Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Really, who gives a crap about what Ford thinks the private sector should do? By know, some people in the private sector are looking at this guy and thinking that he is absolutely the jerk he appeared to be. It's also abundantly clear that Rob is functioning as mayor in body only. His brother is the mayor.

If some people desire the construction a monolithic stadium on the waterfront, then fantasize away. Realizing such a fantasy would result in the paving over much of the waterfront for parking. There is no hope in hell that that public money for such a white elephant would be met with approval by a significant portion of the population, and every level of government recognizes that. Then, of course, this is the mayor's office that has promised to build a $4 billion subway line with private money.

Mayor Doug should stick with the equally stupid big Ferris Wheel concept. That way he and Robby can keep on track to cementing their legacy as the worst thing that ever happened to Toronto.

Honestly, an NFL stadium. Is this where things have descended to?

Regardless of the fact that the cost to build the actual stadium would be upwards of a billion dollars, and the actual franchise fee paid to the league close to the same figure, this is the absolute worst spot for a NFL Stadium.

NFL Stadiums mean tailgating, and parking. Lots of it. Do we really want to pave over our waterfront? Really? What a shame.

This also means accessibility. The Gardner and DVP are already so badly overtaxed, and placing the stadium at the bottom of both would be ridiculously stupid.

I hope this plan dies. What an atrocity.

I concur.

Khris and Automation Gallery... I hate to point it out since Art Vandelay's opinion differs from mine but he was obviously being sarcastic in his first post.

wopchop makes some great points about the logistics of the proposed location. I hope the plan dies too. If it does somehow get built I hope its a huge financial disaster for those involved.

Last edited:
Regardless of the fact that the cost to build the actual stadium would be upwards of a billion dollars, and the actual franchise fee paid to the league close to the same figure, this is the absolute worst spot for a NFL Stadium.

NFL Stadiums mean tailgating, and parking. Lots of it. Do we really want to pave over our waterfront? Really? What a shame.

This also means accessibility. The Gardner and DVP are already so badly overtaxed, and placing the stadium at the bottom of both would be ridiculously stupid.

I hope this plan dies. What an atrocity.

You do realize that roughly half of the stadiums in the NFL are located in downtown locations right? I'll debunk your entire post by telling you to go look at the area around Soldier Field (psst... that's in Chicago).

Using the Bills as an example isn't very good. They aren't Toronto's team. Why would people care to see them?

I'll use the Argonauts then. :) I don't think there is enough demand to justify building a 70,000 seat NFL stadium on the waterfront. Plus, as I said, the building of the stadium wouldn't automatically give us an NFL franchise. There are backstage politics we haven't seen.

I'll use the Argonauts then. :) I don't think there is enough demand to justify building a 70,000 seat NFL stadium on the waterfront. Plus, as I said, the building of the stadium wouldn't automatically give us an NFL franchise. There are backstage politics we haven't seen.

I think the Bills and Argos are bad examples of potential for the NFL in Toronto. Toronto supports big league (which the CFL isn't) teams from Toronto (which the Bills aren't). The NFL is big in Toronto, especially with the changing demographics of the city.

It most definitely is in the cards, but a big point holding it back is the lack of a proper stadium. The fact that this is even being considered is a good sign, as it would suggest there is some confidence that a team could move here (from a business perspective). Potential proposals like this don't go ahead without significant support that there is a potential profit (as in a NFL team moving here).

And plus, NFL in Toronto would be amazing!

If it has to happen, I suggest Downsview on the subway line

Id rather it be at wilson station... Still on Subway... Still close to 401... Still lots of land....

Downsview has a chance to be redeveloped for 365 days a year use... Id hate to see that good land be wasted for 8 home games a year... WILSON works just as well.

Last edited:
That would suggest that the other 90 events would be things like the circus and concerts.. The problem is why would a artist want to perform uptown when they could perform downtown in the cultural hub... a NFL stadium norht of the city would only get booked IF a muscian needed more then 60,000 seats... How often would that happen? U2? The Stones? Future Gaga? Madonna? It would be VERY rare...

Maple Leaf Gardens was built with private money. The Air Canada Centre was built with private money. The potential owners (if there are any) are more then welcome to do the same. That $1 billion+ could be spent in much better ways.

It seems like yesterday that the Fords made a fuss about a $23 million bridge... oh wait... it was yesterday. Now they want to go out and spend a $1 billion on a stadium that is going to be used 8 times a year!

You do realize that roughly half of the stadiums in the NFL are located in downtown locations right? I'll debunk your entire post by telling you to go look at the area around Soldier Field (psst... that's in Chicago).

Yeah, I do. I've never been to Chicago, so I can't comment on the specifics of that stadium. You can cut the bullshit snark, btw.

Anyway, my problem isn't that it's downtown. My problem is with it being in the Portlands. I feel that a stadium and the associated parking lots that would likely get built (do you really think they'd build garages?) compromises the vision of the neighbourhood.

I also feel like the accessibility problem is a real issue, and one that you didn't debunk at all, actually. Saying that other NFL stadiums are in downtown locations doesn't address that issue. At all.

In any case, I don't think that it is likely that we will see an investor willing to fork over $2 billion dollars to make this happen. Seems like a pipe dream.

Back