Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Many thanks for that. I had a request in to the City for that and a few other reports. It's a massive report, I've been perusing parts of it intently, but something that's slowly dawning on me is that the "$65M" in announced funding for the Essroc Quay project, and the (depending on source) "16 months to do it starting next year" doesn't jive with many of the conditions and provisos stated in the Rigg's Report. And beyond that, a number of reports aren't contiguous in a number of matters. With the levels and extend of contamination detailed and indexed, it's no wonder the projected cost of clean-up has quardupled in the final touted figure.

I'm setting up a meeting perhaps tomorrow, probably next week, to ask some detailed questions of what is expected for that "$65M". In the big scheme of things, it's a "pittance" as Waterfront have stated themselves, albeit a "beginning".

I'm looking at this now as a 'test case' of how costing and projections align with reality, but still want some answers from the inside, plus a few more reports listed in the http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uplo...h_and_hydrogeological_investigation_ghd_1.pdf
report, one of which I've already mentioned and partially quoted by its being so in the Gardiner report:
9. SLR, 2009: Subsurface Investigation in Support of the Environmental Assessment for the
Don Mouth Naturalization and Port Lands Flood Protection Project. Prepared by SLR
Consulting (Canada) Ltd. for the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority,
October 5, 2009.

Put me in the "let's move on an ambitious plan even though we know it's big and complicated because there's huge value in doing so while acknowledging it might actually be difficult" camp.
The basic premise of 'unplugging' the Don Mouth has to be done, there's no question about it, but if the three levels of government are serious about doing it, *even for this stage* (Essroc Quay project) they'd best be prepared to adequately fund this initial 'test case' (my term) to get results that can gauge what the rest of the project as espoused will cost. I still can't find absolute reference to this being the complete build, albeit there's a lot of insinuation of its being so. ("Take 16 months").

It's the Rigg's Report
Marine Engineering Services to Develop Preliminary Designs for
Land Creation Works Surrounding Essroc Quay
PRELIMINARY DESIGN REPORT

Submitted by:
Riggs Engineering Ltd.
1240 Commissioners Rd West
Suite 205
London, Ontario
N6K 1C7
March 14, 2016
that raises a lot of pertinent questions as to how this is to be accomplished from an engineering perspective. This report is "Preliminary"...I'd like to know that there's a final one before shovels go in the ground. I'll be requesting that in my meeting.

Last edited:
From that first deck, this image, IMHO, is a very underutilized view when it comes to the broader topic of waterfront revitalization. It gives a good sense of how all the various projects are seen as connecting to another and, in aggregate, meant to build a cohesive public realm experience.

It also underscores, though, how a great deal of attention has been (rightly) paid to east-west connectivity (i.e. moving about the various waterfront destinations whilst one is already down there), while the connectivity to the rest of the city northwards remains really rather poor. I know there are plans afoot to address that from the Distillery District, specifically, but I'd love to see a holistic plan to properly connect especially the touristy southcore-ish areas to the waterfront.

upload_2017-1-30_14-40-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-30_14-40-5.png
    upload_2017-1-30_14-40-5.png
    1,001 KB · Views: 333
A couple interesting tidbits in the latest WT report, including a name change? I don't recall seeing previous mention of that, but perhaps I missed it.

Early Works – Cherry Street Lakefilling Project (Previously Essroc Quay)

On September 14, 2016, the governments of Canada and Ontario and the City of Toronto announced $65 million in combined federal, provincial, and municipal funding for the Cherry Street Lakefilling project. The Cherry Street Lakefilling project forms part of the proposed scope of work and budget for the overall Port Lands Flood Protection and Enabling Infrastructure Project, but is being managed as a self-contained and stand-alone project that can be advanced independently.

Waterfront Toronto is working with the City of Toronto on the form and terms of the Contribution Agreement with an aim to finalize and execute the agreement by February 28, 2017. The coordination, securing, and tracking of permits and approvals is underway and City of Toronto staff are assisting in discussions with Ports Toronto with respect to securing appropriate land rights and accessing and filling the water lots at the Essroc Slip and mouth of the Keating Channel.

Michael Van Valkenburg Associates, the design team selected during the international design competition that developed the Preferred Environmental Assessment flood protection solution has been retained by Waterfront Toronto and has commenced design work. Concurrently an RFP has been issued for engineering services to retain a Lead Engineer. Site surveys, environmental and soils testing work has also been completed as required to inform zoning, design, and environmental requirements.

A key component of work involves approval by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans for the replacement of aquatic habitat displaced by the lakefilling process. The project team is coordinating closely with Aquatic Habitat Toronto to negotiate the final requirements for obtaining this approval including financial securities and quantities of habitat to be included in the project.

The project is moving forward to plan at this time.

Cherry Street Lakefilling Project gets underway this summer and to be completed by 2019.

A public meeting will be held in June for the new parks, as well the Risk management for the area. Currently looking at about 1.5m of earth to be place on the existing lands for the area.

A number of options on the table from keeping T35 building to removing it for a sport field. A number of options for retaining the building from having a year round cafe, sport rental (bike, roller blades, skies, skateboard), indoor play area for kids all year round, rock climbing, indoor soccer, events, etc.

Once the infilling is done and money obtain for the New Cherry St, a time frame will be announce as to when it will start and be completed, since it ranks as next project to go.

The New Mouth Of The Don should be completed 2024-25

Lead Engineer to be hired by the end of the month.

At its next meeting, on the 27th, the WT board will consider two items related to the project, the decks for both of which are linked here.

Port Lands Flood Protection and Enabling Infrastructure: Schematic Design and Environmental Approvals (Request for Capital Approval)
- To obtain Board approval to invest $10M in the commencement of design and implementation related to the Project
- The work will commence on or about April 1, 2017 if it is approved and is scheduled to be complete by "the end of 2017"

Here's what's included (and not included) in this project:

upload_2017-3-21_14-30-7.png

Port Lands Planning Framework

The decks, of course, refer to ongoing discussions "between all orders of Government" to identify funding/financing for the remaining unfunded portions of the broader project, though it'll be interesting to see tomorrow what of that is included in the federal budget.

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-21_14-30-7.png
    upload_2017-3-21_14-30-7.png
    366.4 KB · Views: 277

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-21_15-25-20.png
    upload_2017-3-21_15-25-20.png
    718 KB · Views: 315
I wonder if there is any room for tourism related activities, amusement, entertainment, culture and fun? I know this is Toronto but fun is not a dirty word in most of the world!

Basically there will be very little residential beyond Villiers Island.

AoD

Is this the initial zoning plan?

Interesting how much is being reserved to 'Production, Interactive and Creative', which I presume is the film industry.

Also interesting is the chunk of light industrial that remains in the northeastern corner. I would imagine that corner will be going via land speculation once the floodproofing is done and the first residential towers (and East Harbour) are underway.

In the Schematic Design Elements slide, it references BRT in the design of both Cherry Street and Commissioners Street - is that the plan? As opposed to streetcar/LRT tracks?

Basically there will be very little residential beyond Villiers Island.

AoD

Is this the initial zoning plan?

Interesting how much is being reserved to 'Production, Interactive and Creative', which I presume is the film industry.

Also interesting is the chunk of light industrial that remains in the northeastern corner. I would imagine that corner will be going via land speculation once the floodproofing is done and the first residential towers (and East Harbour) are underway.

Most of the land labelled "mixed use" will end up being retail and/or a few floors of office under high-rise residential (regardless of proposed amounts of PIC use). Plenty of space for tens of thousands of new residents, market willing.

Back