Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

P1000966.JPG
Ramp is down at the future park (Queens Quay & York)

Attachments

• P1000967.JPG
    P1000967.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 374
  • P1000966.JPG
    P1000966.JPG
    447.3 KB · Views: 332
Of course, this park has been confirmed to be a city managed project, not waterfront Toronto. I don't have much hope for the design of this park.

The City were in charge of the recent great design (and execution) of Park restoration projects at both Grange Park and Berczy Park so I think you are being a tad unfair. The City seems well able to design great parks, they are less good at maintaining them.

Good points. If Cormier designs this, I'd drop my cynicism pretty fast. If anything, the one thing missing on waterfront is water. A large fountain would be very welcome here. HTO Park North is another opportunity to allow waterfront visitors to interact with actual water. Something like Chicago's Crown Fountain would fit perfectly there. This park is a much smaller space so a fountain would suit it well.

They kept all the bents. Of course, this park has been confirmed to be a city managed project, not waterfront Toronto. I don't have much hope for the design of this park.
If Waterfront Toronto was in charge we would end up with a concrete section of land with some bizarre sculpture in it, like the other park they designed further down Queens Quay. Personally I hope it's mostly grass as that isn't enough of it down there. Maybe they could turn the bets into a water feature though.

Good points. If Cormier designs this, I'd drop my cynicism pretty fast. If anything, the one thing missing on waterfront is water.
We do have Sherbourne Common's fairly elaborate water feature, and the more classic look of Exhibition Place's Rose Garden, but those should really only be the bookends.

Toronto's Stonehenge?

I think some kind of a large gazebo with a stage for events would be nice to have here.

If Waterfront Toronto was in charge we would end up with a concrete section of land with some bizarre sculpture in it, like the other park they designed further down Queens Quay. Personally I hope it's mostly grass as that isn't enough of it down there. Maybe they could turn the bets into a water feature though.

I hope that at least by the RBC bldg there is room for a bunch of lunchtime seating. There are a lot of employees down in this area now (RBC, Sun, etc) and they could naturally congregate there at lunch time. Overall it will be difficult to differentiate this park in a way that makes it unique from the others in the area (and negates the roads on 3 sides).

A busker stage (impromptu and programmed) may be a good idea. Would bring people in from the sidewalk to the park. And would give buskers a good spot to earn some money in the summer. Plus a low cost for the city (have a part-time coordinator who first schedules the good buskers at prime time and then a first-come first-serve basis for the off-prime spots). Real buskers (eat what you earn) not the ones that demand a salary for performing. To develop the talent in this city.

Huh? Didn't WT deliver some or all of Sherbourne Common, Corktown Common, Sugar Beach, Underpass Park, and the wave decks? Those are all thoroughly excellent.

I really hope saving those mature trees is a top priority for the new park.

I don't think you will have to worry. It looks like they had to set up a protection zone between the trees and construction (inner ring of fencing), so they are likely staying put.

Photo dump from yesterday:
DSC_0751.jpg
DSC_0753.jpg
DSC_0747.jpg
DSC_0745.jpg
DSC_0746.jpg
DSC_0744.jpg
DSC_0767.jpg
DSC_0769.jpg
DSC_0759.jpg
DSC_0750.jpg
DSC_0756.jpg
DSC_0760.jpg
DSC_0749.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0751.jpg
    DSC_0751.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 320
  • DSC_0753.jpg
    DSC_0753.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 312
  • DSC_0747.jpg
    DSC_0747.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 301
  • DSC_0746.jpg
    DSC_0746.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 322
  • DSC_0745.jpg
    DSC_0745.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 288
  • DSC_0744.jpg
    DSC_0744.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 303
  • DSC_0767.jpg
    DSC_0767.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 323
  • DSC_0769.jpg
    DSC_0769.jpg
    978.2 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC_0759.jpg
    DSC_0759.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 297
  • DSC_0750.jpg
    DSC_0750.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 317
  • DSC_0756.jpg
    DSC_0756.jpg
    945.8 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC_0760.jpg
    DSC_0760.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 286
  • DSC_0749.jpg
    DSC_0749.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 280
This is such a weird little corridor now. Huge buildings on either side. A busy surface road and what? A few trees and a widened sidewalk? I'm glad the ramp is down, but it's weird trying to imagine what it will become.

Back