Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

@achender

Your post had me inventorying my pics, including those not posted here.

Is this the building that came down:

1666833642857.png

Went to the (current) dead end on Commissioner to look towards downtown and catch the new bridges from that angle; when the street is once again open it's going to be a nice gateway to all that new terraforming and river naturalization work. I noted in passing that the Pinewood expansion is well along. Didn't step onto the property to see if they're also building new studio and construction units, but the big building I did see looks like it's additional production office space. Very impressive, considering that there's going to be yet more production facilities a little further east, along Basin Street. A sign of new concentration and purposefulness for television and film here in the east end, very encouraging to se
Commissioner-Oct25-22A.png
Commissioner-Oct25-22B.png
Commissioner-Oct25-22C.png
Commissioner-Oct25-22D.png
Commissioner-Oct25-22E.png
Commissioner-Oct25-22F.png

I think this is the building that was demolished. Can't quite tell if the photo above is the same building.

Post #2 of my walk from yesterday. We left off looking north from Villiers at the new Valley wall. Again, my preference is to post pics in the order that I took them, so be patient and scroll....

Photos taken October 23rd, 2022:

Villiers looks like a bit of wasteland at the moment; but WT has opted to place giant pictures of the work site in the former median of the road:

View attachment 434446

I recently saw that the reopening of Commisioners St has been pushed back from January 31 to March 31 (and probably will again). Once it reopens, does anyone know if the temporary cycling route of Villiers -> Saulter -> Commisioners will switch fully to Commisioners? The section on Villiers is constantly unrideable due to giant deep puddles and mud, with jersey barriers that trap you in.

I recently saw that the reopening of Commisioners St has been pushed back from January 31 to March 31 (and probably will again). Once it reopens, does anyone know if the temporary cycling route of Villiers -> Saulter -> Commisioners will switch fully to Commisioners? The section on Villiers is constantly unrideable due to giant deep puddles and mud, with jersey barriers that trap you in.
Yes, it Villiers very muddy and will, of course, be rebuilt. New ommissioners will be a vast improvement and there are plans, or hopes, to have bike tracks on it from New Cherry to Leslie.

Ongoing Work

Overnight Lane Shifts on Lake Shore Boulevard East between Saulter Street and Logan Avenue: Scheduled to be complete by early November

To facilitate utility connections for the future Lake Shore Boulevard East, there have been nightly lane shifts at four intersections along Lake Shore Boulevard since July. The work is complete at Saulter and Morse Streets.

WHAT TO EXPECT
  • Lane closures along Lake Shore Boulevard East, between Saulter Street and Logan Avenue until early November.
  • Lane closures will be marked with traffic barrels
  • Traffic will be directed into the remaining open lanes
  • Road plates will be present in the work area during the day
  • Work includes excavation, compaction, and road reconstruction
Watermain Testing along Lake Shore Boulevard between Saulter Street and Logan Avenue: November

Once utilities work on Lake Shore Boulevard is complete, crews will begin testing and commissioning the new watermain. The testing will take place during the evening for approximately one week and is scheduled to start in mid November.

WHAT TO EXPECT
  • Rolling disruptions to water service during testing will affect businesses in the area bound by Lake Shore Boulevard East in the north, Logan Avenue in the east, Commissioners Street in the south, and Saulter Street in the west.
  • Affected businesses will be notified directly closer to the start of the work.
  • Residential properties will not be affected.
5cc5eaf8-f8ec-4efc-a941-52270eac33c7.png

Traffic Update

Logan Avenue closed south of Lake Shore Boulevard Intersection: November

To facilitate utility work, for 3-4 weeks in November, there will be no access from Lake Shore Boulevard East to southbound Logan Avenue, or from Logan Avenue northbound to Lake Shore Boulevard East. There will be no impact to lanes on Lake Shore Boulevard East.

WHAT TO EXPECT
  • No access to southbound Logan Avenue from Lake Shore Boulevard East
  • Northbound traffic on Logan Avenue from Commissioners Street will be restricted to local traffic only. There will be no access to Lake Shore Boulevard via Logan Avenue
  • Access to the Mayfair Racquet Club will be via northbound Logan Avenue, coming from Commissioners Street. There will be no access to Lake Shore Boulevard East from Logan Avenue
Saulter Street Closed between Lake Shore Boulevard and Villiers Street: Starting November 7

To facilitate utility work, Saulter Street will be closed between Lake Shore Boulevard East and Villiers Street. There will be no access to Saulter Street southbound from Lake Shore and there will be no access to Lake Shore Boulevard East from northbound Saulter Street. Work in the area is expected to last two weeks starting as soon as November 7. Some pre-construction work will take place in the roadway starting as soon as October 31; traffic will be controlled by flag persons.

