Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

The City's detailed (for the public) budget is now up.

I have begun my reading.

Herein, the Capital Budget for the Waterfront:

1704928764120.png

I rather hope the Commissioner Sewer is not going under the newly paved street.

If anyone has seen the Cherry St. North bridges and / or the Commissioners bridge this evening, you must have noticed how brightly illuminated they are ! Shown is the western Cherry North bridge (the Commisioners bridge is quite obscured by mountains of dirt from my viewpoint). As well a crosswalk was installed today between the bridge and Lake Shore Blvd East (shown in the photos). If this is final adjustment of the bridge lighting ... whoah, quite intense !

DSCF9938 (1).jpg

DSCF9940.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for updates. So exciting! I like the funds for conversion of the fireball to a community space. Am I wrong in remembering some sort of rendering for the facility? Also I am noticing the line item for a regional sports centre. Interesting!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for updates. So exciting! I like the funds for conversion of the fireball to a community space. Am I wrong in remembering some sort of rendering for the facility? Also I am noticing the line item for a regional sports centre. Interesting!
I seem to recall word the fireball would be for public bathrooms and a parks office maybe. Rendering wise I feel like I’d seen stuff at a community meeting at Regent Park that featured a covered market area- unsure if that’s going ahead or if it will go in the bin with the ferris wheel and double decker hockey rink

Drove by the fully lit up bridges last night. Looked spectacular. Really makes you go "Wow!" when you see it. Toronto needs so much more of this kinds of stuff.

Here's a close up shot of the street lights they've installed on Cherry.

View attachment 532579
As I can see from my balcony and in the photo @hawc posted, with this particular type of light fixture the light is aimed effectively to serve its purpose instead of spreading light into the sky (light pollution) using soft low-temperature LEDs. The light source is fully shielded or cut-off so that no light escapes above the horizontal. In this way, instead of projecting it upwards, it is directed downwards. Nice to see this type finally being installed !

Last edited:
As I can see from my balcony, with this particular type of light fixture the light is aimed effectively to serve its purpose instead of spreading light into the sky (light pollution). The light source is fully shielded or cut-off so that no light escapes above the horizontal. In this way, instead of projecting it upwards, it is directed downwards. Nice to see this type finally being installed !
It seems to be the new standard LED streetlight - used on King & Wellington downtown too.

i thought the new bridges were supposed to open today. i went this morning; still closed to construction. is there an updated WT timeline?

Back