Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

IMO THe NFL can be built with private money. The problem is how and luring a team.

I think this second Cne could run most of the year, luring families downtown.

Isn't the first CNE suffering from a decrease in attendance? How about we fix the first CNE before we build a second one.

No one said it woudl be anchored by all of them - only that it appears they have had discussions with potential developers and stakeholders and this is the sort of thing they would attract as the anchor. This runs counter to the comments that a mall like Honeydale is what they plan to put there.

Whether any one of those retailers actually takes the plunge is another story, but there has been talk that Macy's has hired a law firm to look for Canadian spaces.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...ks-miracle-north-49th-parallel-150012662.html

J-Crew is already here in Toronto. Nordstrom in Vancouver: http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/...pping_110330/20110330?hub=BritishColumbiaHome and confirmation they're looking for locations: http://freyjalifestylefashion.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/nordstrom-coming-to-canada-too/

Saks apparently in on it as well: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/article1887056.ece

Is it really that much of a stretch that they would open stores in a more stable, underserviced Canadian market?

Doug Ford mentioned all three, specifically, on Metro Morning.

Nordstrom is not in Vancouver; they're exploring locations in Canada. Ditto Macy's. Regardless, the point is that Doug mentioned them specifically, by name, under the presumption that if he builds it they will come...and that these retailers base their expansion into foreign markets on years of planning and research, not "Holy shit, a mall with a monorail!"

My 2 cents:

Ferris wheel aside (which I think would be better placed at Ontario Place/CNE), the other two items being discussed have no place on the waterfront. I just don't understand why anyone would want elevated transit on our waterfront. People already complain about the wall of condos, the Gardiner and the train tracks blocking off the city from the water, so why would anyone want to make that worse. With the area very much still under development there is plenty of opportunity to accommodate both cars and LRT. As for the mall, why would anyone want to visit the waterfront only to spend all their time indoors. Indoor malls are for the suburbs where there's nothing outside to see or do. If more space for retail is desired than what is currently planned, it should come in the form of an outdoor pedestrian retail promenade.

That being said, I agree with other posters on here. The Fords have no intention of this ever being built. This a just a pie in the sky scheme meant to distract people with something shiny so they can grab the land from Waterfront Toronto and sell it off and pay for the financial disaster they've been creating since they took office.

Right, because Galleria and Honeydale is what they have in mind with Macy's as an anchor tenant? I don't disagree that outdoor shopping would be great there also, and there's no reason why they couldn't both exist. There are some great indoor/outdoor possibilities with the space available.

And what tells you Macy's is actually interested in entering the Canadian market especially since the newest numbers indicate Canadian retail is barely moving.

Doug Ford mentioned all three, specifically, on Metro Morning.

Nordstrom is not in Vancouver; they're exploring locations in Canada. Ditto Macy's. Regardless, the point is that Doug mentioned them specifically, by name, under the presumption that if he builds it they will come...and that these retailers base their expansion into foreign markets on years of planning and research, not "Holy shit, a mall with a monorail!"

He also mentioned the Saints would move to Toronto.
I won't be surprised if these companies get their lawyers involved soon.

My 2 cents:

Ferris wheel aside (which I think would be better placed at Ontario Place/CNE), the other two items being discussed have no place on the waterfront. I just don't understand why anyone would want elevated transit on our waterfront. People already complain about the wall of condos, the Gardiner and the train tracks blocking off the city from the water, so why would anyone want to make that worse. With the area very much still under development there is plenty of opportunity to accommodate both cars and LRT. As for the mall, why would anyone want to visit the waterfront only to spend all their time indoors. Indoor malls are for the suburbs where there's nothing outside to see or do. If more space for retail is desired than what is currently planned, it should come in the form of an outdoor pedestrian retail promenade.

That being said, I agree with other posters on here. The Fords have no intention of this ever being built. This a just a pie in the sky scheme meant to distract people with something shiny so they can grab the land from Waterfront Toronto and sell it off and pay for the financial disaster they've been creating since they took office.

This is the only scenario that makes any sense. I also think this plan might be a smoke screen, so the Fords can take control of the waterfront and sell it off for a really cheap price. (probably to their developer friends) Do people not see what's going on? Will the city just allow this to happen?

Oh, and speaking of the Fords, did you guys see that our mayor now admits that he doesn't have the private funding to back the Sheppard subway? I thought he told us he already had private companies who were willing to fund it? Where did they go or was it all a lie from the beginning?

