community Space (major intersection is Queens Quay West and Lower Simcoe Street)
Map: Click here
Transit: Closest TTC subway station is Union Station. Take the 509 Harbourfront streetcar or the 510 Spadina streetcar to Harbourfront Centre. Walk west on the south side of Queens Quay to Harbourfront Centre at Lower Simcoe Street. Please use the TTC trip planner for additional options.

Drop-in hours from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. will offer a variety of facilitated activities to provide the opportunity for you to share your ideas and aspirations for making these two new park spaces spectacular, unique and full of new year-round experiences.

If you are unable to attend this community consultation, please consider sharing your feedback through this brief survey called “How to Make a Great Park.”

Complete the survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/york-rees-1

For more information, please contact info@waterfrontoronto.ca.

Why are two more parks required in a space with so many great parks already? I'm not against parks, but there are parts of the city where a dog can't go pee. The waterfront residents are truly lucky.

Why are two more parks required in a space with so many great parks already? I'm not against parks, but there are parts of the city where a dog can't go pee. The waterfront residents are truly lucky.

For a bunch of reasons, we shouldn't think about demand for parkland solely in terms of the amount of it divided by the number of residents in the area; seems that notion is an unfortunate offshoot of the rationale the City (and others) have been touting for RDP.

I think both these sites are great spots for new parkland, especially the York street parcel.

Reactions: DSC
Both parks ideas have been around since 2007 when we started the QQW EA.

Until when the York Ramp came down, it was a pie sky idea. The local BIA were very strong in supporting these parks as well calling for the removal of the ramp and parking lot of all things. Even West 8 wanted them gone as well adding more green to the north south streets.

The first idea that was floated for Rees site was to having parking underground and able to hold tourist buses as well, but was quickly shot down, as there was a plan underway to deal with the buses in other location as well having a central office dealing with the various lines. It was felt that having more parking there would only impede the traffic more on QQ, like it does for Blue Jay games and special events. Have seen that in action a number of times for not only these events, but when nothing is happening there in the first place.

Since the condos cover the waterfront land in the first place that should be green space, have to find land nearby for more green space. By the way, where do children that live in this area "PLAY"??

The other thing to note about the demand for both of these future parks is that the nearby public spaces (that detractors of additional park space point to as reason not to build these new spaces) are at or over capacity most weekends in the summer; it's basically standing room only in HtO anytime there's something going on (which is most summer weekends), and we all know how crowded the MGT/wave decks are along this stretch.

The other thing to note about the demand for both of these future parks is that the nearby public spaces (that detractors of additional park space point to as reason not to build these new spaces) are at or over capacity most weekends in the summer; it's basically standing room only in HtO anytime there's something going on (which is most summer weekends), and we all know how crowded the MGT/wave decks are along this stretch.

The problem with the parks along the waterfront is that they're designed in a piecemeal fashion in a setting that doesn't lend well to that kind of fine-grained interpretation - and it translates into lacks a coherence, much less a sense of grandeur. The QQW redo is supposed to tie it all in, but functionally and materially there is still something not quite right about the individual public spaces. Like instead of a single HtO beach, shouldn't that aspect of the waterfront public space be made into a given along the entire stretch where possible since we know it is a popular element that encourages interaction with the water?

AoD

Back