Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

This would be a dream come true imo. It would've been really nice if they had gone with the bridge connecting the east side of the island to the Lower Don Lands. Bridges connecting either side of the island to the mainland would be incredible for public access to green space and would lead to so much more use of the island.
As strange as it sounds, I think that was part of the push back. A lot of the findings from the wider study the city did did suggested that part of the charm and uniqueness of the island is keeping the crowds manageable and leaning into its natural state/environmental biodiversity.

The fear is (at least in part) that easier connection = more people = more trash and impact on the natural state of the island.

As strange as it sounds, I think that was part of the push back. A lot of the findings from the wider study the city did did suggested that part of the charm and uniqueness of the island is keeping the crowds manageable and leaning into its natural state/environmental biodiversity.

The fear is (at least in part) that easier connection = more people = more trash and impact on the natural state of the island.
Interesting. I guess I could see how that would be a concern. But even so, Tommy Thompson Park is a large greenspace connected to land and I wouldn't say it has that problem. But maybe the island would get a lot more traffic because of its more central location.

There is also a very practical problem with a bridge over the Eastern Gap. It either needs to be very high so ships can pass over it or it needs to be a lift bridge. A very tall bridge needs very long approach roads which would spoil both the Island and the Port Lands, a lift bridge could be a bit lower but has ongoing costs. That said, I think one of the charms of The Island is that it IS an 'excursion" to get there. Yes, the Ferry Docks could be improved and the ferries a bit faster but the journey is part of the experience.

Interesting. I guess I could see how that would be a concern. But even so, Tommy Thompson Park is a large greenspace connected to land and I wouldn't say it has that problem. But maybe the island would get a lot more traffic because of it's more central location.

The Islands have playgrounds, children's gardens, a small amusement park, concerts and a couple of beaches.

Until relatively recently, TTP didn't even have a single pubic washroom.

TTP still doesn't provide for picnic spaces, no restaurants, no rides, no play equipment etc. That, I would add, is largely as it should be, given that its turned into such a wonderful ecological space.

I think there's room for some kind of transportation option on the spit, given its length, probably a couple more washrooms, but it should never have any substantial non-natural component.

Last edited:
The Islands have playgrounds, children's gardens, a small amusement park, concerts and a couple of beaches.

Until relatively recently, TTP didn't even have a single pubic washroom.

TTP still doesn't provide for picnic spaces, no restaurants, no rides, no play equipment etc. That, I would add, is largely as it should be, given that its turn into such a wonderful ecological space.

I think there's room for some kind of transportation option on the spit, given its length, probably a couple more washrooms, but it should never have any substantial non-natural component.
There has been (and still is) a port-a-potty on the trail south/west of the island bridge (near the cormorant area) but I agree a couple of better washroom might be nice - if TRCA has resources to keep them clean!!

There is also a very practical problem with a bridge over the Eastern Gap. It either needs to be very high so ships can pass over it or it needs to be a lift bridge. A very tall bridge needs very long approach roads which would spoil both the Island and the Port Lands, a lift bridge could be a bit lower but has ongoing costs. That said, I think one of the charms of The Island is that it IS an 'excursion" to get there. Yes, the Ferry Docks could be improved and the ferries a bit faster but the journey is part of the experience.

You can technically have a single-mast, one-sided cable-stayed swing bridge. It would certainly be iconic.

Analogue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_City_Footbridge

It would be much much greater span than the example above.

AoD

A lot of dust blowin' round this eve !

20230602_185101.jpg

20230602_185055.jpg

20230602_185141.jpg

Last edited:
...so there was a brief dust storm before that heavy rain and hail hit. I thought I was just imaging things up my end of town. >.<

We had heavy rain on the downtown east side, but no hail that I saw! We were actually having a picnic in Sackville, biked home with no rain and between us entering the parking garage and getting up to our apartment, the skies totally opened up.

This is the work at Lake Shore & Cherry to create the link to New Cherry Street. Not that it means it is opening immediately this is finished but this obviously needs to be done before New Cherry can open. (They will also need to divert the Martin Goodman - not sure if this is happening during this time period too.)

Lake Shore Blvd E from east of Cherry St to west of Cherry St​

Id:R6754826
Closure
Type: Hazard
Time Frame: Daily
From May 30, 2023
Until: June 9, 2023
Hours:6:00 am to 6:00 pm
Severity Impact: Major
Road Class: Major Arterial
District: Toronto and East York
Contractor: Ellis Don Civil Ltd
Description: Toronto-TMC: Eastbound and westbound one lane occupied due to complete works in the median.

This is the work at Lake Shore & Cherry to create the link to New Cherry Street. Not that it means it is opening immediately this is finished but this obviously needs to be done before New Cherry can open. (They will also need to divert the Martin Goodman - not sure if this is happening during this time period too.)

Lake Shore Blvd E from east of Cherry St to west of Cherry St​

Id:R6754826
Closure
Type: Hazard
Time Frame: Daily
From May 30, 2023
Until: June 9, 2023
Hours:6:00 am to 6:00 pm
Severity Impact: Major
Road Class: Major Arterial
District: Toronto and East York
Contractor: Ellis Don Civil Ltd
Description: Toronto-TMC: Eastbound and westbound one lane occupied due to complete works in the median.

I drove south out the bottom of old Cherry Street at Lake Shore Blvd for the first time in a long time. They had just removed the pylons and opened it up on Saturday morning. Could not drive north up old Cherry street from Lake Shore blvd. But maybe that has been opened up since. It's funny Google Maps still shows both directions close, but I definitely drove it southbound open on Saturday morning.
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 10.36.37 AM.png

Back