Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I just can't figure out how a car smashes through a metal barrier that easily.

1705778310583.png

Looks roughly like the spot .. and doubt that can stop a car that well (although note this image is from 2021 street view).

Wait.... so no deaths???

This CBC article is hard to figure out.

Toronto police say two people are in hospital, with one of them in life-threatening condition, after a collision Saturday morning resulted in a vehicle crashing into Lake Ontario.

Police said a vehicle crashed into the ice and went underwater after colliding with another vehicle in the area of Lakeshore Boulevard and Cherry Street at around 8:43 a.m. Police said the vehicle reportedly exited the roadway and entered into the Keating Channel.

Toronto paramedics said they transported two men to hospital, one with minor injuries and another in life-threatening condition.

Police said the vehicle that was underwater was extracted at 12:24 p.m. and no one was located inside. At 1:12 p.m., they said a person, believed to be the driver of the submerged vehicle, was recovered from the water in the same area.

Earlier Saturday Toronto Fire confirmed there was a person inside the vehicle under water.

Fire spokesperson Deepak Chagger said what started as a rescue effort became a recovery operation led by police. He said no one was seen exiting the vehicle that was reported to have crashed into ice before going underwater.

Chagger said fire crews entered the water but were not able to rescue the vehicle occupant. Toronto Fire says one firefighter was assessed by paramedics at the scene.

Driver recovered from water in same area. Does that mean alive or dead? Recovered sounds like dead but the article would surely say 'one dead' if that were the case.

Took me a moment to realize, ah yes- the road is right there, they can hoist out from there. But I suppose there’s no more access to that part of the Keating channel for larger/taller boats now right? Not even once they dig/flood the other section.

No more Keating dredging
The Keating will remain water and still be part of the exit of Don so I am not sure if they will continue to dredge it. If they don't it will eventually probably silt up and then ALL the water will go through new channel

...either way, eff'ing /bleh.

My thoughts and condolences goes out to those who are affected by this tragedy.

Yes a tragedy if an accident. At the risk of sounding callous I will say that cars ending up in The Lake are a very common occurrence! Not all incidents are accidents but rather driving under the influence or deliberately. There is a specific police code for it.

Apparently the fellow found in the water was brought back, briefly.........before dying in hospital a short while ago.

From CP24:

1705788379355.png

While I want to applaud the efforts to save the driver, once recovered; and absent fulsome facts, don't want to throw anyone under the proverbial bus, I do wonder if the outcome might have been different had more aggressive efforts been made to recover the driver earlier.

They pulled him from the water at about 1:15pm according to the above, which is roughly 4hrs 30m after he went into those frigid waters.

Yes a tragedy if an accident. At the risk of sounding callous I will say that cars ending up in The Lake are a very common occurrence! Not all incidents are accidents but rather driving under the influence or deliberately. There is a specific police code for it.

I'm not sure why you're saying 'If an accident'; that there was a collision between 2 vehicles has been documented in this thread.

But to add the on-point quote from the story linked above:

1705788705328.png

Yeah I'm totally confused by that as well:

An 18-year-old man was submerged in icy waters for hours. Crews arrived and initiated a rescue operation to save the driver. Significant efforts were made by Emergency Services on scene . At 12:24 p.m., crews removed the vehicle, but the driver was not inside, police said. About 50 minutes later, a person believed to be the driver was pulled out of the waters.

So the driver was what, thrown clear of the car or got out of the car but remained in the water for hours?

And those hundred or so emergency workers were spending all the time trying to pull the car out (maybe thinking he was still inside) and finally got it out but the guy had been in the water for hours just nearby?

And then they got him out but he died later?

This is so weird.

Yeah I'm totally confused by that as well:

So the driver was what, thrown clear of the car or got out of the car but remained in the water for hours?

And those hundred or so emergency workers were spending all the time trying to pull the car out (maybe thinking he was still inside) and finally got it out but the guy had been in the water for hours just nearby?

And then they got him out but he died later?

This is so weird.
Police/Fire don't have water rescue equipment and divers waiting. They need to be called in.

The investigation will show whether the driver was belted in when the car entered the water or not; and how the driver left the vehicle, etc.

It may take a few days or weeks. Final autopsy results will be weeks to months.

Has anyone got aerial shots of the Cherry St Lift Bridge as it would be a good time to do while it still in service before it is close and removed???

Been asked that question to a posting elsewhere and I don't do it and nice to have here for archiving.

Has anyone got aerial shots of the Cherry St Lift Bridge as it would be a good time to do while it still in service before it is close and removed???

Been asked that question to a posting elsewhere and I don't do it and nice to have here for archiving.
Not quite aerial shots, but here are 2 shots I took back in Aug. 2019 when the bridge was stuck in the up position.
Screenshot_20240121_075015_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240121_075029_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

Back