Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Maybe an obvious question but, are these lovely new bridges designed to withstand a collision with a lorry that has its bucket up while driving over it?

I believe this will almost certainly happen in the Portlands at some future time, given the amount of ongoing construction activity in and around there.
I think the bridge superstructure is well above any 'erect' dump truck.

I don't know why, but the gates to new Cherry Street were WIDE OPEN this morning when I walked by.

There were no construction workers on site, no trucks pulling in and out, no police or security guards around, no one.

Just these wide open gates. I mean you literally could have driven in and driven down the dirt road and across the bridge if you wanted to.

So I decided to have a look around...

Yeah, they seem to be wide open on a frequent basis with little to no activity, and sometimes overnight

Hmmm... surprised it hasn't been tagged yet. Wide open target.
Give it time and it will happen soon

Nov 25
Commissioner and they say a thousand of words
53368679467_6e3e222abb_b.jpg

53369772028_76091bb006_b.jpg

53370036835_4e06747f09_b.jpg

53368685882_51b180b086_b.jpg

53369778533_0409f99d6c_b.jpg

The gates to new Cherry Street were WIDE OPEN this morning when I walked by.

I mean you literally could have driven in and driven down the dirt road and across the bridge if you wanted to.

.View attachment 524316
View attachment 524319
View attachment 524317
View attachment 524338
View attachment 524323
View attachment 524334View attachment 524335View attachment 524337
View attachment 524325
View attachment 524331
View attachment 524333
View attachment 524320
Thanks for taking and sharing those photos ! The view from my balcony this weekend ...
20231203_110242.jpg

Last edited:
Work on the repair of the Bascule Bridge 'foundations' seem to be drawing to a close. Work on the west side was completed late in 2022 and they have been working on east side in 2023. They have now poured the top concrete for the roadway on the east side and are working on east sidewalk concrete too. Based on their work on the west side last year they ought to finish the work off by Christmas. In 2024 they will start the work of cleaning, repairing and then painting the metal work and, installing a new motor for the lifting. See: https://www.portstoronto.com/portst...ronto-ship-channel-bridge-–-rehabilitati.aspx

The City were/are responsible for most of the work to date, Ports Toronto are dealing with the structure & the machinery. See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/mm/bgrd/backgroundfile-169129.pdf

The car that ran into the Lake a few days ago managed to find one of the few areas on the west side of bridge (at the north end) that is not well protected by a concrete barrier - I think it is still to be installed.

Though a lot clearly depends on the weather, based on a 'site visit' today, I continue to predict that New Cherry will certainly be fully paved by Christmas and that, at least the part of Commissioners west of the new bridge, will probably be done too. I did not venture to the east side but a couple of weeks ago they were working on the road base so ....

We shall see, or not!

From WT December Newsletter

We're getting ready to open New Cherry Street and Commissioners Street, including two new bridges. Joining the yellow Cherry South Bridge, which opened last year, these colourful crossings will be ready to welcome people walking, rolling, cycling and driving by the end of this year. We'll send a notice before the new roads and bridges open – including details for those interested in checking them out on opening day. You can also check for updates, including a new map you'll be able to download. Stay tuned!

The gates to new Cherry Street were WIDE OPEN this morning when I walked by.

I mean you literally could have driven in and driven down the dirt road and across the bridge if you wanted to.

.View attachment 524316
View attachment 524319
View attachment 524317
View attachment 524338
View attachment 524323
View attachment 524334View attachment 524335View attachment 524337
View attachment 524325
View attachment 524331
View attachment 524333
View attachment 524320
Beautiful. I hope they put barriers to block ppl from driving on the streetcar side of the new cherry street bridge, because we all know how drivers are in Toronto these days that seem to have ordered their drivers license off of Amazon smh.

Back