Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Views from the double bridge on Commissioners today, looking north. The water level is quite high!

1000016131.jpg
1000016130.jpg

Yikes that is really high. I wonder where it goes when it overflows? I didn't think the flood zones would be needed after some normal spring rains.

What's weird is that looks higher than the Keating Channel behind it which is lake height. But this should be lake height too since it's now connected to Lake Ontario at the south end. I wonder if its somehow trapping water. It is open to the lake on the south end.

Yikes that is really high. I wonder where it goes when it overflows? I didn't think the flood zones would be needed after some normal spring rains.

What's weird is that looks higher than the Keating Channel behind it which is lake height. But this should be lake height too since it's now connected to Lake Ontario at the south end. I wonder if its somehow trapping water. It is open to the lake on the south end.
Isn't it connected to the spillway/wetland that is a continuation of the riverbed going south to the Ship Channel?

Reactions: max

According to the Weather Channel, we haven't had "normal" spring rains - it's been very wet. 7th rainiest on record!

1713621421834.png

Rode through the area this afternoon. It is still really high. Basically just barely spilling over the top into the surrounding area a little bit.

I gotta think some of that is that despite the southern plug being partially removed it's not able to drain into Lake Ontario properly the way it will when it's fully opened at both ends (maybe some will also spill into Keating Channel?)

Otherwise we are going to see LOTS of flood events.

Rode through the area this afternoon. It is still really high. Basically just barely spilling over the top into the surrounding area a little bit.

I gotta think some of that is that despite the southern plug being partially removed it's not able to drain into Lake Ontario properly the way it will when it's fully opened at both ends (maybe some will also spill into Keating Channel?)

Otherwise we are going to see LOTS of flood events.
The 'spillway' going south into the Ship Channel is there to deal with high water events, this is to avoid 'flood events' and if water goes south into it, it should really not be called one.

Are Sakura Cherry trees native or invasive?
...probably Northern Light-sensei will likely have a more detailed answer for this. But I reckon since they're not growing everywhere, I am going to wager a "no" on that.

Back