How bad is it, when you have a mayor who never tells you the truth, so you always have to figure out what his true agenda is. Nothing he says makes any sense on its own.

I don't even think it's that complicated. Doug Ford is Vice Chair of Build Toronto, the agency set up by Miller to manage sections of the City's real estate portfolio and prepare lands for sale to the private sector. It's a potential cash cow for the city and could fund the kind of conservative budget strategies the Fords love. Things like years of property tax freezes and the elimination of the Land Transfer Tax are only the possible if our local government finds ways to bring in significant revenues from asset sales.

The Port Lands represents a high concentration of city-owned lands. It's currently only worth a fraction of what it would be worth once Waterfront Toronto rehabs it, but that could take 20 years or more. A quick sale to RioCan or Smart Centres, on the other hand, brings in immediate cash.
Thank you for clarifying it's the guy's JOB to talk to potential developers.

They they get $5-10 million per acre as they're floating is yet to be seen, but we're talking up to $10 billion in land value alone, infrastructure improvements and permanent revenues added to the tax base. It's understandable that someone would want to get the ball rolling sooner than 10-20 years from now.

I understand that the previous concepts were greatly ties to the Olympics and the revenues that would flow with it - but when we lost to Beijing someone should have started moving on alternate plans instead of just saying "some day".

This is the only scenario that makes any sense. I also think this plan might be a smoke screen, so the Fords can take control of the waterfront and sell it off for a really cheap price. (probably to their developer friends) Do people not see what's going on? Will the city just allow this to happen?

Oh, and speaking of the Fords, did you guys see that our mayor now admits that he doesn't have the private funding to back the Sheppard subway? I thought he told us he already had private companies who were willing to fund it? Where did they go or was it all a lie from the beginning?

How bad is it, when you have a mayor who never tells you the truth, so you always have to figure out what his true agenda is. Nothing he says makes any sense on its own.

'vibe, you're the first one to post as though you've read my mind.

I've been lazy to post this, so you get the prize, but I think the prize is only a crystal fly swatter, because the deviousness in Doug Ford's plan is just too transparent.

This whole situation has become disgusting. I am watching to see what City Council's response(s) will be ... will they just sell out or will they do their jobs?

Final word from me on this that Douggie has revealed his complete idiocy. This is fly-by-night, and it is not in the interests of the city at all. If Nordstrom (et al) are interested in Toronto, they will scope out Bloor, not some unserviced waterfront locale. And ferris wheels would directly compete with CNE, whose fate is under the magnifying glass right now. Douggie is just wasting time trying to justify his job. I hope this is as transparent to others as it is to me. He's a time waster, plain and simple. And he has no concept of what Toronto is. Suddenly the second-rate American icons such as Nordstrom and NFL are important to us? Not.

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying it's the guy's JOB to talk to potential developers.

They they get $5-10 million per acre as they're floating is yet to be seen, but we're talking up to $10 billion in land value alone, infrastructure improvements and permanent revenues added to the tax base. It's understandable that someone would want to get the ball rolling sooner than 10-20 years from now.

I understand that the previous concepts were greatly ties to the Olympics and the revenues that would flow with it - but when we lost to Beijing someone should have started moving on alternate plans instead of just saying "some day".

You understand that there is a fully-formed plan for the area that was unanimously approved by Council, right?

My 2 cents:

That is a good point about the monorail, many people already complain about the Gardner and overbuilding. It kind of runs contary to what many people believe the waterfront should be even if it can deliver in terms of effectively shuttling people about.

What is truly odd about the Ford`s is how blatantly they do things. From a politically savy perspective they sure do fail miserably regarless of the side one takes.

What is truly odd about the Ford`s is how blatantly they do things. From a politically savy perspective they sure do fail miserably regarless of the side one takes.

I find it hard to believe that anyone, even with daddy's help, could make it this far in business or politics and still be this dumb. This is the main reason for my previously stated suspicion of ulterior motive.

You understand that there is a fully-formed plan for the area that was unanimously approved by Council, right?
Yes, the same one that is being pushed out decades because no one is able to actually make it happen. I see no harm in at least opening the matter for discussion if someone can come up with a workable plan that actually has some kind of financing attached to it. If as part of Doug Ford's job at Build Toronto he has been presented with alternatives - is he supposed to shoot them down because someone else came up with a different idea that may or may never come to fruition? The same one that is also dependent on private developers that are not presently putting up the money because it isn't feasible?

I don't understand why these threads were merged. Its really messed up the chronology of the thread. The issues may be related, but they are their own issues.
Agreed.

Back