Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

There seems to be a large ship pulled up near the Cherry St bridge that is labeled TorontoDrydocks.com. I don't think it's usually there. Anything interesting going on?
A real ship or a barge used to do dredging or quay repairs? They seem to own only one 'ship' -The Costal Titan https://www.torontodrydock.com/project/tugs-and-barges/

Coastal Titan​

Specifications:
Port of Registry: Toronto, Canada
Length: 91.5 m
Beam: 10.4 m
Draft: 5.0 m
Gross Tonnage: 2929
Combined Lift: 432 t
Tank Top Capacity: 10.0 t/m2
Ramp Capacity: 1,000 t
Deadweight: 5,500 t
Container Capacity: 200
Grain Capacity of Cargo-hold: 114,800 cu.ft

Details: Provides multi-functional barge services of RoRO, LoLo, complete with Bow/Stern Ramps, 2 Stuelken Booms rated at 216 metric tonnes each, self sufficient operating machinery to function independently on job sites.

Viking Octantis - which prompted my visit to the area
That is not the one marked TorontoDryDocks.com and seems to be berthed in the Cruise Ship Terminal.

The purple is the Viking Octanis, the blue dot at the cement plant is the Hecate Strait #1 - apparently a fishing vessel, though why's it's there is a mystery!!

1654974236676.png

A real ship or a barge used to do dredging or quay repairs? They seem to own only one 'ship' -The Costal Titan https://www.torontodrydock.com/project/tugs-and-barges/

Coastal Titan​

Specifications:
Port of Registry: Toronto, Canada
Length: 91.5 m
Beam: 10.4 m
Draft: 5.0 m
Gross Tonnage: 2929
Combined Lift: 432 t
Tank Top Capacity: 10.0 t/m2
Ramp Capacity: 1,000 t
Deadweight: 5,500 t
Container Capacity: 200
Grain Capacity of Cargo-hold: 114,800 cu.ft

Details: Provides multi-functional barge services of RoRO, LoLo, complete with Bow/Stern Ramps, 2 Stuelken Booms rated at 216 metric tonnes each, self sufficient operating machinery to function independently on job sites.

That's the ship. I can only kind of see it from my balcony, but it's definitely new to that spot.

June 11th-I had no idea what this was when I was shooting it this morning. Fortunately, this thread was at the top of the forum.

Here is a short video (HD version was still processing when I posted)

Here are some photos:
View attachment 406640View attachment 406642View attachment 406641View attachment 406639View attachment 406643
Great shot of the area and a lot change since I last shot the area. Have to shoot Cherry St area as that is the next area to see a major change next. Then extending the Don south of the Keating Channel to the New Mouth of the Don.

For things that were to be open in Aug, clearly it will be next year before they opens up like I have stated for some time.

Will not be in town when the bridge arrives and will have a look at it when we get back.

That is not the one marked TorontoDryDocks.com and seems to be berthed in the Cruise Ship Terminal.

The purple is the Viking Octanis, the blue dot at the cement plant is the Hecate Strait #1 - apparently a fishing vessel, though why's it's there is a mystery!!

View attachment 406649
Ah my mistake. Do you mean this little guy?

DJI_0448ce.jpg

There seems to be a large ship pulled up near the Cherry St bridge that is labeled TorontoDrydocks.com. I don't think it's usually there. Anything interesting going on?
It was merely moved from the ship channel (where it's normally moored) to the Keating Channel next to bridge in order to accomodate the CSL lake freighter offloading salt in the ship channel. As well, the Viking Octantis was moored in the Port Lands as well. The TorontoDryDock barge is now where the Octantis was yesterday, and soon it will be moored in the ship channel again. Just a matter of displacement.

Seeing these bridges sitting over dry land, I dunno, looks intriguing to me. I even went to get my own photos. Reminds me of those photos of the bridges that were eventually buried with Garrison Creek.

June 11th-I had no idea what this was when I was shooting it this morning. Fortunately, this thread was at the top of the forum.

I noticed and liked this post right away, but didn't take time to comment on what I could........I will correct that:

1655081979914.png

In the upper right of this image you will see some of the initial plantings, particularly on the curves of the 's' in the valley.

You're also seeing the final river bed going in...

1655082096184.png

In the lower portion of the above image we see large piles of both armour stone (the large boulders) and rip rap (smaller rocks); the rip rap will be the base of many wet areas, while the armour stone will line the sides.

Last edited:
I was wondering when will the developers be allowed to start building on the Villiers Island parcel of land? And is there a hieght restriction on that land?

I was wondering when will the developers be allowed to start building on the Villiers Island parcel of land?

There is a wildly optimistic hope for 2025......but it could be a year or two further out.

Occupancy begins between 2027-2029

And is there a hieght restriction on that land?

Yes, there are height restrictions. We've got the plans somewhere in this thread.........

For the most part, the heights here will be midrise, with some exceptions.

The very end of 2023. Sometime between October-December.
That depends on when commissioner St is open and don't see it happen until 2024.

Villiers St cannot be close and dug up until Commissioner is open. You have to place an cofferdam in front of the Keating Channel wall to remove it as well the earth from it to the new river that includes the current Villiers road.

Since the Cherry St Road bridge is not here yet and Commissioner St not built yet, the Aug opening date will be miss.

The Bridge should be on the move any day with M Louis sitting at the yard to move it now. The bridge could be here June 20-25 and in place a few days later. Then you have to form the deck for concrete and back fill the ends that puts you in to July/Aug.

As for height restriction, bulk will be mid rise with one at Old Cherry St and Villiers St being taller than 30 story that I know of.

I stand to be wrong

Back