WHAT TO EXPECT
  • No access to southbound Saulter Street from Lake Shore Boulevard East for approximately 2 weeks starting as soon as November 7
  • 685 Lake Shore Boulevard will be accessible on Saulter Street via Bouchette Street and Commissioners Street or Villiers Street
  • Access to Saulter Street south of Villiers Street will be maintained via Bouchette Street and Commissioners Street
  • Access to Lake Shore Boulevard East will be maintained via Villiers Street and Cherry Street
  • Cyclist and pedestrian routes will not be affected

Construction Update

a7b393ff-48d1-c367-879e-55dd748a4c44.jpeg
Above: The Cherry Street South Bridge opened to the public in October, 2022. It includes a fully separated bike lane and sidewalk
f5254a29-3a94-07d4-8ec6-7b0f0f82149b.jpg
Above: The newly opened section of Commissioners Street and Cherry Street currently traverses an area with little landscaping, for now.
f43e971f-878a-17e5-f5cb-29365a73ce7c.jpg
Above: Planting started in May and continued through until the fall. During planting seasons, 18,000 – 22,000 plants are delivered weekly to the construction site.
bf4c83b3-8e5e-dc66-b09c-086d959a198c.jpg
Above: After a wetland is planted, we string up wires with colourful ribbon on them to discourage birds from disturbing the plants before they have had time to establish
538b1a2a-400f-9ed8-849d-e2f6c2275adf.jpg
Above: The view from the newly opened Cherry South Bridge: Excavation along the water’s edge in future Promontory Park South.

Questions?​

To learn more about this project, please visit the Port Lands Flood Protection project website.

Yes, it Villiers very muddy and will, of course, be rebuilt. New ommissioners will be a vast improvement and there are plans, or hopes, to have bike tracks on it from New Cherry to Leslie.
Thank you. Good to know because that one stretch being horrible ruins the entire temporary route. Now lets hope Commissioners actually reopens by spring 2023...

Thank you. Good to know because that one stretch being horrible ruins the entire temporary route. Now lets hope Commissioners actually reopens by spring 2023...
Don't forget that the tracks on Villiers & Commissioners are really ALL temporary diversion tracks from the track along north side of Lake Shore Blvd from Don River to Logan ( and further east) which is unavailable while they work on LSE. When the work on LS is finished (late 2023??) the track there will be vastly better but, even so, a good track on Commissioners from New Cherry to Leslie would be great and it IS in the plans.

Post #3 (I think the final one) from my walk of the Portlands yesterday.

We left off having visited the newly open bridge on Cherry Street, next we will look at some views from that bridge, of Promontory Park under construction and of the more Northerly Cherry Street bridges.

Photos taken October 23rd, 2022:

View attachment 434525

View attachment 434527

View attachment 434528

View attachment 434529

View attachment 434530

View attachment 434531

View attachment 434537

Here's a view of those Commissioner Street bridges from the 1st post; but now looking back from the west, to the east. Note the hirises in the background, a very long way away (5.5km from the bridges, and about 6.3km from where the photo is taken:

View attachment 434535

Cherry Street North Bridges, looking north from the Cherry Street Diversion:

View attachment 434538

Cherry North bridges from existing Cherry bridge across Keating Channel:

View attachment 434539

Finally, Cherry North Bridges, look from the north-west to the south east (from Lake Shore Blvd)

View attachment 434540

View attachment 434541
The only problem I'm seeing with the view from the cherry street south bridge is that I feel the view of the CN tower might get disrupted. As you walk along the bridge the atlas crane blocks a chunk of the view albeit it will be a very good addition to the spot. So as you walk along the bridge to get the atlas crane out of the view, there is a very nice view of the skyline. However, I feel this might be short-lived. After the highest pinnacle one yonge building is up, it will block the CN tower partially. Without the atlas crane the view of the skyline would be spectacular even with the new building so it is quite the dilemma

From the WT October Newsletter an update on those very old seeds that were found deep in the muck:

1667411161129.png

Coyote Willow is not a common name with which I am familiar.

So I looked it up..........it's Salix exigua

I would call this (as would most here) Sandbar Willow.

It's a relatively common species here along shorelines and riverbanks.

Nothing wrong w/that; though whether its as old as a deep seebank or not is an open question (since its seed would already be in the area anyways.)

I asked around, and the research team is still actively growing samples from the area.

There are yet some potential points of interest; that require further research.

Last edited:
Some posts by Rocky the Ripper on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TheRockRipper

Rocky

@TheRockRipper
·
Nov 2

Reinforcing the east abutment of the Lake Shore Bridge by installing sheet pile walls in front of the existing dockwall. On the west side of the bridge, they're removing the existing abutment & will be building new piers to support the longer bridge
LSEBRidge.jpg

and:

Rocky

@TheRockRipper
·
Nov 1

Now that we moved that one section of Cherry Street, we can start digging again! Move over little plants, it’s Rocky’s time to shine! We have to dig out this whole area so that the water can eventually flow under the yellow bridge.

Rockyat yellow.jpg

Back